iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Launching of Kestrel

Started by Woodbender, August 11, 2007, 08:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodbender

Well it finally got done!  8)

A week before we go on vacation but she floats.

And the proud new owner entering his new birthday, christmas, graduation present.

The old man's turn.

Last shot;

Been a heck of a project.  Learned a lot.  And will do some things different next time with our tandem.  This one was a solo specifically designed for camping/tripping on big open lakes with wind.  It's 16 1/2 feet long so it's not as small as one thinks. The next one will be for me and "mama" to play around in.
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

Daren

Nice  8), looks like it floats quite well. Sure is pretty, there won't be too many others out there like it (and you know why, all the work involved). I followed the build off and on, did you mention it's final dry weight?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Dan_Shade

will it float if you roll it over?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

TexasTimbers

will it float if when you roll it over?

Haven't spent much time in a canoe huh Dan? :D ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Dan_Shade

hah, i figured the more you were in it, the less you'd roll it over!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Zundapp

Very nice job. I like that classic Tumble Home hull. How many canoes have you built?

TexasTimbers

It's kinda like being a carpenter. No matter how accurate you get with your hammer you are going to "nail" your finger eventually.

Of course the canoe will float upside down. The challenge is to right it, bail it, and get back in without swamping it again. It's no problem as long as your feet are on solid mud, but ewhen you're in over your head it is a little tricky. It is doable but you got to be persistent and make sure the gators don't get ya. :o

thecfarm

I don't know much about canoes,but that is some pretty.Good job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TexasTimbers

I ain't no expert but I know purty when I see it too. I want a close up myself.

limbrat

Its beautiful and being low should help in the wind. I wonder how cedar would do in a hunting dory?
ben

Woodbender

Not sure what question to answer first!  :)

Yes it's our first canoe build. We've had some other building projects under our belt though.

We're guestimating the total weight at around 42 pounds.

Yes it will float when it's keeled over.  ;D  I warned Chris we were going to be learning water rescue for that canoe in water over his head this week.  Now how would I know how to teach that? hmmm. ;)  If you are going to be out in a solo canoe - chances are you eventually will dump it no matter how good you are and it probably won't be Chris' fault.

You can get a closer look at her here and some of the building process. Go to photo-bucket/albums/b292/Woodbender/canoework/ to see more of her (replace photo-bucket with the proper site name ) I'm not allowed to link to it directly apparently.

Also our family webpage has some of the progress but only up to a certain point. I have to finish the documentation for the latest steps but after vacation!  8)
http://home.wmis.net/~eastmant/projects.html

Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

Don P

Obviously not your first time in the saddle  :)

That is one sweet boat, I noticed the care that must have taken to color match the sides, awesome job.

Thank You Sponsors!