iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4x4 firewood

Started by snowman, August 25, 2007, 06:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowman

I'm home for the weekend from building a barn on some land I own on Wash state. As I dug into the wood I cut last year i found 25% of my 4x4s were twisted and unuseable.I had them stacked at the bottom of my piles with heavy 6x6 and 8x8s on top to weigh them down, it didn't work.1x4 boards cut from same small type trees came out great. Iv'e decided that 4x4s cut from heart of small trees just don't work.Maybe everybody else knows this but it was news to me.Oh well, I have nice square dry wood for the stove this winter. :)Still very dissapointing though.

logwalker

That happens to me also. Are you cutting Fir? I end up using them as 4/5 foot bolsters for the ground. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

brdmkr

I'm still new and learning, but I have found that high quality lumber can be had from low quality logs, but it seems pretty rare.  I cut a pecan yesterday that had no taper, no tension and the lumber turned out great.  Crook, tension, lots of taper, knots, and other things all contribute.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Thank You Sponsors!