iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Keeping a piece of History Alive

Started by inspectorwoody, August 19, 2007, 08:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

As some of you may remember when I first became a member of the FF, I posted in regards to an ol' Crabb Sawmill. I'll try to make a long story short!  ;)

The mill was my Uncle's and my first sawmill to ever see in action and work around. Dad and I were "Going up North" as we called it about every week. We lived in Independence,Iowa and the mill was located near Sumner,Iowa. Sawing our lumber to build different things around the farm and cutting for another guy was about all we did other than the local farmer that would bring a few logs to us etc. I would have the job of of throwing slabs, running the ol' cut off saw and helping dad stack the lumber on the truck. When I wasn't doing that, you could find me on the tractor, driving Dad's truck around or just out pithing around being a boy!  ;) Around the age of 16 or so, I was at my Uncle's and asked him if we could saw, he turned to me and said, "You know how to do it,get out there!" I'll never forget how I felt that day as I hurried out the door and across the yard to the saw shed. In the late 90's, my Uncle's neighbor bought my Uncle's farm etc. and gave my Uncle living rights etc. From than on the mill would sit idle as we could no longer run since it was an insurance liability for the neighbor.

I had a couple oppurtunities since than to get it but money seemed to be an issue and no where to store it etc. Than the day came I found out it was advertised. I was crushed and thought I would have to watch something that meant so much to me slip away. I talked to my Dad and it seemed all would work out etc., so I made contact with the neighbor and found out that he had another guy coming to look at it but if he didn't want it than he would call. After I got off the phone with him, tears running down my face, I took a knee and prayed. It wasn't a few days later that I got the call that it was mine if I wanted it. Well than Dad backed out for reasons unknown. Again I was upset. Over time I finally got to the point that I would have to watch it go and just remember all the good times etc. Than came a call last week from my brother that it was in our local bank's swap sheet. Everything came rushing back and I was bound and determined I would have it! Natalie did some reasearch and found it was for sale on the internet. Seemed time was not on my side and it would slip away. Again I looked to Dad but he seemed wishy - washy again so I knew I had to do this one on my own.

Words cannot express how excited I am to tell you all that on Thursday it became mine!  8) Natalie's dad was kind enough to allow me a space in his barn to store it.  :) My Uncle left us in 2004, and I know he is looking down with a big ol' smile!

The mill was manufactured in my home town of Independence,Iowa back in the 50's. I will be working with the historical society to try and dig up as much information on it as I can.

At this time we will begin to take measurements and plenty of pictures before we start the big move.

What are some of the important measurements I should take?

Mike_Barcaskey

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

pigman

Congratuations Woody. 8)   Thats looks like an old 4-71 Detroit power unit.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Norm

That's cool Dustin, glad to hear it finally got into your hands. :)

inspectorwoody

I hoping to get in touch with Detroit Diesel to dig up some info on the motor. Apparently they just changed the filters and put fresh oil in the ol' girl. Said she smokes a bit but the fuel is quite old so I'm hoping with some fresh fuel she'll prrr like a kitten!  :D

WH_Conley

Bill

MikeH

GOD IS GOOD!!!!!!!CONGRATS smiley_inspector smiley_biggrin01

sawguy21

8) 8) Good on ya, bud. It would have been a shame to see that disappear.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Burlkraft

Congrats Dustin..... 8) 8) 8) 8)

I know you'll have that old girl all shined up and runnin' like brand new. I'm sure your Uncle would be very proud of you........ ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

woody1

Super find. I just did the same as you are doing. Take your time and get all the info you can. This is the best place to get any question answered. You should only use straight weight oil in the 4-71, very important. This is mine..and it looked worse than yours.
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Fla._Deadheader

8) 8)  Congrats Gadget.  8) 8) 8)

My #2 Corley came with a 4-71. Great power plant. YOU get to saw rather than just pull the stick, as they do with 6-71's. I loved that mill. Photos will be your biggest asset.

Then, visit folks that have a Circle mill running. There's not that much to them, except for the fine tuning.

I've seen them "Propped up" on chunks of logs and running  ::) ::)

I set concrete footers and knee walls for my tracks. That mill would saw exceptionally well, ANY TIME I WANTED TO CUT LOGS. Weather never affected it. I had it under an open shed and the engine was exhausted through the tin roof. Blower for the dust discharge.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

inspectorwoody

Thanks for all the responses thus far.  :) It will be a slow process and as time goes on, I will continue to to post pictures, questions etc. I have many ideas running through my head and I find it hard at this time to make sure I'm putting one foot in front of the other!  ;D

Main goal now is to get all the proper measurements, plenty of detailed pictures and the ol' girl moved before the snow flys. Over the winter I will spend time digging up information on the mill and motor, looking at building designs etc. The mill will probably sit in the barn for quite some time before I can get it set back up but I know I can visit it anytime!  :D

Natalie has been a great deal of support and I'm so lucky to have such a wonderful person next to me during all of this. She told me some time ago that she would hold off on the ring idea until I got the mill!  ;) Now I got the mill so I'm going to have to start working on that ring!  ;D

I'm not sure what oil was put back in it but I will find out. If it is the wrong oil, it probably won't hurt anything at this time since it will be stored will it? Also since it will be stored, is there anything I should do to preserve the internal parts etc.?

The mill is currently on what I believe Fla._Deadheader is reffering too a long the lines of the concrete. The log deck was wood and you may be able to see it laying in front of the carriage.

Here is a pic of the ol' flat bed we used to haul lumber and logs. Truck is currently in the hands of a buddy as he is going to use the body. I will end up with the motor and hopefully the frame and flatbed. He is going to use the tranny also. Had no where to go with it after my uncle passed on so I felt the next best thing was to put it in the hands of someone who is going to make it look nice again. Last I knew he was going to put it on a 4x4 frame.  ;)

thecfarm

That is some good news.Seemed like quite a struggle to get the mill,but it all worked out in the end.Good for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don_Papenburg

That is great and powered with the best diesel made.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

rbhunter

It is great to hear your story about the old mill. Please don't forget to thank God for he answer to your prayer even if it took a little longer.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

just_sawing

One thing get the Blade off and in a wooden box to protest it. Oil and grease it and when yiou can have it hammered. Since the mill has set with the blade on hammering (probably 300.00) will be a great investment.
Search the floors for the little things such as lost sets and stuff.
Your husk just have a another mill saw you a new set and when you have you drag trench in place install all wood new and treated.
Great job to save history
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lmbeachy

So glad your parayer was answered in a way that makes us all happy. Congratulations
hotfoot

ElectricAl

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

inspectorwoody

Thanks again for all the replies.  :)

inspectorwoody

Put a phone call in to Detroit Diesel just a bit ago. Looks like it is going to be some work to dig up more information on the engine.  ;)

Detroit Diesel gave me two numbers to try. One is only available 8-5. The other, GM, I called and they gave me another number.

Looks like Friday, I'll be spending some time on the phone! 

Woody1 - Do you have any information? Operators manual still available?

Thanks

rpg52

Congrats!

There is a Detroit Diesel forum too, if you can find some numbers off your 4-71 they can be a lot of help.  Also check ebay for manuals - older ones (if you can date your engine) seem to have more info and photos.  Here is the url for the forum: 

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DetroitDiesel/

Good luck,
Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

woody1

Mine was froze up when I got it out of the weeds. I got it freed up and it runs like a new one. There really isn't much to go wrong. I would pull the side covers off and look at the rings to make sure you can stll see the wear groove. Change the filters and fluids including the anti-freeze. Take the starter to a shop and get it checked over. My starter cost $200.00 to get it rebuilt. I had my injectors set, that cost $50.00. And get a good cheap muffler, I payed $80.00 for mine, it's worth it, Those old girls rumble. I use 2 12 volt walmart car batteries and she fires up quick. My 4-71 has a push rod to open the rack when you turn her over. I don't have to use starting fluid, and mine sat in the weeds for over 30 years.
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

inspectorwoody

Thanks for the info rpg.  :)

Woody1

Rumble they do! She'll still run, she just needs the shot of fluid!

I put in email in to MTU and posted in the group rpg posted. I'm looking for all the specs,original color(s) etc. I don't know anything about diesels so an operators manual would be great!  :D

Do they make a book titled "Detroit Diesels for Dummies".... :D :D :D ;D ;D I'm going to need it!  :P

Newbie I am!

Thanks again.

rpg52

inspectorw,
I saw your post on the DD board.  The fellow that replied knows them inside and out - he had a stroke so has trouble typing.  DD's come in all flavors, yours sounds pretty basic.  I have a antique 3-71, 1946. 

Some things to look for - the old style is 2 valve, newer are 4 valve (all exhaust, fresh air comes through the ports you can see through the hand holes).  Take off the valve cover, the injector is driven from the camshaft like the valves.  Wipe off the injector and you should find an identifying mark (a round indented spot with a metal tag).  The fuel volume pushed by the injector determines the horsepower.  Larger + more horses, but also more fuel.  "Timing" the injector requires a special little tool, determined by the injector. 

Make sure your emergency shut-off is working before you run it much - it operates from a pull wire button (like a choke) on the controls.  It operates a trap door to shut off the air if it "runs away".  Don't use it unless it is an emergency - the suction can mess up the oil seals on the blower. 

GM made millions of these -71 series (there is also -53, -92 and -149, all newer).  Each series uses the same piston, valves, injectors, etc., the -71 was the earliest, made from the late '30's to mid-'80's.  Lots of changes over the years.  The stock color was "Alpine Green", they all leak lots of oil though so they tend to be greasy brown.  They say to use straight 30 or 40 weight oil, though I've heard of some using 15-40w, I use 40w in mine.  The -71 series was made in 1,2,3,4,6 cylinders and multiples of 6 up to 24.  6 was the most common followed by 3 and 4.  Lots of 2-71's were used in reefer cars on railroads - there are lots of them still around. 

There are lots of manuals on ebay, just search for Detroit Diesel and you'll get several hundred hits, mostly parts and things your aren't interested in.  The newer manuals (look for in-line -71 series, usually include 3,4 and 6 cylinders) are useful, but may include stuff you aren't interested in.  They give basic operations though - mine cost about $20-30.  I also found some older manuals - they have more photos and diagrams, but you should try to get one near to your year model.  There are also parts manuals which I found handy, pretty cheap too.  Parts are still available, because they made so many of these engines.  Rambling on here, I'll shut up, unless you have specific questions.  These engines are pretty reliable and cheap to repair, but loud and oily (you already know that though).  The govenor is the touchiest part, better know what you are doing before you mess with it.
Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

Thank You Sponsors!