iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

flower id

Started by GW, August 11, 2007, 05:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GW

If you're familiar with this plant please say so but don't name it yet. :)

As you can see I know what this is, but I only recently learned that it is a native.

thurlow

Fruit is edible.................supposededly.   :)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

GW

SwampDonkey

I know what it is. But, I looked it up. Do you know why it was named what it is? Think of a Mel Gibson movie title. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GW

I read that recently SD, when I was researching the plant. I had no idea it was a native and I was surprised to see it growing wild. I've been kayaking down a river that's name is the name the Indians gave this plant.

Dodgy Loner

Not much to eat from the fruit of that species.  They're mostly hollow.  The ones you eat come from tropical regions (and they require no sugar).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Oh yeah, I know that one well.  P. i.

The seeds of the fruit are tart.  Nice pic.  We used to stomp on the fruits.  I love the scientific name of this one ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

There is a certain passion that one identifying plants falls into.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

Yep, I know that one, too.  We didn't have any on this place until I dug the footers for the house, then they came up all around it.  That ground hadn't been disturbed for at least 50 years.  It is a beautiful flower, and it is named after a beautiful story.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dave Shepard

It looks like it belongs in a cool drink that one would consume next to a pool.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

metalspinner

QuoteThink of a Mel Gibson movie title.

QuoteIt is a beautiful flower, and it is named after a beautiful story.

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome?

It is very pretty.  I wonder if we have them up here?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D

'The Passion of the Christ', ring a bell ? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

GW is making us be pass-ive on this one ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GW

Riles

Got 'em all over the pasture and they're setting fruit now.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

GW

Since I'm in the native fruit sampling mode I picked a few Passion fruits today. They are a little over 2 inches long and give slightly when I press them with my thumb.

The seeds are coated with a gelatinous "flesh" something like pomegranates. The aroma and flavor is very complex, like many other fruits combined. There is a distinct citrus flavor combined with ripe peach, pear, mango and pineapple. You pop the seeds into your mouth and kind of suck the fruit off of them. The first impression is one of subtle sweetness, but then as you break into the little cells of fruit the flavor changes gradually to tart. It's almost lemony, but not quite as sour. The lingering tartness then sets the stage for the next taste by making it seem all the more sweet.

Over all it's a very intriguing fruit, just not one that you will likely fill up on. And that's all I have to say about that.  :)

WDH

I "popped" many of them in my youth.... ::)

Radar67

Didn't know they were edible. We always called them "may pops". I've popped more than a few. Used to throw them at my brothers.  ;)

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

GW

Passion fruit is grown commercially. I think the purple variety is more popular than the green.

Thank You Sponsors!