iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Pine Question

Started by WH_Conley, August 17, 2007, 12:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

I have a customer with several large White Pine that wants 6 x 8 out of them. He wants as many as he can get. The question is, how stable is white pine as far as cutting multiples from one log. Will it bow like hardwood. We don't saw much pine around here. The logs have been down for several months, he is fine with blue stain and worm holes.
Bill

Snag

I'm no expert by any means, but I have done the exact same thing and had good luck.  I did make sure they were stickered and weighted properly.

isawlogs

I have sawed many times a log just as you are about to do , some will bow a little as you saw um .. but not anything drastic . Ya might ask him if any do bow bad , ya could  put um back on the mill and get 5 x 6 , this I do a few times .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WH_Conley on August 17, 2007, 12:38:15 PM
The logs have been down for several months, he is fine with blue stain and worm holes.

Gonna be lots of that.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

big_sid

Bill, as far as white pine bowing don't worry about it, if it does bow turn it over and it will lay back down. I'd say cut as many as you can get from each log, sawed quite a bit of white pine, no problems.
never been so happy to be so broke

WH_Conley

Thanks for the replies folks. Guess I will start on them under the lights in the next day or so.
Bill

big_sid

what do ya mean under the lights? the light of the hot blistering sun :D ,or the light of the moon :D. brother it's is past hot, might try a little moon sawing myself :D :D :D :D
never been so happy to be so broke

WH_Conley

Hey Sid, we done got high tech since you been here, lights in the shed and all, even a pole light outside. Just got done unloading a load of logs by pole light. :D Gotta wait til daylight to measure them up though, want to make sure what I'm buyin. Even have a lawn sprinkler set up on top of the roof. Helps wet the logs and the air coming from my fan is about 10 degrees cooler in the daytime. Have been sawing from about iught til 4 in the morning. Gotta deliver some ties and pallet material tomorrow so I think I will sleep in the bed tonight, instead of behind the wheel.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!