iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kestrel Vacation Photos as requested

Started by Woodbender, August 21, 2007, 08:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodbender

We finally finished the canoe patterned after the 38 Special.

The canoe was built for Chris as a graduation gift for next year.  It is a pattern purchased from Al at Northwest Canoe Co. in Minneapolis, Minn.  Specifically it is designed to be a solo tripping canoe, meaning one goes off on extended camping trips with a week's worth (or more) of gear & food.  I asked Al for a solo canoe pattern that would be good on large open lakes with wind and chop.  And that's exactly what we got.  She's a dream to paddle.

It's Chris' canoe but he let the old man have a go at it.

And here's the whole reason the canoe was built;

This is probably my favorite shot;

And last one;

After getting a feel for her in the water Chris decided to call her Kestrel after the small bird of prey.  It seemed to be confirmed this last week on our vacation when Chris saw a Kestrel hunting while he was out fishing in her.

She is Western Red Cedar throughout - the dark strip down the side is not mahogany but just a real dark band of WRC. The gunwales (top rails for the land lubbers) are laminated Ash with cherry blocks.  The plugs along the gunwales are cherry as well.  The seat is custom built from hand selected figured cherry from his Grandpa Howard (my wife's Dad).  So every time Chris takes the Kestrel out fishing, Grandpa's going with him!

And yes - The Kestrel is already scratched.  The whole point of building a stripper canoe is to use it.  Every year or two you put another coat of U.V. varnish on them and they are literally as good as new if not better.

Next one is a tandem for me and the missus. 8)

Thanks for looking!
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

I am sure you are very proud of such a magnificant craft, Woodbender 8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I will be looking forward to pictures of the next water craft for you and your missus.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Fla._Deadheader

I built and rebuilt a few wood boats in my early years. Appreciate the craftsmanship required to do it right.

Mighty fine wood working and glassing.

Enjoyed the whole story from start to fishing.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!