iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Had to put her down

Started by Fla._Deadheader, April 12, 2003, 02:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Spent yesterday adding a jack-shaft to the feed system. This morning we did some minor adjusting to the newly figured out governor linkage. We checked oil, hooked up the fuel and greased all fittings. It felt like a good day. ;)
  Had a cedar cant on the deck that needed 1 board removed before we could turn it and make 3/16ths fish boards. Took off 4 fish boards and turned the cant. ;)
  The jackshaft was working fine, a tad fast, but, the governor took 1 more small adjustment and the mill started spittin out boards like it was on a mission. 8)
  After having taken 9 more boards off, I knew she was in trouble!!  :o Listen, what's that ticking noise?? What noise?? It's getting louder.  I gigged her back for the shutdown, but, it was too late. Her heart was now pounding, and I knew the end was at hand. She had given her all and when I threw the clutch handle down, she stopped with a saddening "clunk".  :(The little "Porsche" had burned a bearing and thrown a rod. :(
  We shut off the water and fuel and disconnected the battery. Went in the house and started a maddening search for a new engine. Finally found one that will be available Tuesday. A brand new 24HP Honda will replace the little Porsche.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

biziedizie

Sorry about your loss Dead_header, my flag is at half mast and my eyes are all swelled up...........I hope the new girl is as good as the old one. ;D

Steve

Neil_B

Sorry about your luck F_D :'( I had to put my cat, Taz, down this morning too. He's hung out with me for 9 years. Pretty much the same problem, blood clots seized him up. :'( :'(
No, not a CAT engine!
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Jason_WI

It's always a bad thing when you can change the rings without having to turn any bolts! :o

It always seems like when motors are running there best is when something goes horribly wrong.

I had a simular experience last summer when I was cutting hay with our Ford 9000 tractor. Everything was running good when all of a sudden the oil light came on with the tach at 2000 RPM. :o I looked at the oil gauge I had added and the needle was resting on the peg at 0. I pulled the fuel cutoff and walked home.

The gear that drives the oil pump off of the cam shaft striped it's teeth.

$1000 later with a new oil pump, used cam shaft, main bearing set, and a used turbo later it is back up and running. We did all of the work ourself since with these wonderful milk prices we can't afford to have it serviced at the dealership. Heck, we shouldn't even be messing around with a tractor built in the late 60's but how can anyone afford a new one at $80k with $10 milk???? ??? >:(  It just doesn't add up.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

EZ

Two early springs ago the wife & I were at our favorite walleye lake. We had 7 walleye on ice & I told her crank them in we're going to are other favorite spot. Fired that mother up & away we go, 65 mph & pow threw a rod outside the block. I looked back & there was black smoke roaring out from under the hood. I got the fire ext. but there was no fire. With in seconds the patrol was their along with 30 other boats.
EZ

Thank You Sponsors!