iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LL's "walk in the woods"

Started by Lanier_Lurker, August 20, 2007, 11:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

SD,

I guess we will just have to continue on up and pay you a visit up there;)  I am sure Furby knows the way.  Dodgy won't be any help because he is always looking up, not ahead ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lanier_Lurker

Another of the trees I saw along the trail - saw several of them.

I do not know what this tree is.  It has me stumped.  Yet, I feel like I should know it.  :-\

WDH

How about a couple of hints? 

The stipular scars should completely encircle the twig, a diagnostic characteristic of this family.  Also, the terminal bud should be silky and a whitish color.  The twigs emit a sweet spicy smell when broken.  The fruit is an aggregate of follicles.  The leaf tips are usually acuminate, as you can see in the second pic on the left side.  It has a fairly large greenish to yellowish flower, 2" to 3" long, so it is conspicuous.  It has several notable first cousins.  One is a stately southern tree that is so southern that you see its flower on many tiles, plates, paintings, and other art work.  It has another cousin that is a fine soft-hardwood tree much desired for its fast drying, stable lumber, close grain, and ease in accepting paint.  It was a popular wood for painted furniture in the 1700's and the 1800's.  It also has a most unusual leaf shape, really one of a kind.  This is one fine family of trees.

Oh, this should be the kicker.........the buds are valvate ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Well...that's palpable enough.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lanier_Lurker

Uh, I'll try.

One thing you said that I think I understand and remember from a previous post is the stipular scarring (remember the oversized Carya leaflet in https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=25991.0) ?

It is apparently a magnolia.

I'll go with Magnolia acuminata.  But none of the bark pictures I find for acuminata closely resemble my bark picture.

WDH

I think it is cucumber tree.  The bark tends to be a little more scaly than yellow poplar.  That is about all it could be.

SwampDonkey

pupil: Why is it cucumber tree?

teacher: It just doesn't look like anything else.

;D :D :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Oh ye of little faith ;D. 

Remember the transitive theory of mathematics?  If A=B, and B=C, then A=C. 

In this case, C=Cucumber Tree :D.

Lanier_Lurker

Lanier_Lurker

Time for some more pictures from this outing.  This is about all that is left other than some more pictures of chestnut.

What do you suppose this tree is?

Tom

the leaves look like swamp white oak.

Don K

Leaves look like that of a chestnut oak.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Tom

The reason I picked Swamp White is because my Chestnut Oak leaves have smaller and sharper sawtooth edges than the leaves in the picture and the bark is scalyer than this picture.  It could be though.

SwampDonkey

Looks like ashy gray bark and leaves of swamp chestnut oak. Now there's one for ya. Q. michauii ;D

Chestnut oak is more to the north isn't it?

Tom

Yes, swamp chestnut oak, Q. michauii is what I was referring to when I mentioned "my chestnut Oak leaves".  Confusing, isn't it.  :D

Swamp white Oak (bicolor) does get into north Georgia

SwampDonkey

Not sure of the situation down there, although I have been in those North Georgia woods. Definitely not enough experience with them, just brief excursions.  But, it might be as abundant as yellow birch there, kinda sparse. Just going by the text of dendrology that suggests it's more in the northern portion of the east.

Kinda like red oak here, once you leave the major rivers and Grand Lake it's not found very often. Not rare, but not as common as maple for instance.

referring to Q. bicolor here.

LeeB

I don't know what it is, but we got em in north central Arkansas. I figured out the oak part. Looking forward to the rest of it so I can identify another of the local trees. There are so many more to get to know than where I was in central Texas. You fellows are great. Thanks for all the learnen.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

The Appalachians will mess your head up.  You find stuff from way up north on one side of the mountain and stuff from farther south on the other side of the mountain.  You still might be right, I'm mostly going on a mental comparison of the picture and the trees on my place.  I have quite a few Swamp Chestnut Oaks and have been told that it is  the most dense in the county.  That may be true, because I've not seen many outside of this quadrant.

WDH

I am with DonK on this one.  It is a chestnut oak, Quercus prinus.  Grows in the upper piedmont and the mountains on hills and slopes.  Swamp Chestnut Oak is a bottomland/swamp species.  You would never find Swamp Chestnut Oak on those North GA hills. 

The bark is different too, the Chestnut Oak is blocky and forms distinct v-shaped grooves while, like Tom points out, the Swamp Chestnut Oak bark is scaly, more like a White Oak, Quercus alba.  The bark in your pic, LL, is definitely Chestnut Oak.

LeeB,

I bet your oak is Chinkapin Oak, Quercus muhlenbergii.  The leaves are very similiar, except that they have little swollen gland-like structures on the tips and the bark is scaly like White Oak.  Of course, you might have Chestnut Oak too, but the bark will not be scaly it if is Chestnut Oak.  It will be like LL's pic here.

LeeB

The leaves will most likely be gone by the time I get home this time, so it will have to wait till next year for me to find and try to see if I can tell which it is.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

The leaf looked too oblong to me for chestnut oak. Probably the plaque was a clue about being up in the hills, so it's probably chestnut oak.  ::) Then again, maybe it was from the edge of the lake. :D

I was wondering is that the lake (Lanier) that is a reservoir that they pump the water up into the hills for hydropower and recreationists that kayak down it in white water? I been there.  ;D

Lanier_Lurker

When I posted these pictures I was pretty sure they were chestnut oak.  Sounds like they probably are.

What surprised me about them was how similar the bark was to the actual chestnut trees I was seeing.

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 11, 2007, 04:15:04 AM
I was wondering is that the lake (Lanier) that is a reservoir that they pump the water up into the hills for hydropower and recreationists that kayak down it in white water? I been there.  ;D

Nope, that would be Tallulah Falls lake, which is just upstream of Tallulah Gorge.  Every so often they turn loose a bunch of water into the Gorge and the whitewater enthusiasts line up for rides.

Further upstream on the Tallulah River is Seed Lake, which was the location of a subject of one of my other posts.  This river eventually feeds into the Savannah River.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Tallulah_Falls

I think they use the diversion tunnel referred to in the Wikipedia article to release the water into the Gorge for rafters and kayakers.

WDH

LL,

How is your acorn crop up that way this year?

Lanier_Lurker

Spotty and lackluster at best.

I've found a couple of northern reds that dropped a decent crop, and one scarlet that dropped a decent crop.

The white oaks are way off for sure.

Of course, the pair of pin/shumard oaks from the other post (in downtown ATL) have a bumper crop this year.  Not sure if they might have received supplemental watering or not.

The hickories have definitely outperformed the oaks this year.  After the number of aborted hickory nuts we had after the late freeze in spring, I have been surprised at the hickory nut crop.  The mockernuts in particular are dropping average or perhaps above average crops.  And the percentage that pass the "float test" and sink in water is running over 90% (on the mockernuts).  The pignut rate is much lower.

Seems like I read somewhere that this drought year has made for a good pecan crop in south GA.

Also, the yellow poplar seem unaffected by the late freeze and drought.  I am covered with yellow poplar wingdings.  Even my persimmon tree is covered with fruit.

Thank You Sponsors!