iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knot Clusters and Grading of Timbers

Started by kettleviewtimber, August 28, 2007, 12:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kettleviewtimber

Below are 3 examples of knot clusters in Timbers that I had received from my sawyer.  The timbers are 8" x 10" x 20' northern white pine.  These timbers are to be used as rafters and collar ties The cut list specified #2 or better and small to medium knots.  This was the second shipment from this sawyer the first was much better very small knots no wane, straight grain.  This batch?

Any suggestions?

Jim_Rogers

If they don't meet the grade rule you have specified then the mill/sawyer should do something about it.
If he won't replace them, then they should be discounted or something...
You could ask him to show you how these knots pass for grade #2 or better.....

On another note....
Are you familiar with the grade rules?
Are you sure these knots do not pass?

I'd have to look up the rules to be sure, myself......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

maineframer

I would not have taken them off his truck/or out of his yard. Those beams are not structural nor are they attractive. My suggestion would be to return the beams and talk with the sawyer about your need fo quality and what size and condition of knot is acceptable. Most sawyers are more than happy to accomidate .
David

pineywoods

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

logwalker

I wouldn't use them on my own place, wouldn't try to pass them to someone else either.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!