iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Next project.....A sofa

Started by Robert Long, August 21, 2007, 10:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Long

I would like to build a sofa....I have already made a mission style oak sofa so The project is not over my head.

What I need is help to plan it.  So I am asking for help, a plan, pictures, suggestions or even a site to go to for ideas.

Thanks again!!! 8)

Robert

Tom

Robert,
I don't have plans, but let me suggest something from someone with a little age and arthritis. Make the thing knee high.  When an older fellow sits on something and his butt goes below  his knees, he has trouble getting up.  Why is all this furniture built on the floor?

Woodcarver

What Tom said.  I hate low sofas and chairs. :)
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

beenthere

Don't know the answer to that Tom. But maybe they feel some liability and are tryin to keep the center of gravity low, so when we fall asleep, we don't fall out  ;D ;D ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ely

probably because the folks that build the new furniture are shorter in stature, and it fits them comfortably. the old men in china and mexico typically do not have the same problems we do tom. :D

Modat22

Quote from: Tom on August 21, 2007, 10:45:14 PM
Robert,
I don't have plans, but let me suggest something from someone with a little age and arthritis. Make the thing knee high.  When an older fellow sits on something and his butt goes below  his knees, he has trouble getting up.  Why is all this furniture built on the floor?

I have the same complaint with toilets, at 6'7" I'd like a taller throne.
remember man that thy are dust.

Tom

You're dadgummed right, modat.  What we need is a store that sells "man-sized".

I've got my eyes on one of those "invalid" thrones. ;D

Woodcarver

I'm with you guys on that one, too. We just replaced a commode.  I checked all of the display models in the store to find the tallest.  You have a couple of inches on me Modat, but I don't want no short throne.  :)
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Modat22

Those shorty toilets make your legs fall asleep and make it difficult reading my wood working mags during those trying moments because they slide toward your waist when you set em in your lap.
remember man that thy are dust.

Furby

What is even worse are the ones that were designed by a female engineer! :o
You all know the ones I'm talking about if you've spent any time on the road.
As the push for water saver thrones moved on, the female engineers saw no use for all that space at the front and took it away. :'( >:( >:(

crtreedude

You think you have it bad? I am 6'2" and live in the land of Lilliputians!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

mike_van

Jeez Robert, too bad you wern't building a toilet instead of a couch - All sorts of tips on that subject!  :D :D :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Tom

We used to have a toilet that was built like a sofa.  It was called a Latrine.  :D

getoverit

I guess y'all havent been to the bathroom at Hardees??? I swear that who ever their plumber is must be at least 8' tall. I'm only 5'7 and I have to stand on my tip toes to use the urinal....I have been to quite a number of Hardees and they are all the same way. I even wrote to them about the problem, but never got a reply. Guess they thought I was joking...
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

thecfarm

We have a high toliet in the master bathroom.We both think it's great.No more knees up around our chins when we sit down.Just like our fireplace.We had that built up about chair height.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Fla._Deadheader

NOT all that difficult to raise the throne. I moved one across the room in a remodel at a condo. Built a cement platform, and made it look like a step going into a roman tub. LAWYER-Client loved it.  8) ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Robert Long

Thanks everybody!.............Your sure a lot of help with my sofa problems.
I think I'll go sit on the "throne" and think about what my sofa should look like. :D :D

It's going to be difficult running plumbing to the living room for a sofa that looks like a toilet! :D

Robert

Fla._Deadheader

Pretty tough for a subject to get "Boring" around here, EH ???  :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

getoverit

some threads turn into talk about food... I guess this thread went the other way? :o

Quite a few years ago I was in southern Venezuela and came across a guy making furniture using mostly hand tools and some home made power tools that were literally mostly bailing wire. It was some of the prettiest furniture I have ever seen. The guy was a true craftsman and it absolutely made his day when I stuck my head in the shop to see how he was building his stuff.

The one thing I remember about what he was doing was a sofa that was made mostly out of wood, and if I had to discribe it I would say that it had a "western" flair about it. The underframe, back and arms were all wood and finished with what looked like shellac. Then his wife had sewn about a 6" thick cushion and back and covered it in pretty cloth. I dont remember there being anything that held the cushions in place, but this could have been just hidden. All in all it was mostly wood..... some kind of wood resembling oak but a naturally darker color. I think if I were to build a sofa, it would be something similar to what he had built.

Robert Long

getoverit

I tried many ways to find something on the web about South Venezuela handmade furniture but no luck.
Can you help, I like what you describe about the sofa you saw.

Robert

getoverit

Unfortunately these people dont know what the Internet is so I doubt you will find anything on them on the web.

This is a picture of a chair that closely resembles what they were building as couches down there. You will just have to use your immagination on how to expand this chair into a couch.  The main differences between this chair and what they were doing is that the end panels had some hand carved panels and the  ends of the arms were also carved into a somwhat ionic column end.
Hope this gives you some ideas!

Robert Long

getoverit

Thanks, it's a start, and I like the idea of the carvings 8) 8)

It's also a better idea than a toilet!
:D :D

Robert

Thank You Sponsors!