iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jeff and Tammy's Property. Kevin takes down a dangerous tree.

Started by Jeff, September 01, 2007, 10:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'm going to do this thread a little at a time because I have a lot of photos and videos for it.
While clearing the area where our driveway is going in in the U.P., I came across a White Birch tree that after examining a bit, made me realize that I didn't know enough about cutting down trees and this one could kill me.  First it was dead. Dead enough that a good deal of the branches were out of it other then the biggest ones in the top. Second it was in a state of decay, probably rotten in the trunk. Third, it had a wicked lean to it and was pretty fair sized and leaning with its fork towards some nice Balsam fir that I wanted to leave for aesthetics.  I came back to that tree a half dozen times and finally says, "Self, don't even try it"  Thats when I called Kevin. I told him about the tree and that I thought we could take some photos and video for the Forum of us getting it down safely. He simply asked, "What time's Breakfast?" :D

Well, last Sunday Kevin showed up at the cabin just in time for omelets made from the eggs laid by free range chickens at "Whispering Pines Farms". Thats scsmith42's place.  Scott brought some up to us when he picked up his drag saw. :)  They was some good omelets! Thanks Scott! We also had toast with homemade blueberry jam. MMMM.

After Breakfast I jumped on the bike and Kevin followed in his truck down to our property.

Here is the Tree.

Here is Kevin and his truck full of gear. :)  Kevin said before we started. "This aint logging" Its Tree Surgery" :)

More to come...

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Tammy and I took one of the pigroast tables up and 4 GREEN chairs and put under some cedars so we would have a place to sit and relax on occasion while we were working.  Here is a shot of that with Tammy and Kevin and part of the gear.

One of the first jobs kevin said was to get a line in the tree. This was for two reasons. THe first was to use it to give the tree some shakes to see if there were some widow makers in it.  If you watch the video that follows the photos in this post, you will see there certainly were! Deadly.

This is a photo of Kevin and his Big Shot Line Launcher. It made short order of getting a line in the tree. One try and Kevin got it right where he wanted it.

Here is the video of the launch and then one of shaking the tree. The shaking of the tree dramatically shows what can be up there.

Launching the line
http://www.youtube.com/v/snNk21cWTX4

Now the shaking.
http://www.youtube.com/v/il1yUfFmoV0

beenthere

Jeff
Thanks for the pics and video.
Sure confirms what my GOL (game of logging) instructor said about dead white birch..He warned us how dangerous they can be, as they just disintegrate and come crashing down all around the feller.
Appreciate the confirmation.. :) :)  and another chance to see Kevin at work...maybe that sling shot can kill a bear or deer.  ::) ::) ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Here are a couple more photos where Kevin is rigging the rope he pulls into the tree with the line shot up with the super shot.  The rope is actully what does the shaking, and will also be used to secure the tree to the tree to a fancy-dancy capstan winch rigged just for attaching to trees. Kevin will have to tell about that and who makes it.

Jeff

Got lots more to come.  This tree was a problem the whole way. It will show us even when you think things are right, then might not me.  I'll explain more as we go.  :)

Jeff

The next thing we needed to do is see how tall this tree was so we could determine what would be a safe distance to have the capstan which attached. Kevin showed Tammy and I how to use this little handy dandy gauge.  I'm glad I had the camera. :D

O.K., this is how this works. Its really really simple. I dew a diagram onTammy's photo showing what you are siting in on.  If the tree is in the gauge such as in the diagram, you would be staning right where the top should reach. If the tree extends above or below those invisible lines, you are still to close and within the trees reach.

We moved back considerably from the point where the top of the tree could reach. Its unpredictable what may go flying as the tree comes down. As some one was going to be on the winch in the direction of the proposed fall, they needed to be more then a safe distance beyond.

Jeff

This is the winch we used. Pretty cool tool. It straps very securely to the tree then has two speed winching capabilities.

Making sure the winch aint going anywhere!

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Jeff

stump_jumper I'll have to find out where Kevin gets them.  As simple as they were I could forsee some Forestry Forum versions being produced and distributed some how. ;D

The next step is where Kevin teaches Tammy and I about "gunning" a tree using "Gunning sticks"

Basically what you do is place the "legs" of the "A" figure so they are about in one third the diameter of the tree, at the same time leveling the legs to each other, and "aiming" the"point" of the "A" in the direction at which you want the tree to fall. You can then make a couple dots of paint on the tree right at the tips of the "legs".  These two points will be the corners of your Notch.  Since this tree is leaning sooo far the opposite way, kevin will be making an open face notch. He explains the process to us in the video below the two photos. The photo quality is low as I had to rip them from the video.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/v/Sqi6OaPVcOk

Jeff

More to come tomorrow. It is tomorrow.  :D   More to come later.  :)

limbrat

Wait yall are gona pull from lower on the tree right?  Like in that crotch..........right? That top looks kind of crispy dont it and you gota pull all the weight.        What am i worried about yall have all the tools and experance and i dont even know how that kind tree acts when its standing dead.
ben

SwampDonkey

Wow, mighty nice of Kevin to stop by don't ya think? ;) Now I got this.............never mind.  ;D

Looks like a lot of nice tools coming off that tail gate. Did the customs ask a few questions?  ;D

Nice show folks with the pics and videos. Everyone can learn something and at the very least enjoy the little adventure.  :) Took me three clicks on the refresh button to get all the pics loaded.  ;) That gadget Kevin and Tammy used looks like a simple form of range finder. The angle from the eye looking along both top and bottom edges looks like 60 °, so an equilateral triangle. In that case, stand way back.  ;D I wonder if you can assume that since your closer to the ground than you are at the mid point of the tree height. Maybe it's a 30°,60°,90° triangle. Then, no sweat.

If it's 60°, then D < C   :o  yikes_smiley run away

If it's 30°, then B>C your safe.  smiley_curtain_peek smiley_thumbsup

Is It Safe!?!   ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Getting in Gear.

A safe starting method

The saw seems to be warmed up and ready

Its time to start!

Jeff

Cutting an open face notch.

Here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/v/Z-UxJnZ_BWw

Here is the finished notch. Please excuse my camera angle. Kevins notch was quite level, the photo gives the illusion of it being high on one side.

Jeff

In the video you will hear Kevin say "wood looks good". That to was an illusion. It was good where we could see and to that point.

SwampDonkey

Click on the link at the bottom of my last post Jeff, for a kick. ;D Can you remember the movie?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

It don't sound familiar  unless its from "the birds"  but I dont think so.  :)

It looks quite open but thats only where the tree stood. It was quite thick between where Tammy was with the winch and Kevin and the tree, thick enough where they could not see each other at all.  Our plan was for  me to be positioned where I could see to video Kevin and Tammy could see me.  As Kevin cut, he would give me the sign to winch, which was a circular motion with the hand. I would then give Tammy the same signal.  We only winched while the sign was being made.

If this tree was anywhere else but in the bush, Kevin might have actually done more prep work. In a residential setting or where there were structures or such, there would have been some side lines installed for added insurance in case something went wrong. They would have to be positioned just so in relation to height and length in case added control was need for the felling. For our tree, we chose not to use the additional lines.  You will see why we would have wanted them if this tree was anywhere else.

SwampDonkey

Marathon Man, with Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier, and Roy Scheider.  ;)

Jeff

We need a couple more posts on here so additional photos end up on page two to releave a little pressure on page one dontcha think?

I'm goona run up town as this is the last weekend of the Harrison flea market.  I wanted to see if they any any 5 dollar machetes.  :)

Dan_Shade

i'll bite.  How about a little more info on the gunning sticks? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

sawdust

I'm curious about the gunning sticks too. I noticed a non-sprayed stick out the side, is there a perpendicular aiming line on this? close up photo?

sawdust

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

scsmith42

Jeff, this is an interesting string - thanks for sharing.  I'm glad that y'all enjoyed the eggs!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Radar67

Do you have any idea what is causing the tops of your Ash to be bad?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

First  attempt  to  post  from  my  cell . Please  excuse  my  punnctuation .  Stew   I  think  its from broken aspen and birch tops taking them out as thxey fall

Thank You Sponsors!