iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

quilted maple

Started by turningfool, August 11, 2007, 03:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turningfool

does anyone out there sell large slabs of higher grades(aaaa or higher)of quilted maple anymore?Most of what i see on ebay or other auctions is cut very thin for guitar making.What i seek is slabs or thick rounds for memorial urns ,which would be turned on my lathe,but as of yet I haven't found any of usable thicknesses.larger burls also catch my attention of most any species,have seen many such burls on state/federal lands here in michigan but cutting them there is obviously against the law.

Max sawdust

I was at a county park, where you had to buy firewood.  Noticed it was all hard maple, also noticed quite a bit of it was curly or spalted.  I worked up a chunk, never saw curl so tight :o

Been tempted to go down and buy some "firewood"
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Daren

Quote from: turningfool on August 11, 2007, 03:06:54 PM
Most of what i see on ebay or other auctions is cut very thin for guitar making.larger burls also catch my attention of most any species,have seen many such burls on state/federal lands here in michigan but cutting them there is obviously against the law.

Sorry tf, turners just don't pay what a guy can get (4X) for thin stuff (except pen turners). Turners like to take a 15 lbs piece of wood and make 14 1/2 lbs of shaving  :D, and they buy with that in mind. What kinda burl are you looking for? The first 2 pictures of the burls on the floor are 20-40 lbs, the second picture some of the slabs weigh close to 100 lbs...didn't know how to separate them it was just burl on top of burl .

Or are you just looking for funky wood to turn? Walnut root ?

Or just figured wood in general? Or spalted and figure wood.

This would surely suit a guy as quilted? bout 80 lbs of sugar maple.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

metalspinner

Daren,
Now your'e just showin' off. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Daren

Quote from: metalspinner on August 12, 2007, 10:45:59 PM
Daren,
Now your'e just showin' off. :D

Yea, I reckon I am, just some pictures from my gallery here. If I had a "big fish" picture I would post it too, just too DanG hot to go fishin'.

SwampDonkey

Some of that burl figure I've seen on the dash of expensive cars. Don't know if it's still used as much as days gone by. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

Donk, that made me laugh out loud!  :D    The burl on the dash of my car hasn't even seen a tree much less is made from a tree! I know my car is not considered an expensive car, and I will probably never even get to be near the cars you are referring to, but I will still play the odds that they are no longer using real burl in them either. Of course I may be wrong, but I am guessing that in the whole scheme of things that the amount of burl being used these days in cars is not a very significant amount.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Daren

Quote from: turningfool on August 11, 2007, 03:06:54 PM
Most of what i see on ebay or other auctions is cut very thin for guitar making.

Just to follow up. I put this on ebay 2-3 weeks ago, 26 lbs (dry weight) of burl on quilted maple .That is why the pictures are watermarked with my web address, ebay side business from people who don't like to auction and visit my site. I am a turner myself and know it is not perfect for turning, kind odd shaped and it is dry (a couple years old). But it was a nice chunk. No cracks or inclusions, good solid wood. I listed it to test the market...the bidding never got above $22.60  :o. I kept it for that  ::). I sliced about 20% off of it and made some pen blanks I sold for $2.00 each. 12 pens blanks sold for more than anyone offered for the whole chunk...and there has to be close to 100 (?) pen blanks in that thing. I don't know maybe fewer pen blanks, but for sure more than $22.60 worth  smiley_headscratch

SwampDonkey

Yup, Patty I see a lot of that kind of molding to.  ;D I can remember a few mid eighties Buick models with the imitation stuff.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Trouble is Daren, most turners can get it for nothing. They are constantly scrounging and dealing with local loggers. ;)

tomboysawyer

Quote from: Patty on August 13, 2007, 07:25:34 AM
Donk, that made me laugh out loud!  :D    The burl on the dash of my car hasn't even seen a tree much less is made from a tree! I know my car is not considered an expensive car, and I will probably never even get to be near the cars you are referring to, but I will still play the odds that they are no longer using real burl in them either. Of course I may be wrong, but I am guessing that in the whole scheme of things that the amount of burl being used these days in cars is not a very significant amount.

My 1980 Mercedes 450SL had the real thing. People do make aftermarket replacements for the plastic stuff - even in "cheaper" cars.

getoverit

Quote from: Daren on August 13, 2007, 07:27:48 AM

I think your Dr. Pepper took a leak on that chunk of burl  :D :D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

beenthere

I ereased my comment to getoverit...decided to "get over it"
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Nuth'n held ya back before.  ;D

crtreedude

I would make friends with people who cut firewood for a living. I bet they could throw a few chunks your way. Splitting the gnarly stuff isn't for the faint of heart, so they might not even charge much.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Daren

Quote from: Daren on August 12, 2007, 10:33:49 PM

This would surely suit a guy as quilted? bout 80 lbs of sugar maple.

This came out of a firewood pile  smiley_furious3 I have referenced the guy before "Curly maple" He split the whole log 34" 14' before I even saw it. I have told other stories about this guy and his passion for burning figured wood  smiley_argue01

SwampDonkey

It sure is a shame. There are figured wood buyers around here. I seen one log with a 14" top and 12 feet long go for $1600. It was birdseye and the log was just about perfect, not many of them. ;)

I was in the provincial Archives the other day and all the interior wood was birdseye, even the book cases.  8)

turningfool

darren,checked out your website,nicely layed out.a burl is a lot like a christmas present ,you never know what you may get,any burly stuff is what i am looking for,and you are correct about thin boards and quilted maple,unfortunately..most go on ebay for guitar makers,but none the less i'm going to keep an eye open for some just in case 8)

OneWithWood

Patty,
I don't know about other marques but Jaguar has a whole plant dedicated to making the dash inlays for their cars.  The woods used that I am aware of are walnut, poplar and elm. Other woods may be available.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

treecyclers

I get burls from time to time, and have a one tonner on hand right now.
When I get them, I do one of three things.
1) Sell it whole.
2) Chunk it up and sell it off.
3) Slice veneers and make real money from it.
The tonner is for sale, too. Tasmanian Myrtle Burl - think maple burl dipped in red koolaid - at the bargain basement price of $7500 plus shipping.
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

turningfool

have seen tasmanial burl,similar to red coolibah also from down under but thats a might steep for me,not to mention that the shipping at todays prices what with fuel surcharges would triple the end price,butif you have any pics of that ton-er post them,would love tp see them ;D

Don_Papenburg

Turningfool ,  What about someone who has gun stock  wood for sale.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

treecyclers

Quote from: turningfool on August 16, 2007, 02:29:14 PMthe shipping at todays prices what with fuel surcharges would triple the end price
Actually, I can piggyback it on a load headed to the east coast for a minimal cost (figure $450-500 total) and have it dropped at your place easy cheesy like.
If you have a forklift available to offload, that reduces the cost even further.
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Max sawdust

Daren,
Nice web site.  Hope mine is as nice some day.
Nice burl too..

Turningfool,
I got some cherry burl with tight eyes and lots of figure (some bark inclusion too)  2" thick by 6x10" or so.  Milling a Sugar maple that I thought was not figured, till I planned a thin skirtwood slab, some spalt, little curl, little blister, not alot of any, but if you wanted a slab/chunk, I could cut it, I am just making 5/4 lumber.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

turningfool

i still have to pass on the tasmanian burl but might be interested in some curly maple,or other figured maple of sorst whether its localor otherwise..easy to cut,easy to finish..i'm afrain gunstock stock wouldn't suit my purpose,ty anyway

turningfool

received a small slab of aaaaa tiger maple yesterday via e-bay..its only 2" thick but it'll work fine for several small shallow plates..6"x52" will post pics of the finished products as soon as they are completed

Thank You Sponsors!