Hickman County TN does not allow samill (Green Lumber in cabin construction)

Started by just_sawing, September 05, 2007, 06:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I could not believe what I was told by the county goverment of Hickman County TN. If it is a cabin even one in the woods that you are only going to use during hunting season I was told that sawmill lumber is illeagal. This is a crooked traversty. I have been sawing for 15 years and the normal lumber that I turn out is above 84 lumbers best. I start with number one or two logs sawing poplar for use where it is legal to use what westeners call pith fir.
I have no problem with standards that are fair but the trash that you are forced to use is not even comparable to what I sell 30 % less.
I imagine that Hickmans county officals probably own lumber yards.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Dave Shepard

What about timber and log construction? You kinda hafta use green, in fact, I wouldn't do it any other way. Are they specifically prohibiting green lumber, or just lumber that is not stamped? If using 2x construction, I would want it at least air dried, not green off the mill. It sounds like it is time to get together with other mill owners and educate the building inspectors. I know the feeling of digging through the piles of construction lumber at the lumber yard for stuff that is usable. :(

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

you may be able to have a notarized statement of what you are doing put into the deed at the courthouse.  some counties allow this.  the building codes are supposed to protect the next person.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don P

The codebook does say that lumber must be gradestamped by a grader from an accredited grading agency. It does not say anything that prohibits green construction. States or localities can adopt stricter regulations if they choose to. Usually if you have one of "those" inspectors they will ok it if you hire in a grader. I've worn a comfortable spot in the brick wall if you want to have a go  ;D.

woody1

In our county..you need a building permit, but cabins do not fall under the building code.
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

saw4you

You might want to check it out one more time, in Raleigh you can use lumber right off the sawmill as long as the lumber comes off of your property. Then you have to fill out a sheet stating that the inspectors are not responsible at the end.

easymoney

i think that the building restrictions in hickman county have been brought on by newcomers from the northern cities that want to get rid of a lot of lower income residents. i understand there is a $1,500.00 building permit required for any building even a storage shed. there are severe restrictions on mobil homes. land prices are through the roof. i live in lewis county we border hickman county on the south and there are no building restrictions in the county unless you buy land with building restrictions imposed by the seller. on my land i can build anything i want and no building permits. no restrictions.

Greg Cook

Just-Sawing,

It's probably too late, but could it be an "agricultural" building? Say a potting shed, lambing barn, storage shed, garage, etc. Different codes apply than when building a "residential" structure. And I've seen several sawmill lumber homes in Hickman county, DanGed if they ain't some of the nicest looking one there, too!

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

brdmkr

My building inspector told me that I could use all of the rough cut I wanted as long as I pulled my own permit 8).  I hope that rule is in effect when I build my house. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Porta mill

I live in Pa and the restrictions for using rough cut are crazy you have to have it graded and dry to a specifis moisture content . if you want to use it for building a houes   you can use it to make an out building . I be t many of you live in houses that  were built out of rough cut   The house I grew up in is 135 years old and still standing .why not let a home owner do what they want to there own house .

fat olde elf

Move to North Carolina.........You can build with lumber harvested off of your property here..
Sawed lots of building lumber for folks near me.  no problems........Our building inspectors are tough but very fair and want to be of help.......Can you get someone to grade your stuff and stamp it ? Pine air dries good enough for construction fast....Good luck  !!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Don P

I have built under that NC exemption as well, thank you farmers. The only thing left here is the ag exemption, for residential I have to bring in a grader and pay his windshield time, from NCĀ  ::).

There is actually nothing in the codebook about moisture content of framing, doesn't mean much if the officials don't allow it though.

jpgreen

-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Don P