iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tom surprised me!!!

Started by CHARLIE, August 23, 2007, 12:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

Friday before last I was helping host a party that Donna was giving for her administrators, staff and teachers......and.......their families. I spent a week getting the place ready but that's another story. I spent most my time cooking the burgers and hotdogs and the temp was 96°!  Anyway, Donna said, "Charles! Someone just drove up into the driveway and it looks like Tom."  I went around the house and looked and told her, "Yep, he does look like Tom 'cause it is!"  What a pleasant surprise that was. I went and got him and he was looking so hungry that I was afraid he'd get scrawny if I didn't get some food into him. So he came down for a burger and some sides. We had a good time visiting and did a little driving around. The next evening we had a pretty bad storm hit with high winds and lots of rain and lightning. We needed the rain as we were in a drought. Then Monday night we had one whail of a storm hit. Lost power about 8:30pm. Tom watched the lightning for a long time. There was so much it was almost like daylight out there. After we went to bed I could hear the wind roaring. Sounded like a freight train. No power in the morning so Tom and I decided to see if we could find a restaurant for breakfast. I didn't have much damage on my property but when we drove into New Richmond we say huge trees down all over town. Some snapped off halfway up the trunk, some snapped off at the base and some uprooted. I don't know how but none seem to have hit any houses directly. A couple of cars got smashed though. It was 80mph straightlined winds 'cause the trees had mostly fallen one direction. On house lost its roof and some walls. I think he got hit by a tornado 'cause his roof was upside down in a cornfield. Tom said he's never been in a storm like that one. Tom stayed until Tuesday afternoon and pulled out about 1:30pm headed for Illinois. I think we kept him fed good enough that he might stop by again someday.  :)  I sure am glad he came. It was a good visit.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Don K

Sounds like a good visit and good food and full bellies make it that much more enjoyable. :)
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

asy

Sounds like you guys had a ball!

Can't wait to see the obligatory PHOTOS!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

OneWithWood

Charlie, I am sure glad Tom made it over to see you.  It is a good thing he got rested up at Jeff's sister's cabin.

I always enjoy it when my bro stops in to see me  :)  BTW I gots two of 'em, Charlie and Paul.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

OWW,
I hope your "Charlie" isn't as conniving and ornery as my "Charlie".  :D

I got the chance to visit with my Nephew and Niece and their children.  It's the first time I've seen the twin boys. 

A storm in Wisconsin is an eerie thing.  the place is relatively flat, with few structures taller than two story and not many trees.  Mostly it is corn plants and lawn.

Charlie suggested that we go into the basement when the roaring got loud and he noticed that the windows were bulging into the house.  We spent most of the evening in the basement watching a constant lightening show.  The lightening was similar to what we call "heat" lightening down here, but it was all over us and reminded me of laser shows I've seen in the movies. What an experience.

I got a meal of hamburger the first night and steak the next.  My most favorite was the chuck roast that Charlie bought and cooked on his grill.   We got in a lot of visiting time over that.

His neighbor's flag pole was bent over in the storm and Charlie rescued the flag the next morning.   Then the big one hit that night and the shortened flagpole was bent again and the flag was missing.

I got to spend some time in Charlies shop working with his bandsaw.  We made some engineering changes to it so that the guides would close on the blade.  He's pretty proud of it and it seems to be a pretty good saw.  He can resaw 12 inches.

Donna has a jam-up garden with tomato plants so large that they have trouble holding them up.  There are squash, peppers and lots of good stuff.  Charlie takes all of the credit.  He kept whispering to me about the things he had done to make it so successful.  I noticed that did most of this whispering when Donna was out of ear-shot.

They even have pumpkin growing for the kid's Halloween.  One is going to cause them problems though,  it is growing through a hog-wire fence and the wire goes right down through the pumpkin.  It will have to be dismembered to remove it.  What a Halloween sight that will be.

Oh! Donna accused me of being an instigator like Charles.  I denied it, but she gave me this sideways glance like I didn't stand a chance of being believed.   I'm going to have to work on my finesse' some more.  :)

OneWithWood

Tom,
Unlike your Charlie, my Charlie is my older brother.  I could never explain the different 'ornery and coniving' behavior older brothers partake in.  But I bet Charlie could. :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

Charlie, I sure am glad Tom came along and rescued you from that stuck recliner.  A feller could starve to death in one of them things. ::)  We missed your wisdom and wit while you was trapped there.  It's a good thing you had that bag of Cheetos! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pigman

Last weekend must have been older brother visting time. My oldest brother from Texas, ( I try not to hold that against him)  stopped by for a short visit. I was helping a friend with his cows again when the wife called to tell me we had a visitor.  No, the cows didn't break my leg this time. 8)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!