iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used John Deere 655 hydrostatic

Started by Ironwood, August 26, 2007, 07:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

I just wanted to tap into the vast knowlege out there as to anyone's experience with a little JD 655 hydrostatic diesel tractor. It is a small (16 hp Yanmar) used tractor with a detatchable loader and mower deck. It has 1000 hours and had one owner who is now 73 and buying a new JD. It looks well cared for, used not abused. I am looking at it to simply mow the grass and shuffle some loose material around, not do construction digging (I know their not meant for that). It is small enough to mow around my acreage and still agile enough to get in my woods for maintance brush hogging. I do want a tractor not a "zero steer", all my current fleet is somewhat difficult for the Misses to run, this would give her some ability to help out mowing and move some garden mulch and such.

Any input would be appriciated. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

dutchman

Hi Reid,
I run a 4wd 750 bought new in 1990. Standard trans.,  rear wheel spreaders 8"/side,
use a 5' hog. Moves dirt real well, and if your terrain isn't to rough mows just fine.
If I'm running up and down steep hills I put a few pounds of dirt in the bucket.
The mower deck may be a perfect setup.
Looks to be in good shape.

Ironwood

Dutchman,

How many horses is the 750/755?. How many hours on yours? The old guy had bought this one from the dealer new in the late 80's, which would have made him in his 50's. It would be unlikely a guy in his 50's would beat the snot out of something like this. He cared enough to keep the touch up paint around and it looks like it lived in a garage most of it's life.  The leading edge of the bucket is worn, it needs some new AR steel and some welding, no problem for me to handle. Thanks Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

beenthere

With the age, the size, and the hours...I'd expect it to be in the $4-5k range, maybe a bit less.
They are not know to be problems that I've heard, and I spent a lot of hours on the TBN (tractorbynet.com) site where honest pro's and con's were abundant. You can learn a lot about that model from there too. 
Parts are available, and that means a lot for keeping up it's trade-in value. I don't have personal experience with that model....just the green  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

Thanks, I'll check out that site. Reid

dutchman

Reid,
18 HP , 1900 lbs dry weight (tractor only), about 1700 Hrs.
The weak link on mine is left side tie rod end replaced 3 times,but
you have to work at breaking it.
Adjusted valves at @ 1200 Hrs.
Replaced battery, front tires (too much digging).
Hydralics are original.
I wouldn't sell for less than 10,000 with loader, but I use it all the time.

Don_Papenburg

I had an 850  with a standard and a mid mount mower. It was 20 hp but with a little bigger motor and a bit more tourqe then my 430 .  I traded the 850 on a 595 4x4 .
Hated to see it go was happy to see it go . The manual trans was a pain to mow with after useing a hydro  but the larger frame tractor was nicer to use .  I never used a 655 but tractors on both sides so I would say go for it.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ironwood

Thanks guys, The unit is priced as one would expect from a dealer, but he has been VERY good with terms with the used  F-550 roll back delivery truck, and two HPX Gators I have bought. You can't beat it when a JD dealer has what you want and will work w/ you to get it into your barn. I would love to bump up a size or two but that would make the mowing I need to do more difficult. It is all a compromise. I would not buy it if it were not hydrostatic drive, I think it is a must for small tractor loader work and safe operation in tight spots. I have a circa 1970 JD 140. It was one of their first hydrostatic drives and set the standard for years and years. Thing is almost 40 years old and looks and runs great (new Kohler engine a few years ago), and has fully hydraulic front blade with power down. Neat old tractor, 48" mower. Only bought it 'cause my 70 year old nieghbor had one and just HAMMERED the thing, we called it his "DOZER", he is gone but his grandson finally put a connecting rod thru the side case by revving the heck out of it.

Reid

Kcwoodbutcher

I've got an 855 with over 6000 hrs on it. Finally after 16 years of daily abuse it needs an engine rebuild. I got into the engine and it is built tough. No cracks anywhere even though in later years it was consistently overheated. I'll have about 1500 in the rebuild but I think it is worth it. That thing started everyday for the last 16 years and definitely worked for a living. The hydrostat has never given me an ounce of trouble. The front wheel drive has given me some trouble. It's built a little weak for loader work. I've rebuilt the final drive gears four times. Last time I made some changes and it seems to be holding up. The green parts are available for the most part but like everything else green they can get pricey.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

OneWithWood

I am still abusing the 670 I purchased new in '85.  This is an 18hp yanmar with MFWD.  I have a quick attach loader and belly mower that came with it.  I have used this little tractor for just about everything.  The only problem I have had is the mower deck is starting to show some wear and tear (could it be that I use it as more of a brush hog than a mower?).
I just keep welding the deck back together and carrying on.
In short a very solid little tractor.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ironwood

Thanks for the input guys. This one is MFWD, I gon't know what the acronim stands for but know it means four wheel drive. It has the cruise control and two range tranny. Actually it is a quite nice little machine.

Onewithwood,

How many hours on your's now?

KCwoodbutcher,  :o You definitely got your use out of that tractor.

Reid

Don_Papenburg

MFWD  mechanical front wheel drive   .   some outfits use hydraulic front wheel assist   , it does not keep up with the higher tractor speeds  like mechanical.

I had to use my front wheel drive today to mow grass. After 6and 3tenths and the grass real tall.  I had a few spots with standing water.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Dave Shepard

I have run many of the small JDs, 750, 850, 970, 1050. The little Yanmar diesels always started and ran great. We use a 750 on our sawdust vac and it runs like a top. On the other hand every single piece of JD equipment I have run has left me feeling like I was going to slide off the seat and wedge under the steering wheel. I don't know if they use the same seat on everything from a 750 to a 4430, but at least they are consistant. ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

When I test drove it at he dealer the same was true, we have had TONS of rain here for August. REALLY unusual for this area. I could see I was making imprints in the soil even as light as this little tractor is. Thanks for the clarification, I'll program that one in my little brain.

DAVE, shoot that an easy fix, trip to the wrecking yard for a 1970's Camero high back bucket and I'm golden! Maybe even crush red velour.  ::)

Reid

OneWithWood

I believe it has something like 1400 hours on it.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dave Shepard

Don'f forget a cup holder for the iced tea. :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

Pulled the trigger, brought it home yesterday. Tested out my 5' woods brush hog on it. I did not want to sell it and find a smaller one as my buddy just had it "redecked" at the local high school metal shop for me. The 5' looks big behind the tractor but it pulled it nearly as well a my 8N, and I did not have to get right next to the trees to trim right up to the trunk (big plus). Seems it will be able to use most of my 3 pt. stuff, discs, blades, york rake. I will need a little ballast in the loader for the heavier ones that stick way out the back but it works!. I borrowed Frickmans skidder (dozer)several years ago and "cleaned" out our woods of all the junk in the understory and field edges, this little tractor will have the job of keeping all the debris from regrowing. It looks like a good match to the limited tasks of brush hogging (8 acres, once a year), occasional landscape work and CONSTANT mowing. AND the Miss's loved it! BIG BONUS!! ;D

Reid

beenthere

Reid
Sounds like you will have fun with this.  Especially, I think you will like the hydrostatic drive, to get around trees and back the bush hog into tight areas in the woods. That, along with using the hydro with the loader, is what really sold me on this feature (Deere 4300/ 5ft hog).

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

Beenthere,

I rented a 4300 w/ a hoe and clamshell bucket years ago, GREAT machine. It was out of my size range and budget for this purchase, YEAH only one tractor to have HYDROSTAT! Reid

Thank You Sponsors!