iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need alittle help with my new Oscar 18"

Started by kojacksback, September 06, 2007, 11:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kojacksback

Well i'm a newbee and have recently purchased my first bandmill a Hud-son 18". (just love making lumber).  Anyway during a cut the head started to vibrate and got pretty noisey so i shut it off and decided to check it over.  Upon checking out all the nuts and bolts i noticed that a bolt had fallen out of one of the head upright guides on top.  I put it back in and tightened it up,  now i can no longer get the head to move up and down smoothly (one side is always hanging up when trying to lower the head).  I tried loosening up both bolts in each upright and readjusting, but it's always the same outcome.  There is nothing about this in the manual or anything else.  So am i missing something?    Any help would be greatly welcome.

-kojacksback

thecfarm

kojacksback,welcome to the forum.Sorry I can not help you,but I know some members have Hudsons.I know they will help you.By the way,if this is a new saw I would be checking for more loose nuts and bolts.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dan_Shade

are you talking about one of the eye-bolts that the cables attach to?  if it's not adjusted properly, the head is wracking on the posts. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Haytrader

Although your mills problem is more than likey minor, I would give the manufacturer a call.
They will have you going in less time than it took me to type this more than likely.

Wecome to the Forestry Forum also.
Haytrader

Dan_Shade

if it's a support post, it's probably out of alignment, causing the head to stick while going up and down. 

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Mr Mom

I am building my mill right now and i have four 1" dia rod with tomsons bearing to help raise and lower the head.
I had to do each rod by itself and here is how i did them.
first get the sawhead down to the sawbed as far as you can. then lossen the bolt that you tighen.then run the sawhead to the top and then tighen the bolt. i did this after i fought with four rods and tapping here and there on diffrent rods try ting to get it to go up and down.
I do not know if this helps but try it it might. My sawhead has some sticking but that is because the motor is not on the back and it is off balance(i hope) and if not i will do the samething when i get the motor on.
Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Mr Mom

Forgot to say that you have to check and make sure that your sawhead doesnt hit any part of the sawcarrage when you raise it up.
Thanks Alot Mr Mom

kojacksback

Well I called the manufacturer about the problem today and they suggested i leave the top bolt loose on the upright that is binding so it will self alighn.  I did try that already, but doesn't seem like fixing the root problem....

Radar67

Have you checked to see if the guide the upright goes through is bent or buggered up? Have you lubed the upright? I've got a Oscar 28 and it will hang if the upright isn't lubed up.

Welcome to the forum.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

kojacksback

Ya know tonight i did clean both uprights real good and regreased them.  Found that there was a bunch of sawdust cramed in the tubes that slide on the uprights.  Works good now except when raise the head towards the maximum height then it snags comming down.  Cut a few more logs afterwards until dark.  I wonder if the wife is going to get lonely. ;D  Just love this stuff.

Radar67

At maximum height, mine snags a little too. I don't cut logs that big very often.

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Dan_Shade

transmission fluid (ATF) works pretty good for lube, sawdust doesn't stick like it does to grease or motor oil.

Radar67

kojacksback

Yeah i noticed that,  I used some all purpose grease and it really gets gooey.  Thanks all for the help.

arj

My Oscar 36 has a bolt that locks the head in position for transporting
try looseing it a little
                                         arj

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I use a dry teflon spray sold at many places:  "Blaster"
Can't remember the manufacturer.

Your addiction to sawdust sniffin' is developing nicely already!

:D    :D          ;D

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Porta mill

a few things to try
first lower the head down  and make sure both sides are  the same hight off the track, if they are out of adjustment  they might bind like the others mentioned lube the uprights ofted  . atf it the cheepest thing to use and it works well or you might want to try PB blaster  you can find it at a auto part,s store or evan wall mart. aver all are you hapy with your hudson I have a oscar 28 have a hard time keeping the edges square  haven't figured out that bug yet .

Radar67

I think it is the clamps causing the edge out of square. I've had to shim mine on occasion to make sure the edges stay square. They are just not stout enough to hold the log or cant on the deck, unless it is a big log.

Stew

Rancher

I've had my Oscar 36 for over 3 years and once in a while I'll get in a hurry and find an edge out of square as well. Usually it's on a smaller log. The clamp will lift the log a bit on one side. I have to make sure not to clamp it too tight.
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

kojacksback

Yeah I would say i'm happy, except for the clamps i'm alittle disappointed.  When i first started i couldn't  get my cants square either.  Tried the measureing the blade on both sides to make sure it was even and that didn't work so i just called hud-son and they said i was clamping to tight and sure enough i was. Lightly clamping the cants did the trick,  But the clamps just seem so sloppy and clumsy to me.

Radar67

I've got a few ideas for modifications/replacement of the clamps, just haven't had the time to get started on them.

One quick way to make sure the cant is square to the blade is to draw a line across the cant with a framing square once the opening cut and the 180 cut are made. It works for me.

I've also noticed clamping too tight causes the problem. Once I have a square edge, I have been guilty of not clamping at all, just letting the bunk stops keep the cant in place.

Stew

Thank You Sponsors!