iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Busy trucking don't have time to saw

Started by slider, September 05, 2007, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

need some advice  I   have some dead pine that I don't have time to saw any ideas on how to make this stuff last until I can get it on the mill.I wonder if I cut it into cants would it buy me some time? That's half the job then you half to get it back on the mill a second time
al glenn

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the forum slider! How far gone are they? If the bark is loose and you can get that off, and get them off the ground, you may be able to go quite a while. I sawed some pine yesterday that I cut exactly one year ago. The bark was just about all off and I didn't have any bug damage, which I was surprised. The wood was still sound as well. These logs were up off the ground the whole time.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

Slider,
There's no indication of where you are located and that is important.  You say dead pine.  If that means that it's been on the ground for a month or so, there is probably not much to do but get it off of the ground and get the bark away from it.   It has probaby already been inoculated with blue stain.  It may or may not have the sap wood beginning to deteriorate.

If the trees were freshly down, I'd say submerge them or sprinkle them and keep them constantly wet.  Sprinkling may still do some good by producing an environment that is not conducive to decay.  It's the getting wet and drying out cycles that cause the most rot.

On the other hand, I've had logs remain in good shape for 3 to 10 months without taking too much special attention.  It's hard to define a time period.  Sawing into lumber quickly and stacking the lumber is the best way.

slider

thanks four your timely reply dave and tom.the timber is still standing . I 'll be cutting it soon.It's in different stages of decay.I sometimes take a hammer with me and whack it before i cut it . If it sinks in I usually leave those alone.                                                                                                                                    Tom i'm just north of you about 2 hours .I have access to some dead or lightning struck wood.Don't think i'm being lazy I 'm just a weekend sawyer .right now i'm tied up building a shelter over my LT-70 tired of covering that baby up.thanks again.
al glenn

Haytrader

::)

Thats a lot of saw for a weekender.
Envious here.
;)
Haytrader

Furby

slider

Haytrader and furbey thanks for the comeback . Don't get the wrong idea , I spent 6 years on  and Lt-40 ,built a home sawed part time when trucking was slow  for the public and enjoyed every day of it.I was partners on the 40 that changed. I found the 70 on ebay great deal ,as you say a lotta saw for a weekender but I see it as suplimental income.For now the truck helps make the woodmizer payment and in 3 years i'll have one fine piece of equipment . I won't be trucking forever but i'll be sawing most likely.
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!