iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Conceptualizing my pedestal stand/table

Started by SwampDonkey, August 25, 2007, 01:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

That will be beautiful after the finish is applied. I can't wait to see the contrasts of wood.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

Here is the upper support mortised together. Fits like a glove.  ;D The wood looks light, but it will finish a light brown. It's ash heartwood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Applied the first finish coat on the underside of the table and pedestal. Using Diamond Varathane, water based.

You didn't notice the spalted birch feet did ya?  :D :D 8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don K

I saw it in reply 66 but I thought it was some type of moisture staining. I figured it would blend into your finish or you wouldn't have used it.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

beenthere

SD
Going to be very interesting to see how this top holds together as the seasons cause dimensional change in the wood. Sure looks like some good woodworking skills going into it.

What are the finish coats?  sprayed or brushed on?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Brushed on.

One of the reasons I was taking my time was to see how the wood reacted to extreme dry heat in the shop, 100-120° F at times. :D Not while working on it, but in between. I kept measuring the width across the grain of the ash and the movement was very slight. So it's been in the driest situation it's ever going to be. In the summer will be more humid and I was thinking it will just tighten up more than anything. We'll see.  ;D

isawlogs

Nice peice of furniture , you about ready for the shipping address,  ;D It will be an honour to store it here and give you weekly comments on the wood movement.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Burlkraft

Lookin' good Donk  ;D  ;D  ;D

I like it almost as much as last year's desk  ;)  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Well Marcel, I told mom I gotta sit and admire it for awhile before she gets it. But that it is only on loan. She's already looking for a spot to stash her burl coffee table. I fear I'll never see it again once it leaves the old farm.  :(

WELL, the inlay birch table ain't leaving. 

Hmm, gotta build it first. ;D :D :D

WDH

Nice!

There is a pile of geometry going on in that top :)

I am impressed!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I ain't one to boast, but I'm pretty proud of it.  8)

More geometry to come. ;D

WDH

Partner,

You should be proud of that one ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

Your table looks wonderful, SD.

The time you spent headscratching  smiley_headscratch really paid off on the leg and pedestal base.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!