iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

May have made a deal

Started by Fla._Deadheader, April 09, 2003, 04:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Talked to a local lumber company today, well, the owners, who I am friends with. They want to buy all the "Pecky" Cypress I can get and want to deal in normal cypress. They also will let me set up in their beam yard and do the sawing. They will buy all the oak I can get, which won't be that much, SOOO, it's off to the tree services, as soon as the new controller gets here.  8)

I need a place to saw. My yard is 30' X 75' out back.
   Tom, does Australian Pine make a decent substitute for oak for trailer decking ??  I hear it's pretty hard ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Harold,
I don't know how it is out in the open.  When it dries it is very hard......and brittle.   I cut some several years ago in Ft. Pierce and brought it home. There was so much tension in the wood that I had to cut it 6/4 to get a 4/4 board.  After it dried, I planed it and showed it to my wife who fell in love with it.  She said that I would have to make a floor out of that for her.  My excuse is that Ft. Pierce is too far away even though my uncle has offered all of it that I want.

The wood is creamy colored and has streaks of red-brown in it.  It is similar in texture to White oak but courser.  If a fellow tried, I believe he could make a specialty flooring wood out of it and do a good business.

Fla._Deadheader

There was so much tension in the wood that I had to cut it 6/4 to get a 4/4 board.

How would one get it straight enough and keep it that way, to make flooring ????????
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

Fla_Deadheader have you ever tried that product called a bucket of steam? It works great and will keep the boards very straight.

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

"Diz", that's what ya use to BEND wood.?? ::) :D :D

How big a bucket would ya need for about 5mbd/ft??
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

DanGit I was hoping you would believe that one! I left the smileys out hoping you thought I was serious. :D :D :D
  BTW if you ever cut boards that are a bit short give me a call as I own a lumber stretcher and it works great! :D :D :D

Steve

wiam

At work one day ( we put up gaurdrails) we had a local road foreman convinced that we had a culvert stretcher at home.  :D :D :D

William

Tom

Seriously,
If I cut enough of this and found that I had to cut it so thick to get a decent board, The retail price of the wood would reflect its difficulty.

This stuff would peel off of the log like frozen butter scraped with a knife.  It bowed up on the mill such that a 10 foot cant would have a 2" or better gap under it.  The ends of the boards were 3" thick and the middle 1" thick or the middle would be 3" and the ends hardly nothing.  It would depend on which way I turned the cant, and I had to turn it each board.

A resaw would probably handle the job but I don't have one. :)

Sawed green it wasn't too hard but the dried boards are pretty tough.  I remember, when I was a kid,  hitting a dead Australian Pine with an axe, seeing sparks and not leaving much of a mark. :-/  

Fla._Deadheader

Are ya sayin I'll need bi-metal blades ?? ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

No, it isn't the blades fault.  Just don't expect the boards to come off of there nice and neat.  This is a case of being an artist if you want it to work. Saw it the best you can, dry it, cut it into shorter pieces :D and fix it with the planer.  

Perhaps you you will find some "Relaxed" trees.   ;D   Sing'em a song before you take'em down. :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

There's a guy here, with a Ripsaw, that "says" he uses it for cabinets. Are there any conditions where it may not be so stressed, like thick stand or NOT a thick stand?? It seems to mostly grow in bunches??
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

It grows in bunches because it is so prolific. It root sprouts from the mature tree and the cones/(seeds) fall by the thousands to the ground under the tree and sprout.  The bed of needles the mature tree lays down prevents much else from growing under there.

Most of the Big trees, that I remember as a child, are gone.  Either Hurricanes got them or they were ringed by grove owners.They were  in the 20"-30" DBH range.  Florida determined that Australian Pines shallow root structure made them not be the good wind break as first believed.  It soon became an effort to get rid of them but with little success. You will not find many solitary Australian Pines.

The trees I sawed were in the 10"-15" DBH range and relatively young.  this might have had a lot to do with the stress I found.  Not having sawed older trees (there weren't any)  I wasn't able to determine if a mature tree had less stress.

It really is a pretty wood and would make pretty cabinets.  Probably likened a little to Hickory with the markings in it.

Fla._Deadheader

Where's yer uncle, Ft. Pierce?? I may have to look him up??
   First, it is ridiculed;

MrMoo

Harold,
Given the name this question may be foolish but I'll try anyway. Is the Australian Pine native to your area?
Mike

Fla._Deadheader

Mr. Moo, I doubt it. There are a lot of "exotics" in Fl. I would imagine it was imported for windbreaks or something.  Tom??
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

TOM, ya just couldn't answer the question, could ya ??   ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

No, a two letter answer just doesn't seem apropos to a 35 letter question. :D :D  Besides, the more a fellow reads about this stuff the more interesting it becomes. After I posted these links, even though there is some repetition, I found others and must've read for an hour.  It seems one thing leads to another.  I read about Brazilian pepper and sea grape and coconut palms and Royal Palms and flowers and all manner of imported and natural florida stuff. :P :) :)

Fla._Deadheader

b-b-b-b- bu-  but, ya never answered the question????????
  Is it native?????? ::) to Fl. ????
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Fla._Deadheader

What were ya doin, watchin me type ????? :o
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

No

addendum:  We've got some mighty fast glass fiber lines up here that let me read and answer your post while your still waiting for your updated page to return to you.  I think it has something to do with vast influx of immigrants to your neck of the woods.  No time to update anything and by the time the instructions get translated the technology changes. :D :D

dail_h

OX CART TOUNGES :D :D :D :D :D
   There you go Tom,you can get rich cuttin ox cart tounges. Ought to be a good market,I doubt many mills make'm ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Tom

I've only got one customer that wants'em and he doesn't order'em too often. :D

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah, this Non-ISP phone crap is so much fun. Remember how much ya disliked it when you were here?? I REALLY hate it. But, NOW, for just $99.00 a month, for 1 year, I can get super satellite, blazing fast, light year speed, internet service. First time that went down and I lost a long post, I would use the dish for a frisbee and see how the ole 12 gauge still works!!
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!