Goat head? Pronghorn sheep? Devil?
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

scsmith42

Nah, that's "mother in law without makeup"!   :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

flip

Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

dad2nine

dad2nine

If I ever find Virgin Mary, I'm keeping it  ;)

SCSawyer

Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

WDH

The last pic is a rhinoceros ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dad2nine

Bit into a Red Maple tree last week that was looking pretty bad, so we cut it off the stump. At first we thought the tree was overcome with ambrosia beetles and would make some realy nice ambrosia maple. When I got it on the mill and opened it up, it has some unusual markings and not many ambrosia beetle tracks at all. I was wondering if anyone knows what this called or what should I call it? I ain't never seen anything quite like it before.

Thanks

WDH

Is the wood solid in the dark areas?  Is it gum/resin streaks?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dad2nine

WDH - I at first thought it might be pitch pockets, but the wood is solid. I poked a few of the streaks with my knife and it's solid like the surrounding wood.

WDH

Maybe it is mineral streaks.  Maybe Ron W. can elucidate for us.

Ron Wenrich

It looks like gum streak cherry, to me.  But, you should know if its cherry or maple.    ;)  Mineral streak in maple is usually black in color.  But, I've seen sugar streaks that are pretty red.  It occurs in both hard and soft maple.

If that isn't it, I think it looks a lot like gum streak.  That's caused in cherry by peach borer.  If you harvest during the early summer, you'll make habitat for the peach borer.  Then they go out and infect the residual cherry trees.  A veneer buyer told me he could tell when the last time a cherry stand was harvested by the location of the gum streak.  You don't get them when harvested in the cooler months. 

There is an American plum borer that attacks maple. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Just a guess here, but a suggestion from the WoodTech book.

Pith fleck: caused by cambium injury by the larvae of flies in the genus Phytolobia which lays an egg in the cambium (live tissue). It mines down through the stem and emerges in the ground to pupate. I'd say the tree has been attacked for several years to get it showing up deep in the heart. The tree reacted to the injury and occludes the tunnels with a mass of parenchymatous cells contaning dark contents. A short time later the cambium closes in over the mass of wound tissue, and normal wood is produced thereafter.

Does this sound like what might be happening?

I would definitely attribute it to an insect, just not sure this suggestion is the one.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

I've seen similar markings in a hard maple log.  My sawyer called it bird peck.  From the end of the log, you could see healed wounds from a woodpecker all the way around the perimeter of the log.  I think it is very attractive and set the boards aside for something special. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Jeff

Is this pair/chunk for sale?   I see a moose in there!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Radar67

It could also be a Hippo.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

It could be, but either one would fit well into my family. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

inspectorwoody

Imagination runs wild when you see those boards!  :D

IMO, the pictures of the Soft Maple appear to have quite a bit of mineral streaks. I see the similar thing in Hickory around bird pecks.

SwampDonkey

Sap suckers can be bad, and they do come back to the same tree. But, as I look at those streaks they look about the size of a darning needle and if you look at how one streak lines up with several sections up and down the stem, it does look like something burrowed  down the stem. The streaks are broken because the bug is meandering. But, of course mineral streak might look like that because the grain of the wood is not in a straight path akin to a saw blade. But I don't see a pattern like a sapsucker would make when he rings the tree bark. Seems random.

If we only could look as the slabs.  Pretty please with sugar on top. ;D  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

Its not the right color for mineral streak.  Bird peck is a lot different than that.  It doesn't go in lines down the tree.  Bird peck may have some discoloration, but it radiates out from the injury.

I like the borer theory.

dad2nine

I'm thinking it's a result of some type of boring insect but I'm not seeing any insect holes. It  looks like Swam Donkey is right, the tree was on a pond bank in a cow pasture... kinda makes sense if I think about it. I'm going to call the lumber from this red maple tree Pith Fleck Red Maple  ;)

One other question I Ripped into another red maple yesterday that I think is mineral streak, am I right?

Jeff... I have those two boards sticked in with a bunch of other red maple on one of Scott' kiln carts. If I can find them, I'll set them aside for you. I guess I should have marked em  :(

Ron Wenrich

I would call that mineral streak. 

dad2nine

Ron Thanks - I thought that's what it was called... I'm fairly new to sawing, only been at it for about a year and 1/2 - but having a good time doing it. It's great you guys let me bounce questions off you. I'm still waiting for this thread to be turned into something to do with food  :)

OneWithWood

Now that you mention it, that wood reminds me of a chocolate layer marble cake  food6
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!