iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Cruising Expert Needed

Started by solidwoods, April 16, 2003, 11:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solidwoods

I'm looking for someone that has an official certification to quantify and certify quality of stumpage/logs.  Maybe Master Logger Certification or a type of Timber Cruising Certification. Anyone know anyone with these credentials?

I am located in Fentress Co. Tn.  Between Knoxville and Nashville is Crossville, North hwy127 about 30mi is Allardt, my town
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Texas Ranger

Kinda sounds like you need a forester rather than a logger.  Take a trip through these web sites and find a forester in your area.

http://foreststewardsguild.org/scrscr/search.asp

http://www.acf-foresters.com/
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Wenrich

Why not use a cosulting forester? They can give you a cruise which is accurate.

What do you mean be "certify quality"? It's pretty hard to guarantee that trees will yield a certain amount of veneer, #1, #2,#3 sawlogs. Sometimes the defect is not known until the tree is cut.

Also, bucking can have a huge impact on log quality and quantity as well as harvesting techniques.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tillaway

What is the purpose of the cruise?

The only cruiser certifications I know of are for The USDA Forest Service and British Columbia has a certificate and training program but I think it has something to do with the Union and the Ministry of Forests.

Like Ron and Don have stated, any consulting forester can do this.  If it is for an appraisal for financing then be sure to use a forester that can do appraisals as well.  I believe you need special training and a license to do appraisals that will be accepted by financial institutions.  I know allot of forest consulting firms out here have that capability.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Thank You Sponsors!