iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting Green!!!

Started by tree dude, August 25, 2007, 02:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodney Sinclair

Quote from: tree dude on August 27, 2007, 03:28:34 PM
Thank You Mam,I will try toget up that way as soon as I can.But one problem Im running into is how to srart selling this wood what my best market is going to be,just all those small things huh!!! I have been calling everybody trying to see what i can do no luck yet
8)

Tree Dude, in our neck of the woods, the guy you might want to talk is Johnny Farmer. He's set up down in Doddridge.

Rodney

TexasTimbers

tree dude I have not the time to have read all the responses right now but I bet this has been mentioned more than once.

PLANNING and ORGANIZATION The lack of it early on has bitten me in the backside real hard and it will be next year before I recover from the effects of it.

A central role in this organization is having ample shaded areas to stack your wood for air drying and to store your logs out of the sun. This is a biggie. Don't start cutting a bunch of logs up without a plan on what to do with it. Cut stickers as you go from your flitches etc. Read the archives here and at Woodweb and anywhere else you can before you start going haywire and you will avoid alot of mistakes.

Type in key words such as:

blades
stickers
storing logs
air drying
kiln drying/kiln construction
quartersawing
cutting for grade
sawdust
slabs

Just typing in the words will get you a bevy of good reading. this is just a paltry start of what you want to read. Now get to reading  we will see you in a couple of weeks. There will be a pop quiz. :)

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

ARKANSAWYER

Most wholesale buyers will not commit to buying your lumber till after you have sawn some and can show them some of your product.  Here there are wholesalers who will not buy less the TT loads of lumber.  Others will not buy from small bandmill guys because most do not know how to saw well.  Then when you say "Tree Service" they think your wood is full of trash and they can not afford the down time.  I do know that you can saw a board with a nail in it and not hit it till the plainer finds it.
  Another thing I have learned is it is harder for a man to turn you down face to face.  Go See the People you are trying to sell to if at all possible and get some face time.  You would be surprised at the number of times some dude with a new band mill has called and offered to solve all their needs and never show up with a board.  Have some business cards in hand and lumber sawn in the truck and let the Man know what you look like.
  Now if every man who has promised me logs had showed up I would never need to buy another log as I would have a plenty.  As it is, I am a needing a few loads.
ARKANSAWYER

jpgreen

"Come and see us! Take 71 DUE NORTH turn right at 412 East till you get here! ( I would send you that way!) the EASIER ride is East on I 30 to Little Rock, follow the US  Hwy 65 North signs till you get up to just outside of Harrison, then hang a right and follow US HWY 62 till you get here!
Can't miss us, tall timber framed sheds on right hand side of the road just east of Yellville."

How much in gas would that cost from 96041 @ 15mph?   ...smiley_headscratch   .... :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

MikeH

32 cents bdft. for cants 3.5" x 6" x 8' up here by the truck load (does not include trucking) might make a few dollars on free logs.
I would give it a try if I had all the logs I wanted. I pay .60 to 1.00 bdft for my white oaks so that would be a loosing proposition for me.
P. S. There is not much money in milling only lots of Love. :-*

tree dude

Great stuff Guys,keep it coming my glass is getting fuller with each reply.Thanks for all the great info hope i get tou use some of this vast knowledge to its full potential. smiley_hollywood_cool

KarenKae

Quote from: jpgreen on August 27, 2007, 09:47:16 PM
.. follow the US  Hwy 65 North signs till you get up to just outside of Harrison, then hang a right and follow US HWY 62 till you get here!
Can't miss us, tall timber framed sheds on right hand side of the road just east of Yellville."

How much in gas would that cost from 96041 @ 15mph?   ...smiley_headscratch   .... :D
Total Est. Time: 31 hours, 36 minutes     Total Est. Distance: 2128.88 miles
OK.. JP.... It is ONLY a three day trip.
Total distance, divided by 15 MPG @ an average of $3.25 per gallon.... you'll need
about $500.00 plus lodging and eats.
COME SEE US!!!!

Furby

Actually, that's a two day trip for some of us, but three days would be easier.

jpgreen

I would love to make that trip as I've cut to the chase a few times and consulted the great ARKANSAWYER  a time or 2...  smiley_sultan

Gettin' there sounds not to bad but it's the gettin' back costs that would be a bit of a challenge..   :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

KarenKae

Quote from: Furby on August 28, 2007, 04:19:29 PM
See how you are???
I was thinking 10 hours a day driving for the 31 hours would be a three day trip.  If time and travel was like it was 15  years ago, yep.. could probably do it in two, but then you would have NO energy to go to "CLASS" here at the Arky School in the Ozarks.  Bring work gloves and steel toed boots!!!
There are 30 acres on site, so bring y'er TENT. Got running water AND a flush toilet!!!
heheheh e  :D
Seriously, Arky has said time and again, he will show anyone who has a mill just how it is done in trade for labor.  I have followed him around for the last 3 months and I am amazed at what he knows about the sawmill business.  He has probably forgotten more than some sawyers know, but he is genuinely interested in promoting the industry and will do all he can to help anyone in the business, if he can.
So the invitation is open!  Come see us!  We will try to scare up a fiddler or picker and play you a little blue grass after the day's work.

KarenKae

Quote from: jpgreen on August 28, 2007, 04:35:19 PM
I would love to make that trip as I've cut to the chase a few times and consulted the great ARKANSAWYER  a time or 2...  smiley_sultan

Gettin' there sounds not to bad but it's the gettin' back costs that would be a bit of a challenge..   :D
Now, JP.. don't let that stop you! If all goes as planned, we could use a well trained hand for a couple of months.. or at least before the snow flies!!!!
Come and see us!  We won't let you starve.. at least I NEVER do!!! (see my post on the Health and Safety page for WEIGHT LOSS)

Burlkraft

Quote from: Furby on August 28, 2007, 04:19:29 PM

Don' cha  know yer only 'sposed ta have ONE log book.... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Furby

I only HAVE one book! ;D
I didn't say I'd do that in two days for pay.

I have done 1,000 miles in 12 hours before though. :)

By the way, any idea how far traffic backs up after they shut down I-80/94 ???

Burlkraft

Depends on the Flatlander migration, but if it's on Friday or Sunday it's as far as the eye can see.... ;) ;) ;)

Furby

Last Friday due to flooding and I can tell ya for a fact......... it's MUCH further then the eye can see!

Burlkraft

Yeah..There was a Huge migration last weekend......Summer's almost over...Ya know... ;) ;) ;)

Furby

tree dude

OOOO.K.????? smiley_headscratch smiley_speechless smiley_confused

KarenKae

Quote from: tree dude on August 28, 2007, 11:53:04 PM
OOOO.K.????? smiley_headscratch smiley_speechless smiley_confused
Yo, TreeDude.. why so puzzled?
Don't they have flat lander migration where you are..???? Oh.. I guess not.. YOU ARE a FLAT LANDER!!!  :D

tree dude

Yes mam, I would say I am a flat lander but Dad was born in Arkansas.So I guess I got a little backwoods in me. smiley_hollywood_cool

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Ya'll keep the ideas comin', now.

If the city keeps fussin about my "stuff," I may be
doing some rethinking of a serious fixed set-up myself - or at
least sometimes-fixed milling operation.

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

tree dude

hey Phil,is the city given you problems or somethin?Are there some things that I should be keepin my eyes out for.Oh yeh went and talked to a guy friday,has a contact who said he would buy all the wood I can cut, havent got into any detailes yet going to talk to him next weak. Suppose to be able to cut into cants 7/9s or so said he will pick it up to,just going to talk to him and see what hehas to say.Might turn into something,might benothing.Also anybody know what the goin rate for cants are?Just tryin not to look like a complete idiot.thanks guys smiley_beatnik

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Well, Tree Dude, it's like this.
:P (long story comin')
My shop/warehouse is an old railroad spur warehouse.  The railroad's property
comes right up to the wall on one side - the side with the spur.  There is the strip
(30'? wide) of land with the  spur, then a gravel lane, then another strip of land
(about 100' wide)  For years I had kept on the 30' strip, doing my lumber thing.

Six weeks ago, I tried to sell a lot of my wood.  Sorted, set up stacks on the 100'
across the lane.  Have been selling some, but DID NOT have the barn-buster sale
I needed.   The stacks stayed out too long.   The city inspector came a callin'.
My fault.   Should have maxxed out at about two weeks, bitten the bullet and
put all the stuff back up.  City guy calls railroad guy.    You get the political picture.
:-\
Today (Labor Day) I brought in 3 extra helpers and worked from 7AM until 7:30PM.
Weed eating, lawn mower,  hauling bark, scraps, slabs, firewood, banding lumber,
restacking and sorting,  WHEW!

The lesson?   Don't get too messy for your neighbors, unless you are out where
that in non-applicable.   Of course, if you do get messy and they complain, then
GIT 'ER DONE. 8)

Thus far, when I have had complaints, if I take steps like I did today and do a good cleaning,
all is well again.   Hope I didn't push the proverbial envelope too far this time.

Phil L.                                P.S.  Of course the area I am in is an industrial zoning, but it is
                                                 also railroad property, namely a spur serving my building.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

ARKANSAWYER

7x9 ties are bringing $0.42 bdft so a 8 ft tie is about $18.00 for hardwoods.
ARKANSAWYER

Dave Shepard

Quote from: tree dude on August 26, 2007, 10:48:44 PM

Also as far as I know there isnt that many small sawyers in my area.could be wrong though,

Is there a reason for that? When I first started looking into getting a bandmill, I started looking around to see who had a mill, and what they were doing with it. I found over 25 bandmills within 20 minutes of my house. :o Only three were operating commercially, and some where not even being run at all, which is a shame. Now there are only two operating for hire.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!