iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

AARRRRRRRRRRRRGH AARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

Started by Fla._Deadheader, August 29, 2007, 06:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Just got relief from a DOUBLE leg lock. BOTH upper legs got cramps, BIG TIME. Thought I was never gonna get 'em straightened out again. Lasted for 10 minutes or so ???

What's the best relief and what's the cure ???

Got a whack of nanners hanging on a tree in the yard. Gonna be another week er two afore them's ready  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Faron

Putting a bar of soap under the bedcovers can help night time leg cramps.  Don't ask me how it works.  Go ahead, laugh.  ::) I did too, until I stopped my wife's leg cramps without her knowing about it that way one night.  I seem to remember another thread around here about that.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

jbeat

Cramps are a signal of low potassium or dehydration. Eat those nanas and maybe try some gatoraid for a few days. You'll be up and runnin in no time.
John B

TexasTimbers

Ifv you look in my archives you will find a post about how i did the soap trick. that was what 8 months ago I dunno 6 to 8 I figger. NO MORE CRAMPS. I have never heard anyone say it did not work for them.
I do not get lag cramps during the day anymore either. Faron is right Harold. Do the soap trick. It works. I gar-on-tee!
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Jeff

A banana a day.  Soap didnt work for me.

Course I never tried it. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Harold, we had a particularly long hot day, lots of water and gator aid, and that evening my upper/inside legs, both of the suckers,  locked up.  I have never felt pain like that, broke out into a cold sweet, and yes, took 10 or 15 minutes to walk it off, teeth gritted every step of the way.

I take potassium pills now, no leg cramps, so far,,,,,,,
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

crtreedude

You guys aren't implying that Harold needs to wash more are you...  ::)

You don't have to wait for the Bananas - lots of people sell Bananas. Or Platanos - I bet you neighbors have plenty. Star fruit has a lot of potassium too (carambola for Reina)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Weekend_Sawyer

This happened to me last muzzle loader season, I went out for a day hike. Packed a couple of peanut butter sandwiches, couple of granola bars and a bottle of water. I had a great day hiking through the hills. That night I got a double leg cramp in my upper legs that had me springing out of my bunk. Lots of streaching helped, but I thought I'd never get them relaxed. now I try and keep up on the bananas and gatoraid. Never tried a potassium pills.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

crtreedude

Are you sure the problem isn't that you guys are just getting old?  ::)

Fla._Deadheader

You just wait till them Longfellers of yours lock up. Them muscules is long  ;) :) :D

Gonna cut the nanner tree down today. Got a ton of Carambola on our tree. Gotta make some more Fresco  ;) ;) 8) 8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

No danger for me my friend - I like bananas, carambolas, etc. and eat a lot of them. Besides, my legs are in excellent shape after all the cycling I do.

Carambola with Papaya is really good - and with pineapple, oranges and pretty much anything else. I bet some with coconut would be pretty tasty too.

Fla._Deadheader

We eat our share of fruit.  When I was climbin poles, I was in excellent shape. Got to do Highline towers one day. That night, I had double lock up of both lower legs.

Never say never, my friend.  ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Roxie

I found a list of foods high in potassium.  Banana's aren't the only good source.  Lima beans and raisins are higher than banana's...and check the Baked Potato!

The last number on the line is potassium in mg.

Apricots, dried 10 halves 407
Avocados, raw 1 ounce 180
Bananas, raw 1 cup 594
Beets, cooked 1 cup 519
Brussel sprouts, cooked 1 cup 504
Cantaloupe 1 cup 494
Dates, dry 5 dates 271
Figs, dry 2 figs 271
Kiwi fruit, raw 1 medium 252
Lima beans 1 cup 955
Melons, honeydew 1 cup 461
Milk, fat free or skim 1 cup 407
Nectarines 1 nectarine 288
Orange juice 1 cup 496
Oranges 1 orange 237
Pears (fresh) 1 pear 208
Peanuts dry roasted, unsalted 1 ounce 187
Potatoes, baked, 1 potato 1081
Prune juice 1 cup 707
Prunes, dried 1 cup 828
Raisins 1 cup 1089
Spinach, cooked 1 cup 839
Tomato products, canned sauce 1 cup 909
Winter squash 1 cup 896
Yogurt plain, skim milk 8 ounces 579
Say when

Fla._Deadheader

Great list, Roxie.

I eat about 1/3 of what's on there. Milk is a no-no. Avocados I don't like. NADA.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Roxie

Well now, for obvious reasons I'm disappointed to hear about the milk thing, but I have another reason too.....my doctor told me that sometimes muscle cramps could be a sign of calcium deficiency.  If you like cheese, you're probably covered.   :)
Say when

Fla._Deadheader

Got the best homemade cheese maker right down the road. She puts enough Chilis in it, that, nobody will touch it but ME.  8) 8) 8) 8)  Gotta order some in a few days.  8) 8)

Just had some papaya, and lemon Fresco. Gotta gather the carambolas, later. Yesterday, my lunch was 3 oranges, right off the tree. Then, Orange juice chilled when I got home.

Needed to saw today, but, I could feel the twinges in my legs, so, I'm stayin close to the Nurse. :o :o 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

You might need a big fried hamburger.  Maybe your are suffering from withdrawals.

Fla._Deadheader

Got a burger for lunch  8) Nothing on it, just the meat.  Works for me. Maters and onions on the side, topped with Broccoli and vinegar and oil.  Oh yeah, lightly fried potatoes, halved, with the hide still attached.  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Modat22

Make sure you add a little calcium along with those nanners.
remember man that thy are dust.

farmerdoug

Cramps can be also caused by waste products building up in your muscles.  It cannot get out fast enough when you are using the muscles harder than usual and sits there when you stop.  I find that a ample supply of vitamin C helps alot.  Lots of water helps too.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

DWM II

Were not milk drinkers here either, but lots of OJ with the calcium added keeps my legs in check.
Stewardship Counts!

tomboysawyer

And here I thought this was a thread about pirates

Alas, no.

But drink your helathy fluids and stay flexible, matey. Its all about your muscles not being able to get out their waste nor get in the good stuff. I've always found drinking too much grog and rum can make these sea legs cramp more than usual and put a hurt on me that's worse than any quarter master's punishment.

Hope you feel better soon.

Roxie

Say when

IL Bull

Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

tomboysawyer

Quote from: Roxie on September 10, 2007, 08:07:55 AM
I like the pirate picture!   :D

Why thank you! There was a Pirate Ball in Bennington in July (which made those costumes VERY hot). Hubby said he would get dressed up and go if he could be dressed up as the Pirate King - a la Barbossa but not a direct copy of Barbossa. Took me some time to get those all together. We did win "best dressed pirates" at the ball - and I didn't even know there was going to be a contest!!

But back to the leg cramp thing...

Oddly enough, I experienced them last night. I realized I had just restarted a diuretic medication. Again - its along the dehydration theme. Even though a person may feel they've had plenty to drink, our muscles can feel otherwise depending on the conditions we subject them too. Unless you've had an injury, a muscle cramp is caused by a lack of fluid/nutrients or the inability to get rid of cellular waste.

Thank You Sponsors!