iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Face cut

Started by Moulder, April 14, 2003, 04:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moulder

This is probably somthing you'll have talked about alot,or maybe not but when just cutting 2x framing lumber,on your opening cut does it really matter to have the sweep of the log up or crown up.Or just git to cuttin and worry not.Obivously you want to get the max yield but is there a better way to do this.I don't know maybe this is a stupid question. Nothing ventured nothing gained. RP
RANDY

Tom

Moulder, there is a reason to attack a log from a certain direction, several I guess. It helps to make opening cuts while the log can be dogged.  It helps to cut boards or dimensional lumber with the stress of the tree being acknowledged.  
When you cut boards from the hump or belly, they tend to warp "up" so that a nail will hold them down.

If you cut the boards from the side of a bent log, then the boards crook and it is difficult put an edge on them that will close with another board, as in paneling etc.

The same goes for dimensional lumber and you should consider the "crown" when sawing.  Too much crown and the lumber is no good.  

The direction that the grain runs in a dimensional piece will determine its strength too.  A 2x10 cut as flat grain and stood on edge is stronger than a 2x10 from the same log cut with vertical grain and stood on edge.  The vertical grain will tend to separate if loaded from the top.  The flat grain will not.

Since you might not know the use of every piece of dimensional lumber you produce when you cut it, it is not so critical to make those decisions when opening the log. It is important to consider it when you are preparing the log for it's target sized cant.

The knowledge base has some info on cutting sweeps too.

Bibbyman

I did a search in Sawmills and Milling for "sweep" and came up with quite a few hits.

Here is one topic where we talked quite a bit about crook in logs and how to saw them.

Re: I done went and done it...
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!