iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cant hooks

Started by fivedogs, August 25, 2007, 10:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fivedogs

hi everyone new to the forum  just bought a hud-son  sawmill and i am going to begin sawing on some pine that was left over from some logging and was wondering what you would all recommend  i do have some 18 and 19 inch ash i will be cutting up at 14 feet   other advice would also be appreciated  i'm brand new to this adventure.

Dan_Shade

in a word : logrite 

they hook and don't let go.   

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum....

One more word: LOGRITE!

LogRite Scale

First LogRite cant hook shiped from Wood-Mizer
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

pigman

LogRite. 8)  I have a wooden handled canthook I would give you, but I have misplaced it since I bought my LogRite. ;D

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

RSteiner

Had 4 wooden handled peaveys now I have two Logrite peaveys and wouldn't want to be with out one of them.  8)

Randy
Randy

asy

Same one word...  LOGRITE...

Only I have to add, the Pink ones go faster!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

brdmkr

Well, I'll chime in with a different suggestion.

Get 2 LOGRITES; you may need a helper!

Welcome to the forum.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

getoverit

what they said :D  Nobody else can come close !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

scgargoyle

How 'bout LOGRITE? Are they any good? :D :D :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Engineer

dixie ;)

or logrite...  :D :D :D

Bibbyman

Quote from: brdmkr on August 27, 2007, 12:10:14 PM
Well, I'll chime in with a different suggestion.

Get 2 LOGRITES; you may need a helper!

Welcome to the forum.

Get four and be twice as sure you have enough. 

We have a hydraulic mill but have one mill special behind the mill for those cants that can't seem to turn sometimes.  We have another 36" mill special in front of the mill for the same reason and to roll a stubborn log onto the bed once in a while.  Then we've got the 60" in case we really have to get tough with a log.  We have an extra 30" mill special we use sometimes on the lot to turn a log or two.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Now if'n you was to go and spend your hard earned coin you would be ahead to buy the best you can.  Now a few years ago when I was working mobile I needed quite often a hook that could grab and move a big log.  I broke several wooden 6 ft ones and hurt myself once doing it.  This LOGRITE company said they had a good hook in that size.  I must say it was a good hook but not quite what I needed.  So They helped me and we came up with the ARKANSAWYER SUPER STICK.  Man what a hook.  (that is the one you see Dan a hanging on)  It will do the job better then any thing else.  It is a bit big for every day use by most but when you need it, it is a life and limb saver.  Now they call it the Mega Hook since people were calling in wanting more A.S.S. to move logs.  :o

ARKANSAWYER

Dave Shepard

I'm thinking of getting two of those super sticks, one for each arm.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

That's actually Ga_Boy hanging on that A.S.S.  I took the picture :)

I ordered a second one last week.  My theory, is any log where you need that to hook it, you'll need two of them and a helper!

I had a handful of old junk cant hooks a few years ago, and Ga_Boy and I did a job together and I used one of his.  I promptly went home and ordered one and started my collection.  the hook geometry is the best part of them. 

What I'd really like to see is a carbon-fiber/kevlar cant hook handle!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

brdmkr

I have really been thinking about getting one of the mega hooks.  The 48" hooks I have work, but sometimes I have to S T R A I N to turn some of the big ones.  Because I have a swing mill, I tend to seek out the 'big ones'.  I can't help but think the extra leverage would really help. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Dan_Shade

i have a 48" hook.  I use it to flip over a cant when cutting 2x4s, because I can't flip a cant that narrow with my hydraulics. 

the 60" hooks are much easier on your back.  and the big one is definately nice for the monsters.

fivedogs

thanks for all the advice guys  i think i'll get a couple to be sure  not getting any younger  like that big one and the logrite looks like the one favored by most  so i'll probably glide in that direction.

SAW MILLER

I wouldn't glide,I'd FLY 8)
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Ga_Boy

Yep Dan is right that is me hanging around on the end of my Mega Hook.  There is one small problem with the Mega Hook.  They do not work on 62" diameter logs...... ::)

For those you need one of these....

With one of these those 62" inchers ain't no problem.  Except when you get the load to far out on the forks and rear wheels come off the ground.  I think Dan or Dave has that picture.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Bibbyman

Quote from: Ga_Boy on August 28, 2007, 03:55:53 AM
Yep Dan is right that is me hanging around on the end of my Mega Hook.  There is one small problem with the Mega Hook.  They do not work on 62" diameter logs...... ::)

For those you need one of these....

With one of these those 62" inchers ain't no problem.  Except when you get the load to far out on the forks and rear wheels come off the ground.  I think Dan or Dave has that picture.

Mark

Yea but ain't you limited to hard, smooth surfaces with that machine?

When the ground is rough and soft you need one of these.
Sawing since '94

Ga_Boy

Quote from: Bibbyman on August 28, 2007, 08:05:48 AM

Yea but ain't you limited to hard, smooth surfaces with that machine?

When the ground is rough and soft you need one of these.

Shoot Bibbyman, I have gotten real good at pulling that pig out of the mud, I can just about take it anywhere.  All I need is my 160' of bull line and a few pulleys; I have pulled that pig out of a hole where my rear wheels sunk up the skid pan. 

I do like the 10,000 pound limit.  I have used my Hyster more than I ever thought I would.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Thank You Sponsors!