iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strange things heard

Started by Onthesauk, August 13, 2007, 11:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthesauk

We've got lots of coyotes around us, two litters of pups down in the brush at the bottom of the hill this year.  We seldom see them, although I did chase a pup with the ATV, down a back road and into the brush a few weeks ago.  But I've started finding more scat on the trails up the hillside closer to the house recently.  Then about 1:00AM last night had one bark and then howl, sounded like right outside the bedroom window, woke us out of a sound sleep.  Never had them make that much noise, that close to the house.  Are this years pups staking out territory already?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

solodan

We've got lots of coyotes around us too, but rarely see them. I do know that coyotes are pretty good weather forcasters. A high pitched howl is an indication of nice weather and a low pitched one lets you know to cover things with the tarps. ;D I lived in South Lake Tahoe for a year on a street that no one else lived on full time. There were hundreds of resident coyotes on that street, and it was only a block from the highway. This old indian tale of the coyotes howl seemed true enough from what I witnessed. If they are staking territory I don't know. I do know that they don't go in the garbage like the bears. We had one at 1:30 this morning. >:( It never bothered me before when I could just scare them away, but lately they have been taking the whole garbage bag out of the can, like last night, I turned on some lights and the thing takes off  down to the creek with a full bag. >:( Now I have to go find it all this morning. Sometimes they even take the whole can. ??? >:(

Dave Shepard

A husband and wife I know where having a disagreement about who was stealing their bird feeder. The husband swore it was a bear, the wife refused to believe him. One day they came home and the wife exclaimed "the fird feeder is gone again!" The husband replied "the bears got it" "I told you isn't a DanG bear"! "It is a bear, and he's eating the bird feeder behind the garage right now"! You can't argue with that. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sprucebunny

In the spring, particularly, I hear coyote families having a little sing-song in an opening about 150 yards from my back porch. I imagine they are celebrating a first kill with thier new pups or just having a 'bonding' moment. ( We always had family howls with our dogs ... dosen't everyone ??? )

I don't see any sign of them in my driveway and know they are fond of leaving "messages" in the trail at my woodlot so I don't feel they are trying to take my territory back ;D

Last spring I saw a coyote in the powerlines at my land. We stared at each other for several minutes , then both went on our way.

Northern NH is not a good place to keep an outdoor cat.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

I hear them once in awhile, but not very often. I even walk among them so to speak. They've never bothered me in any way in the bush. Even the bears run away.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sprucegum

I drove over a little knoll and surprised a coyote with 4 pups. It was hilarious watching them young'uns trying to decide where to hide, each one thought the other ones had a better spot.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteI even walk among them so to speak. They've never bothered me in any way in the bush. Even the bears run away.

Donk, isn't it getting close to the Fall Bath time  ::) :o :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!