iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting up a Woodmizer in a chicken barn

Started by maineframer, September 08, 2007, 02:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maineframer

Well, I am awaiting the arrival of a new LT40GHD with 12' extension and Edger. We will be using this setup to mill beams for our Timber framing business. I am looking for advice on sawmill set up and door opening sizes. We have a 36x240' chicken barn posted at about 20' to the eave. I would like to open up the south side with a 36' header. I am also planning on removing some posts and put 8x10" lintels in thier place. I am looking for ideas and advice for storing lumber (inside) and organizing the work flow. We will not be movig this mill(I hope). I would like to use 36x108' for the sawmill,lumber storage,dust collection etc. My main concern is having a wide enough brow area and being able to move long lifts of material in and out with ease. Any thought are welcome.
David

Dave Shepard

I like the dimensions of your building, many times longer than wide. This is good for material flow. Are you going to be storing long timbers and boards in the barn? If so, I think you are going to need several wide openings other than the one for the mill. I have a few ideas about material flow, I will try to make a sketch later and see if I can get it into the computer. Congrats on the new mill!

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

maineframer

Thanks Dave,

I will be storing the boards,planks and 2x material that I will accumulate in the cuttting of the larger timbers. My initial plan is to bundle these in lifts an sell them as units. I would like to store as much of this indoors as possible. I didn't mention the current support post layout.
Very simple---- there are posts every 12' on center ------so along the 36' way there are two posts for every 12 feet lineal.  :)
David

Bibbyman

How are you going to keep the chickens from messin' everything up?

smiley_turkey_dancing
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

maineframer

David

Dave Shepard

How far apart are the posts in the other direction? This may pose a problem with trying to get stacks of lumber out, unless you cut everything down to 10'.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

maineframer

The posts are 12' on center in BOTH directions and thus my problem. I have been thinking of raising 8x10" carrying beams 36' long and they would each eliminate two posts. I have 26' Hemlock that I bought for this purpose and I would need to scarf on another 10 feet.
David

Dave Shepard

Hemlock seems like a good choice for that. I don't think you would have to do the whole area, just the areas you want to store the lumber. I have several posts in the sawshed I work in, and they are always in the wrong spot. :-\ There isn't a gutter cleaner in the barn is there, that would be handy for sawdust removal.

Dave

maineframer

Dave,

There is no gutter cleaner. We do have two grain bins (possible sawdust hoppers???) and several exaust fans (about 30 fans total) My other brainstorm is to construct              "Floor Trusses"         36' long and install them to eliminate posts.
David

Furby

maineframer

Snow load is 40 #psf . Above the 8x10 " Header will be the existing compsite nailed  carry beam it has a total demension of 8x7".
David

DanG

Congrats on your mill purchase Maineframer! 8)  This has got to be an exciting time for you.

Just one question...how long have the chickens been gone?  Chicken litter is notorious for rusting out or corroding most any metal.  Just be sure the place has been thoroughly cleaned.  If it's a dirt floor, you might even consider scraping off a few inches and replacing it with fresh dirt.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

maineframer

Thanks Dan,

Yes I can hardly wait to start making sawdust . Well the barn has a concrete slab and is quite clean. The chickens have been gone for 5-6 years now . What is nice is that I have alot of implements ( winches, feeders,bins, etc. to fabricate new things  8)
David

Dan_Shade

fill the barn with sawdust, and that should take care of the chicken "leftovers"
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Justin L

I read about a couple brothers who turned a hog barn into a woodworking shop. It was fine but every time it rained the humidity brought out the smell again. They never could get rid of it. The funny thing is they were some famous actors :D

Maybe some extra powerwashing with detergent before it's full of equipment?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

maineframer

David

LT40HDD51

Congrats on the new mill. Tell Ross the boys in Nova Scotia say hello  :).

One thing that comes to mind is a converted barn I saw with lumber stored inside. It was very long and narrow, with the only doors on the ends. When the guy eventually got the place full of lumber over a few years, it took a lot of lugging to carry out a 2000' order for someone  :D. Like Dave Shepard said in his first one...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

maineframer

Ian,

I will tell Ross Hello. We are opting not to do all that lugging hopfully a long header will help.Do the guys you service up your way saw alot of white cedar? Any timberframers that you take care of? Just wondering what is going on in the Great Northern Territories.
David

LT40HDD51

We have a lot of eastern cedar in New Brunswick, but not much here in Nova Scotia, only pockets here and there. Actually, I have 10 000' of red oak to saw for a timberframer pretty soon, and I saw for a log home builder quite regularly...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Handy Andy

Don't know if you have put up your beams yet, but in my experience it is really easy to use too small a beam for a big opening. I think a better idea would be to look for some used I beams. Of steel. A small I beam will carry what a big wood beam will carry. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Haytrader

Here is a picture from my gallery of my used to be sawshed.

I used 2"x6"x3/16" wall rectangular tubing stacked two high and spanned 30'.
The tubing pieces were 20' long so I staggered the joints. I am confident you could go 40' clear span like this.
Just posted this to give you another option.

Haytrader
Haytrader

logwalker

Haytrader, did you weld the 4 pieces into a solid unit? Could you describe the welding schedule? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Freddy

Idea for lumber storage.
Modify to your likings. Glue the joints before Nailing or screwing together. You could also bore holes thru the 4x4's and insert pipes into the holes to make removable shelves. The open sides on either side are great for just setting boards onto (Mine is up against the house to provide weather protection, so I'v only got one side open. I attatched a tin roof to shed water.

Freddy

That last picture is too small. view it in the photo gallery so you can see it.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!