iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of tools do you keep in your field kit?

Started by Wrace, August 19, 2007, 03:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrace

I purchased a 346xp used, and then purchased a hard case and extra chain, and downloaded the manual. Now I need to add whatever tools will be needed for the typical field jobs - changing the chain, touching up the chain, other common items that may need to be addressed while in the field for a day of cutting?

The husky manual makes mention of a "sqrench" or something like that, forget the exact spelling. I assume that is some sort of combo wrench for use on the saw?? What all is it supposed to do? Is it worth buying or should I look at putting a few dedicated individual tools in the kit.

What kinds of things have you found most helpful in your kit? Maybe some homemade tools or gadgets that get used fairly frequently, or may not get used frequently but when you need it, you Really need it?

Thanks
Wayne

sawguy21

The 'scrench' is a combination screw driver/wrench that is indispensable. Use it to remove/adjust the chain and replace the spark plug. Also carry chain files and learn how to use them properly, there is a good thread here on this subject. Even has pictures. ;D
A hard hat with ear and face protection, good gloves, chaps, and comfortable high top boots should be on the list too. Oh, and don't forget a personal first aid kit that you and your partner (don't go out alone if possible) know how to use.  Almost forgot, a good lunch and plenty of water helps.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rebocardo

My tool kit for my saw includes

1) spare spark plug
2) two bar nuts
3) e-clip (those are fun to find if you drop it in leaves) and washer
4) small grease gun for the bar and bearing
5) extra bar wrench
6) spark plug socket and small 3/8 wrench
7) pull cord
8) hex driver or socket for loose fittings

I never sharpen chains in the field anymore, so, I usually carry 4 chains for each bar size. They are in a different box though.

Kevin

You should have a first aid kit and a blood stopper bandage.

sawguy21

Quote from: rebocardo on August 19, 2007, 06:53:00 PM
My tool kit for my saw includes
3) e-clip (those are fun to find if you drop it in leaves) and washer
Not an issue with his saw. ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

oldsaw

1) Big, medium, and small screwdrivers (chain adjust, repair, carb adjust)
2) 8 or 10" Crescent wrench
3) Round and flat files
4) Grease gun
5) Spark plugs for all saws
6) Spare chains
7) Spare rims
8) Spare e-clips and washers
9) Gloves
10) Ear plugs
11) Scrench
12) Some other stuff I can't think of right now

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Allison

I'll agree with Kevin about the first aid kit and the blood stopper bandage.
I use a disposable diaper, they come nicely packaged and are easy to store. I keep one in the straps of my hard hat. Brings new meaning to the term [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] head. :)
If you need it you can gurantee that the first aid kit is going to be in the pickup up the hill or over in the shade where you left the extra gas and your lunch. Too far to crawl!!

Take Care :)
Allison :) :)

alsayyed

I take nice cold water with ice, becuase it is hot and humid.
it take mobile phone in case something happeaned.
I take my Logrite in case i want to roll the log on the Logosol bed or the bed mill.
I take 1 litre of kersen( mind the spelling) because when I done with  job i clean every thing there i clean the machine very well. even i remove the clutch and clean it good and then greese the bearing and the oild the chain and put some greese in the bar grrove so when I bring my machine to the house should be cleaned very well.
I take 2 inch brush to clean around the gas and oil tank.

Rokky Rakkoon

i only have 40 acres and thats where i do 95% of my cutting. i keep an assortment of stuff out in the woods so i dont have to pack it back and forth.       
   along with the usual assortment of saw tools, i keep a gallon of drinking water, an ax, gas mixture/chain bar oil, my de-barking tool, a 20' foot chain and  light wt cable, a 6' steel pry bar, a come-a-long, and a tape measure. it seems i'm always measuring stuff out there. 

palogger

Don't forget wedges and a good dead blow hammer.

rebocardo

> I keep one in the straps of my hard hat.

Good idea, I think I may start doing that since my first aid kit is usually in the truck inside its bucket with the diaper. 100-200 feet might be bit far if you are bleeding to death.

Thank You Sponsors!