iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mulberry good for anything?

Started by Brad_bb, August 12, 2007, 12:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Is Mulberry wood good for anything?  I've been clearing it each winter as it's a nuissance.  There is a one though that has two trunks that are quite straight and relatively tall for a Mulberry.  Is it good for anything?  Is it considered hard or soft wood?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dave Shepard

Is it red mulberry? I think it is supposed to be highly rot resistant. I have a TT load of it coming to the mill to saw at some point fairly soon, I don't know how it is to be cut yet, but I think it is for cabinet work. It must have some value, as it's being shipped from Long Island.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Daren

Mulberry for is good for several things. If you can get lumber from it, it is a hard wood, actually very hard. I will ask the same question, is it red mulberry ? http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=58 . It is a kin to osage orange (you probably call it hedge, since you are from Illinois like me) Like hedge it is hard to get a sawlog from, branches low and goes every which way. But I have sawed a few nice straight ones, the lumber could almost be mistaken for black cherry. It is pretty lumber and nice to work with, I will saw more as I get it for sure.
It's good hot firewood. It is also great for BBQ cooking. As a matter of fact I used to sell quite a bit of mill scrap/stuff I bucked to a feller up your way, he would come from the Peoria area and he and some of his local buddies would divide it up. $75 for what would fit in the back of his little Blazer (that's like $400 cord+) They used it to cook with. He must have found someone closer, I have not seen him for several months.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

jrokusek

It's beautiful stuff!  To me it looks more like a yellowish version of red oak.  It's open grained like oak and ash.  As a matter of fact, this picture shows a piece of red oak and 3 pieces of mulberry.   When fresh the wood looks very yellow.  Over time it takes on more of a brownish hue, but still distinctly yellow.  Many times it has red or pink streaks in it.  As mentioned before, mulberry makes good BBQ.  Try it on pork or other light colored meats for best results.  Also try mixing mulberries with fresh whiiping cream......oh baby that's good stuff....

Oh yeah.  If you pick lots of mulberries and your hands turn purple, try rubbing torn up rhubarb leaves on your hands.  That's the only thing that will get the stain off your hands.

Yeah.....mulberry trees are good for lots of stuff!   ;)

WDH

I think it would make distinctive furniture.  However, there is no enough of it available to make a commercial market or I am confident it would be a popular wood.

Love them mulberries 8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

Quote from: WDH on August 12, 2007, 05:42:11 PM
Love them mulberries 8).

So do birds...and I have a white truck. >:( >:( >:(

So...every mulberry within 200 yards of my truck has been sawn into pretty lumber. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Daren

Quote from: jrokusek on August 12, 2007, 05:26:28 PM
If you pick lots of mulberries and your hands turn purple, try rubbing torn up rhubarb leaves on your hands.  That's the only thing that will get the stain off your hands.

Learn something new every day ! Now I know rhubarb is good for something  :D.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

ARKANSAWYER

Nope!  Not fit to saw.  They guys are just pulling your leg and sending you off on a snipe hunt with a tow sack.  Need to just let me come and help you get rid if that nasty tree and be done with it.  It is just that I am goodly person and try to help out my fellow brothers in their time of need.  ;)
ARKANSAWYER

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Daren on August 12, 2007, 07:24:07 PM
Quote from: jrokusek on August 12, 2007, 05:26:28 PM
If you pick lots of mulberries and your hands turn purple, try rubbing torn up rhubarb leaves on your hands. That's the only thing that will get the stain off your hands.

Learn something new every day ! Now I know rhubarb is good for something :D.

I didn't know it was good for anything other than eating. ;) Mmmm! Strawberry rhubarb pie, rhubarb sauce. Now I wish I wasn't on a diet.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Robert Long

My grandchildren love rhubarb raw and dipped in brown sugar ;) ;)

Robert

jrokusek

Rhubarb makes good wine too.  I made a small batch of rhubarb wine with concentrated white grape juice and fresh squeezed grapefruit.  Was some of the best fruit wine I've ever had.  Haven't ever been able to duplicate that one batch.  :(

Made some mulberry wine ONE time.  The stuff was so dry I think it would have worked for paint stripper or commercial grade degreaser.

Dave Shepard

I ate some hot sauce once that listed floor wax remover and degreaser as some of its other uses. :o Put a tablespoon of it on a hotdog and the owner of the sandwich place called 911. :D :D :D

Dave

Brad_bb

So it sounds like I should have it milled and figure out something to make from it.  Most times these mulberries are kind of irregular trunks, but this one in particular is two very straight trunks that are probably 12-16 feet (I didn't actually measure).  In the past I cut many down and just burned them.  Sound like I should have sold or given them away for BBQ wood.  There were two that I cut last winter that probably could have been milled too.  Oh well.  This coming winter I'm going to harvest the mulberry, and a honey locust that was damaged in the yard a few weeks ago.  I may also cut two Norway spruce and a black walnut.  I just have to figure how to use them in the timber frame I am designing...I now have to find someone with a band mill.  Not much timber in my area so It may be difficult to find someone close by(Joliet, IL).
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Brad,

When you see how Mulberry reacts to light, you will
discover many uses for it.  When fresh sawn it is
as yellow as treated "Yellow Wood."   Light turns it the
richest red-brown you have ever seen.   It would be
great as pins and taper pins in timber framing, or as other visual
accents.   You can spot that color in a stack of lumber
from 50 yards away.

Sticker it on 16" centers.  It has a mind of its own.  Your logs
do sound nicer than most, but I would still go for the close stickers.

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Thank You Sponsors!