iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help a n00b choose a saw?

Started by GW, August 12, 2007, 03:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jokers

DanG,

You and I are in pretty close agreement on the PPE and the contributing factors in Heath`s case. I didn`t mean to say that Heath could have definitely been saved by his helmet, far from it. What I meant is that why not use the best safety sense and equipment available to us?

Truthfully though, the best safety equipment that we can employ is between our ears. As I`ve gotten older and more experienced I become more resolute that most accidents aren`t accidents at all, just the result of poor judgement and foresight. Too often it seems that PPE does lend a false sense of security, but then it also the nature of man to be invincible.

Heath was working for the logging company that his parents own and operate, maybe he wouldn`t have taken the job under those conditions but more than likely he would have, had the choice been his. The contract was struck much earlier in the year as I understand, but we had a wet fall and a late freeze in that contributed to the schedule pressure. Maybe someone else reading this brief account will gain an insight or two that will prevent them from being caught in the same scenario.

DanG

Quote from: jokers on August 26, 2007, 08:10:00 PM
Maybe someone else reading this brief account will gain an insight or two that will prevent them from being caught in the same scenario.

That is my thought exactly, Jokers.  GW already has his saw, but this thread seems to have morphed into a safety discussion.  That's great, because you just can't have too much of that!

Frankly, I was a little concerned that you might think I was criticizing Heath's judgement, but I knew there were probably some extenuating circumstances.

We have a lot of safety discussions here, and most of them seem to gravitate toward PPE.  Thinkin' doesn't seem to get near as much press.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

GW

One of the spills I had on a motorcycle is an interesting example. I was wearing a helmet which was the law in Florida at the time and it had recently rained. I was on a 700 cc street bike going about 20 mph (32 kmh) behind a shopping center. The asphalt was in good condition except for the thin layer of water. I was moving in a straight line and no one else was around. I had my mind completely on my driving as the rear wheel just started floating out to the right side. I wasn't accelerating or braking which would have explained it. There was nothing I could do to stop the back end from sliding completely out and I had to lay the bike down. I slid for maybe 50 feet. I wasn't hurt at all because of the speed and the fact that the whole incident happened like it was in slow motion.

It was a strange feeling and a cheap lesson. It reinforced the idea that even with your full awareness certain activities are just inherently more dangerous.

jokers

You couldn`t have steered into the slide, rolled the throttle, and flattracked it?  ;D

jokers

Quote from: DanG on August 26, 2007, 09:40:50 PM
Quote from: jokers on August 26, 2007, 08:10:00 PM
Maybe someone else reading this brief account will gain an insight or two that will prevent them from being caught in the same scenario.

That is my thought exactly, Jokers.  GW already has his saw, but this thread seems to have morphed into a safety discussion.  That's great, because you just can't have too much of that!

Frankly, I was a little concerned that you might think I was criticizing Heath's judgement, but I knew there were probably some extenuating circumstances.

We have a lot of safety discussions here, and most of them seem to gravitate toward PPE.  Thinkin' doesn't seem to get near as much press.
DanG,

I have to admit that it has taken me awhile to fully understand your demeanor but now that I feel that I have a handle on your perspectives and presentation I probably agree with you more than not.

Regarding Heath`s judgement...............with all due respect to friends, especially departed friends, it`s important that we are judgemental so that we don`t repeat whatever grievous mistake they have made, and it`s a rare circumstance where no mistakes were made. I am not one to be offended by critical assessments as long as they are objective and not simply intended to disparage someone. I could tell you many stories about myself in action that would probably have you both laughing hysterically and asking yourself what the heck I was thinking?  :D........but the statute of limitations on criminal or civil liability may not have elapsed yet.  ;) I am a firm believer in benchmarking, lessons learned, and tailboard safety meetings.

GW

Quote from: jokers on August 27, 2007, 07:53:25 AM
You couldn`t have steered into the slide, rolled the throttle, and flattracked it?  ;D

I'm not sure what rolling the throttle or flattracking are, but I did turn into the slide as much as possible. I was between a wall and the building so my options were limited. I was the kind of kid who could go around the block several times on a bicycle without touching the handlebars and I consider myself better than average at driving skills. During this period the bike was my only transportation so I was very familiar with the machine. This was an example of a situation that "should" have been safe, but where normal observation didn't reveal the hazardous condition.

The problem was that the road behind the shopping center had a lot of oil on it. I may have hit a pebble or something, but whatever it was wasn't noticeable except for the resulting slide. Friction is our friend.  :)

jokers

Quote from: GW on August 27, 2007, 08:33:10 AM
Quote from: jokers on August 27, 2007, 07:53:25 AM

I'm not sure what rolling the throttle or flattracking are, but I did turn into the slide as much as possible. I was between a wall and the building so my options were limited. I was the kind of kid who could go around the block several times on a bicycle without touching the handlebars and I consider myself better than average at driving skills. During this period the bike was my only transportation so I was very familiar with the machine. This was an example of a situation that "should" have been safe, but where normal observation didn't reveal the hazardous condition.

The problem was that the road behind the shopping center had a lot of oil on it. I may have hit a pebble or something, but whatever it was wasn't noticeable except for the resulting slide. Friction is our friend.  :)
Since the motion of a bike`s throttle is rotary, rolled means opened it. Have you ever seen the dirt flat track riders, enough throttle in the corner to break the back end of the bike loose while they continue to steer in the desired direction of travel, pretty exciting way to ride!

GW

Now I know what you're talking about. That's basically what happened only in slow motion and I didn't need any throttle because there wasn't much friction.  :) It was actually kind of a fun ride and I was able to keep my bike from getting skinned up (except for the foot peg).

I had less success when I hit a super-tight hairpin turn covered in loose gravel on a steep grade.  :'( :) :'(

GW

I finally got around to cutting up some wood with my new saw. :)

I may not have experience with chain saws, but I know a quality tool when I use one. It feels natural in my hands and vibration is minimal.

Thanks again to all who helped me.

Thank You Sponsors!