iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

He wants a log home look??

Started by flip, September 02, 2007, 10:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

Customer calls and says I want 2X8s out of my poplar logs to wrap my house with so I can make it look like a log home.  I'm reading into it that he's planning to leave a small gap and chink it at some point.  I don't know if he's planning on nailing these things up when they come off the mill or if he's gonna dry 'em first.  My questions are: would it be better to let them air dry first for a few months before installing.  What is the best way to go about cutting? I'm thinking if logs permit just do the through and through thing.  I don't think his 16 logs are gonna be enough to cover his house ::)

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Don P

There is a house near here that did that, it looks ok. I think I'd dry it as much as possible first. With most log siding I set the hand held power planer deep and make a relief cut down the middle of the back to help it lay flat. There are T&G patterns with a drop lap type cut sold as siding for chinking. You aren't relying on the chinking alone for the weatherseal with that type, but its more machining.

Ron Wenrich

I've cut some "log look" siding out of mainly white pine.  I have a vertical edger, so it works out pretty good by setting my edger blades at 8" and make a slab cut. 

If you're running a band mill, I would level my log, take the band down to where it just clears the slab, then take a 2" cut.  Turn 180° and do the same.  That will give you 2 slabs that will have to be edged to 8".

Square you log, as you will probably have some taper to it.  Saw down to an 8" target size.

Now, turn to cut another slab.  Again level, set your head to barely clear and pull a 2" cut.  Turn, level and pull another slab.  These 2 slabs won't need any edging.  Square up any taper you have in the cant, and finish sawing.

The other option is to make 2x8 boards and have them run through a machine that makes log cabin siding.  We have done that with some of our 2x8s.  You get it done where they make log cabins, if there' s any close by. 

16 logs might be enough if you have a small building or big logs.  Usually, you'll need 12-13 courses for a one story house.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bibbyman

You really need to get inside the person's head that wants this stuff cut.  Likely he's not sure what he needs.

We once cut some full 2"x 6" and 8" wide white oak for a guy that was making an addition to a log house.  This log house had the logs squared on four sides.  The first three courses were 8" and the rest 6" tall.  He planned to stick the oak in a barn for a year before putting it up.  I think he planned to drill and screw the planks to the studs and then plug the holes.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

flip

We ran out and looked at the 8, yes 8, poplar trees.  The are anywhere from 20-28 feet long and 12-16 inches on the small ends.  The guy wasn't home so we didn't find out what he wanted exactly but I think the best course of action is cut them in half and get 12-15 foot boards.  I saw the house he wants to reside ::)  I would probably get rid of the 5 or 7 junked out cars in the front yard first though so he could get to the house.  Why me? :)

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Ron gave you a great method to follow.  Just a passing note:

If the Poplar has been drying long at all, the slab cuts will have quite
a bit of tension in them and rise as you cut.  You can forewarn the customer,so
that he won't blame you.   This will even out some as the wet side of the
wood dries and shouldn't interfere with their use in his application.

Also, as you are finding out more about what he really expects, you
might find out whether you can mix 8" and 10".   Your log sizes could
surely support a mix of sizes.   
                                     (The cars tell me he wants this done cheaply
                                       so I bet you don't send this wood anywhere
                                       for any fancy molding operations.) ;)
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Ron Wenrich

You might have to subtract some of the length due to butt flare.  I hope they also realize that the bark should come off, either by natural means or by peeling.  Too much risk of having bugs. under the bark.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Faron

Flip, Log cabin knives are available for my Woodmaster. Rounded like a log, with a kind of shiplap to keep miosture out.  Maybe that is what he has in mind. I don't have the knives, but I can get them if needed.  I would think a planed or molded surface would be better than a sawed surface in our climate.  (Don't send them to me if he wants cheap, cheap, cheeeeap.) :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Furby

Well it sounds like we have two theories on what this guys wants, does he want flat boards to look like a squared log cabin, or does he want the rounded peeled log look?
Better find that out before making ANY decisions!

Haytrader

Furby,

What do you know? You're still under water.
:D :D

Haytrader

Furby

Haytrader

::)  I don't know about you Furb. ;)

Faron,

I have a woodmaster also and bought the auxillary shaft for the knives you mentioned. I told the owner of our favorite waterin hole that I could make log looking siding and he says  "Well, then make me some to put on my house." So, I have a good fall and winter project.
Haytrader

flip

I think we'll shoot him 8 at his place 6 at ours, see how serious he really is. I think I've only had a job or two that has been straight forward ::) don't know why I'd want to start one now.

flip

He just wants 2X8s.  I blew that one out of the water. The 2 mills 1 mile down the road from him are too busy to get to him for the next couple of months.  I still wonder what people think our services are worth?  I would have liked to ask, "So what figure do you have in mind"?  Probably hear something like $200 ::)  Oh well :)

Haytrader

flip,

Your potential customer is just trying to keep ya out of tax trouble.
;)
Haytrader

flip

Faron

Haytrader, Will you keep us updated on that siding project this winter?  I have been running three molding knives in a planer head instead of using the shaft and holder when I run molding.  Those siding knives look pretty big.  Wonder how they would work on white oak? :o  ;D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Haytrader

Will do.
I haven't ordered the knives yet even though I have a set paid for.
I will be on a very steep learning curve and will more than likely seek your advice.
I got the plastic inserts that go on the table and extensions and have planed just a few boards so I am as green as they come to the potential of the machine.
Haytrader

KarenKae

Quote from: Haytrader on September 05, 2007, 08:30:14 AM
Will do.
I haven't ordered the knives yet even though I have a set paid for.
I will be on a very steep learning curve and will more than likely seek your advice.
I got the plastic inserts that go on the table and extensions and have planed just a few boards so I am as green as they come to the potential of the machine.
Hay, can you post a picture of what the board will look like? We have a client here that didn't like the "log" look knife we had for log siding. He wanted something with a high profile, but none of our books look like they would make that.

Haytrader

Karen Kae,

Here is a link and it shows more than one option.
If it doesn't show what you want search for Woodmastertools.
http://www.woodmastertools.com/PDFs/LogCabin.pdf

And tell Arky "Hey"
Haytrader

jrokusek

I should probably start another thread....but.....what do you guys think of the Woodmaster machine?  I got the DVD and literature and it looks like a real interesting machine! 

Jim

Haytrader

Jim,

I haven't used mine enough to have an opinion. So I will give you one anyway.
:D :D
The machine is well built, and heavy. I bought mine so I can plane cedar chest sides and tops as a single piece instead of planeing individual boards before glue up.

Faron can give you a better answer.
Haytrader

KarenKae

Quote from: Haytrader on September 05, 2007, 07:18:37 PM
Karen Kae,

Here is a link and it shows more than one option.
If it doesn't show what you want search for Woodmastertools.
http://www.woodmastertools.com/PDFs/LogCabin.pdf

And tell Arky "Hey"
THANKS!  We enjoyed some rain yesterday and now the guys are trying to get Woody's (the LT70) Shed finished so when the rain returns we can still make SAWDUST!
I will tell Arky Hey for you.  He is out there with the men.
I sent the link on the client. I will see if that is what he had in mind.
Enjoy the upcoming Autumn season with its MUCH cooler weather.

Faron

Jim, ours does a very good job for us.  It depends on what you are going to do with it.  I figured the ripsaw attachment was a joke.  It isn't.  We rip our hardwood flooring blanks on it,as well as molding blanks.  It would be great for making cabinets.  The sander does an acceptable job.  If you are making molding with it, I recommend buying a second planer head and running 3 knives in it.  As for planing, it does a good job as well.  I intend to either get another one with a spiral head, or buy a spiral head for this one.  All I have heard about the spiral heads is good.  It is not a high capacity, fast machine, 16 feet per minute for the 18 in and 24 feet per minute for the 25 in, if I remember correctly.  It is a bit annoying to have to change the machine from one mode to the other.  Doesn't take all that long, but it does take time. I originally made tongue and groove flooring on mine.  That process eats up feed rollers, and I had to really work to keep my jigs making quality flooring.  I went to a shaper, and am glad I did.   I have made some curved moulding on ours, and really liked it.  All in all, I think it is a good machine for a one or two man shop.

pineywoods

re--woodmaster
If you don't have the slick plastic bed addition, get it!!! makes all the difference in the world and pretty much fixes the problem of eating up feed rollers.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!