iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Conceptualizing my pedestal stand/table

Started by SwampDonkey, August 25, 2007, 01:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Here is an idea I have for the joinery of my table I'm going to build this winter. Remember this is still evolving.

Might beef it up a bit on the legs and joints like this.

wood I'm considering in the project:

pedestal column : turned black cherry

legs: yellow birch

square table top: white ash (square centre) with walnut (triangle) perimeter , bread board white ash.

square table top side trim with hanging drawer: butternut

Still cogitating.  ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

Not for sure what a halfing joint is...a top view might further my education.

I like walnut and ash together...always seems to bring the complements.  Watch the grain direction on your top...end grain against edge grain is bad.  I would really consider using home made veneer and possibly book matching the walnut.  It might also be interesting to do something with the ash.

In any case it will be interesting watching you build it.  I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Won't be any end grain touching on the table top, shown in last post. Board edges are the faint dashed lines in previous post. The halving (helps to be able to spell  ::) )joint on the underside of the table top served two functions. 1) to secure and strengthen the biscuit jointed boards, 2) to mount and re-enforce the side pieces such as the side matching the drawer face.

Not concerned about the feet as the grain will be parallel to the floor surface. Looking at an old piece tells me the worst failure is between two species of wood that have a wide margin of shrinkage such as an open grain wood (ring porous) with a closed grain (diffuse porous) wood. Not much shrinkage between ends, if any. Just edge to edge. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I don't have the luxury, unfortunately, to gather book matched walnut up here in the north country. Be lucky to get the walnut.  :D :D I might use birdseye on the sides under the table top.  ;)

Max sawdust

SD,
I call that a lap joint ;)
Can you optain a thick piece of walnut and just saw it in half to make a Bookmatch?
Looks like an nice winter project, can not wait to see it done.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

WDH

While I have never built a table like that, especially the base, have you thought about attaching the legs as sliding dovetail pins with the tail slots on the post?  I saw Norm on the New Yankee Workshop do one like that. 

Your plan for the joinery for the legs and post is still not clear to me from your drawing.  Are you planing to make the legs as one unit, mortise the post, and slide the mortised post over the leg unit?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

You read my mind Danny. I was thinking the same thing when I saw donkey's drawing. I like Norm. He knows his stuff.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

I don't know how well that fits on a turned column though guys. Be gaps on the edges and a lot of swing from side to side. Would work perfect if the column was square. You probably need a beefy dovetail. Half inch?

I've seen it done like this on our big red pine table, the wood is 2" stock.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on August 25, 2007, 09:31:25 PM
Your plan for the joinery for the legs and post is still not clear to me from your drawing.  Are you planing to make the legs as one unit, mortise the post, and slide the mortised post over the leg unit?

Along that line yes, but a little more complicated. ;)

Norm

Quote from: Don K on August 26, 2007, 04:49:12 AM
You read my mind Danny. I was thinking the same thing when I saw donkey's drawing. I like Norm. He knows his stuff.

;D ;D ;D

Sorry just couldn't help myself. :D

pigman

Norm sure does  know his stuff and Patty knows a lot too. ;)

SwampDonk, you could leave the bottom  of the post square. That would make it easier to attach the feet.
Here is a table I did earier this year with the bottom of the post left square.  On this table the post is 5", but I have done post the same way on smaller tables.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

Pigman,

That's a great idea to. Nice table. I have some 6" x 6" cherry I hope to use. Did you dovetail? or tenon the feet? I tend to want to tenon mine, a beefier joint since hardwood is heavy. What did you use under the table surface? A piece of bent veneer? How tall was the table? 30"?

WDH

Hey Norm, if the shoe fits, wear it ;D.

Very fine table, Pigman!  That finish is smiling :).  Excellent methodology to keep the post square at the feet attachment points.  Now, I need to make one too ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

pigman

SD, On this table I think I tenoned the feet. On some tables with pedestals I dovetail. I put a metal plate on the bottom of the post for support.  The skirt is bent lamination. When I started the table the client just wanted a 4' round pedestal table simliar to a picture he showed me. When I was half done with the table the design changed to an extention table with a 20" leaf. ::)  I was glad he changed his mind because I coundn't get the full circle skirt to work.  The half circle was a lot easier. I sawed the top in half and  bought wooden slides from Rocker.  The table is 30 " tall. The client was going to use the table as a card table until the boss found out about it and wanted the table for a dinning table, hence the design change. ;)

Bob

SwampDonkey

Quote from: pigman on August 26, 2007, 01:27:46 PM
I sawed the top in half

:o :o :o :o :o  I hope your client made a generous donation to the Heart and Stroke Foundation. ;D

Don K

Norm, when I typed that I knew you were going to jump all over it. :D :D :D ;D

Honestly though, you and Patty do some beautiful work.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

pigman

It is black cherry with some cherry stain on it. I do not like to stain cherry, but the customer pays the bill. ;D  They wanted it to match some cherry cabinets they were installing in their high end house. I have a picture of the rather large house, but being they are verry private, I will not show their house to the world. ;)

Bob

Dodgy Loner

You can use sliding dovetails on a round column also, you just have to flatten the spot where the leg attaches.  Easy enough to do with a block plane.  The favored method would depend on how many legs you're using.  With four legs, it would be easier to leave a square section at the bottom, but on the many 3-legged tables with a turned central column, the method I described is more common.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

We only want the table, not the house mortgage. ;D

SwampDonkey

Where there is a will there is a way Dodgy.  ;D

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 27, 2007, 05:12:49 PM
We only want the table, not the house mortgage. ;D

??? I'm missing sumthin, I think.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

beenthere

Not to worry, DL.   Furby will figure it out... :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!