iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MD 127 questions

Started by cleargrain, August 24, 2007, 01:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleargrain

Howdy,

Got some good advice last year from some folks here on chainsaw milling.  I'm done breathing chainsaw fumes and pushing the saw through the log.  There is a '79 Mobile Dimensions model 127 for sale near me that I want to go take a look at.  Any suggestions on what to look for in this mill?  What tends to wear out on these?  What's the biggest maintence issue?  The engine had a recent complete rebuild.  Any advice is great.

-CG
AK mill powered by either an 066 or an 075, '79 MD 127, Allis Chalmers 655 tracked loader/backhoe

beenthere

Welcome - back.  :D

Talk to DanG about them, as I think that is what he has..... he might add that only the owner wears out ;D ;D ;D
Good luck with checkin it out. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Hey, Cleargrain.  Beenthere is right, the owner will wear out.  Of course, this owner was about shot before installation.  The MD is one of the most user friendly mills around, though.  There's no log turning or putting flitches back on to be edged...things that tend to wear out owners quickly.

I can't tell you an awful lot about the 127 specifically, because I have a 128 with hydrostatic drive.  I think all the 127s have mechanical drive, which is ok.  Some of them do not have electric start, which would be a deal-killer for me unless the price was really low.  Paul-H has recently been through this upgrade on his 127, so he could tell you more.  Another option that may be lacking is the power lift for vertical adjustment.  I wouldn't want to be without that, either.

Otherwise, the usual visual check and running the mill will tell you what kind of shape it is in.  The condition of the track beam is the most important thing.  Make sure it is straight and isn't rusted too bad.  Everything else is either inexpensive to replace, or easy to fab.  A new main blade would set you back about $800, and the edgers are about half that, if they need replacing.

Call Mobile Mfg. with the serial number, and they can give you a history of previous owners and any major maintenance issues they have been involved in.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

cleargrain

Hi Dan,

The price isn't real low, but it's on a trailer.  No electric start - my shoulders already hurt just thinking about that.  I figured to have a look and if it's in good shape I can upgrade that later.
Hints on the track issue?  I figured making 3-4 cuts would show if the track was straight or not.
Any subtle things to look for in the blade?  I've only seen good and bad blades (teeth wouldn't set), nothing inbetween.

-Scott
AK mill powered by either an 066 or an 075, '79 MD 127, Allis Chalmers 655 tracked loader/backhoe

DanG

I don't know about blade problems, as I haven't had any issue with that at all.  The blade doesn't normally wear, so unless it has been damaged it should be ok.  One thing about this type saw, the blade-tooth-shank doesn't have to stuff all that sawdust through the whole log, like on a conventional circle mill.  Each tooth tends to just snip out a chip as it exits the log.

Have you checked out Sawmillexchange?  There are several MDs listed on there to give you a good price comparison.  As I said, Paul-H just added electric start to his, so he can give you all the scoop about that, as can the folks at Mobile Mfg.  It doesn't use a standard VW starter, so you can't just go to the parts store and get one.

All I can tell you about price is that I paid $9500 for my hydrostatic 128, with electric start, power up/down, factory trailer and extension.  That was considered by me to be a bargain at the time.  Mine is a 1986 model.

Try to get as much run time as you can when you check it out.  With that fresh engine, I'd want to see it cut enough to tell if there are leaks and the engine isn't overheating or losing oil pressure.  Find out who rebuilt the engine, and exactly what was done to it.  I did a partial rebuild on mine because of a spun bearing, and now I'm suffering the consequences of that corner-cutting.  Gotta go through it again. :-\

Paul got along with rope start for quite a while and said it wasn't all that bad as long as the engine was well tuned and it wasn't too cold.  But then, he is young and foolish and I am in my sixties and lazy.  Besides that, he is...well..uh...well he's Canadian. ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Hey Scott, how about adding your location to your profile.  Sometimes it helps us to know where you are so we have an idea what sort of trees you might run into.  Besides that, we're nosy. ;D

Hang in here for more advice, as well.  There are several MD owners on here.  Are you particularly looking for MD, or just looking for a mill?  There are a number of choices out there in a wide array of colors. ;)

cleargrain

Dan,

I liked the set-up of the mobile dimensions & a couple have come up for sale within driving distance.  Not necessarily a "gotta have," but they look pretty good compared to a chainsaw mill.  Most of what I've cut so far has been dimensional doug fir and maple, so the MD seemed to fit the bill.  I figured to keep the chainsaw mill around for doing beams.  Besides no way I'm selling a chainsaw that has more horses than my first motorcycle.

According to the folks at MD, the engine on this one had a complete rebuild in 97 and has probably been sitting around alot since as they haven't had anything ordered for it since then.

-Scott

DanG

Scott,  you're DanG right the MD is better than a chainsaw mill!!  At least for making dimension lumber.  Ironically, I'm thinking about getting a chainsaw mill to do the things I can't do with the MD.

I just looked at Sawmillexchange, and I think I spotted the mill you're considering.  $10,000, right?  There is a brand new listing there that wasn't there two days ago.  It is a '74 127, but it has electric start and lift, and is $7500.  I would definitely look at it before making a decision.  Those two power options are worth at least $1000 each, and you can do a bunch of driving for $2500.  That "new" one is located in Washington, so it isn't like driving to Florida or something.  It apparently doesn't have a trailer, but that isn't a huge deal. If you're going to operate stationary, the trailer is a handicap, anyway. ;)

sawmill_john

Hey Scott, I'll through my 2 cents in.  I worked for Mobile mfg co for over 20 years, it's hard to beat those old mills, the things to look at are;
1. blade condition - hot spots, shank tightness, general tooth condition.
2. feed works condition - are all the bearings in good shape, loose in housings, or rough.
3. track wear - are the roller bearings still rolling and are the track surfaces grooved out from loose bearings.
4. The 127's had only 5 edger belts which limit the speed of cutting in the larger sizes, worn pulleys will allow the belts to slip in a big cut.
5. Cross feed assembly - is it tight play in this area will allow the mill to move during the cut which results in inaccurate boards.

Let me know if you have any questions.

DanG

HEY JOHN!!  Good to see ya on here!  You picked a good time to drop in on us. ;D

Shoot me a PM and tell me what's going on, OK?

Steve

Just to give you an idea of how those mills hold their value. I bought a 127 with the electric start, and 12 volt up and down, 100 extra teeth, and a set of extra belts in  about '78 for right at $6000.

Steve

I'd say the other's have covered what to look for.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

cleargrain

John
Thanks for the specific things to look for.  Which raises a couple more questions. 
-Are hot spots on the blade common? 
-Should there be any play in the crossfeed assembly?
-What size cut would you expect to maybe see the belts to start slipping?
-When did MD start making these mills?

-Scott

cleargrain

Dan-
Didn't realize it was on sawmill exchange.  I found it on Craig's list for about $8k.  The trailer is actually a necessity for me for the next couple years which evens out a little of the price difference with the one in WA.  The one in WA sure looks like it's been well kept though.
-Scott

DanG

It may not be the same one, but the description sure fit.  The "just reduced" price was $10k "FIRM".  Too much, in my opinion.  If it is the same one, he shouldn't be advertising it on Craigs List.  I'm pretty sure he had to sign a contract with Sawmill Exchange to get it on there.  Be careful to not get caught in the crossfire. ;)

cleargrain

Dan,
Didn't know about the contract issue w/ sawmill exchange.  Kinda puts a kink in it since I try to do the right thing most of the time.  Thanks for the heads up.
-Scott

DanG

It may not be the same mill, but it sure sounds like it.  I also don't know for sure what SE's contract looks like.  I bought my mill through them, but haven't sold anything before.  I would proceed, but with caution. ;)

sawmill_john

-Are hot spots on the blade common? 
**these are dark discolored spot that result from friction applied to the blade from any number of reasons
1. timber bind
2. dull teeth causing the blade to wonder in the cut
3. worn shanks will allow chips to funnel down along side the blade
4. I could go on for quite a while.

-Should there be any play in the crossfeed assembly?
** there will be some play, the idea behind the cross feed is as long as the system is moving from left to right, the play dosen't effect the accuracy much, but uneven play will cause the board to be different thickness from one end to the other.

-What size cut would you expect to maybe see the belts to start slipping?
** that's a tought one, there are so many variables, type of wood, sharpness of teeth, in an ideal situation, at the slower speeds the mill should saw through at the max. cut of 7".

-When did MD start making these mills?
the MOBILE DIMENSION SAW "Model 12" has been produced since the mid to late 60's, the Model 127 was produced I think from 1975 til 1980, the Model 128 was introduced in 1980 and is still made today, we made a few Model 129's,  the hydrostatic feed models started in 1984.  They still have all the replacement parts for all the mills.

Paul_H

Welcome cleargrain,

I was away for a few days so I missed this thread.
As DanG mentioned,I put an electric starter kit on my 127 to replace the rope pull start and magneto setup.The pull start worked well too for the longest time until the mag went haywire and would stay in the advanced position when I was pulling on it.That caused a whole lot of pain.

The kit was around a $1000 US and a new mag was somewhere around $400 with exchange but the deal breaker was the alternator which allows me to keep the battery for the power up/down charged.I am really pleased with the kit and my mill in general.

Here is a link to a post with pics of the conversion.

Link

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

cleargrain

Paul thanks for the input. 
If I buy this mill, the electric start is the first thing happening to it.  How long did it take you to do the conversion?  Since it doesn't have electric up/down a buddy of mine suggested just putting a starter on it (no alternator).  Any thoughts?

Does your motor make little random popping noises out the exhaust?   The compression seemed great (as I was pulling, and pulling, and pulling) to get it started, but I forgot my compression gauge to test the cylinders.
-Scott

Paul_H

The conversion took around 8 hours or so,spread over a couple days.Most of the time wasted is looking to find misplaced tools or a coffee cup that I just put down.  :)

I would try the pull start and if it works well,then invest the money in a electric up/down instead.It's a whole lot of hand cranking otherwise and if you have electric,you can be doing other things while it raises or lowers.

oakiemac

That electric up/down motor thing is for sissys. A real man can crank that mill up and down in no time. I've had mine for 4 years now and sawn lots of really big logs and a few small ones and I have cranked up that mill each time.

Well I can't talk too long here because I have to go soak my shoulder in ice water. ;D

Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

DanG

Jeepers Oakie!  Put a motor on that thing! ::)

Paul_H

Yeah,rest that shoulder and buy a high tech liftem deviceĀ  ;D

oakiemac

I can't afford no fancy lifting contraptions!

Actually since I have owned this mill, an electric lift has been on the list. Seems like it always gets trumped by something else.
I'm kind of waiting until I get my saw shed built then I'll run out 110vac and I wont have to mess around with charging batterys. Besides, if I keep cranking that mill up and down I figure I'll be able to win the local arm wrestling contest. ;)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Tom

Be careful about that exercise.  I thought I was getting strong from  pulling on my Wood Mizer clutch handle and have two destroyed shoulders to show for it.   Repetitous injury is devastating.

Thank You Sponsors!