iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodworking in Honduras

Started by Dodgy Loner, August 10, 2007, 01:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

My dad was on a business trip in Honduras recently.  He came back with some awesome photos.  My favorites were from a one-man woodshop he visited while he was there.  I thought I would share them with y'all, so you can gawk at them too :).

Here's a picture of his shop.  Looks about like mine when I'm in the middle of a project ;).

This is his stash of Spanish-cedar, which is the only wood he uses.

And here is a door in progress.  How would you like to have something like this greeting visitors to your home!

And this is a finished chest.  The man averages one chest per week.  The cost of one of these one-of-a-kind masterpieces?  About $200 :o.  My dad wanted to buy one very much, but he still had two more weeks to go in his trip, and the cost of shipping it back home was prohibitive :(.

He even owns a small store where he sells his work, as well as the work of many other artisans throughout the area.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Fla._Deadheader

Lots of shops down here that look the same.  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

mike_van

I hope there's a "No Smoking" sign in that shop !   :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Dave Shepard

I really like the carving on that chest. I don't think I'd want a carved chest though, but it would look really nice on a door. It really is amazing work, I don't think I could scratch my name on a board with a nail in a week, nevermind carve that chest in a lifetime.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

Someone just reading this thread, should go back and look at the chest again. A lot of stuff going on in the scenery. Awesome work. Takes more than knowing how to build stuff that's for sure. I don't know if I could get that carved in 6 months even.  ;D

Cool stuff, thanks for showing it off.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

Thanks Dodgy.  Some in the US will argue for hours about which table saw is the best.  Those pictures put us back in touch with reality.  I've toured woodworking shops in SE Asia and Mexico that were even more primitive but the work was still of the same high standard.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

crtreedude

I see this all the time - sometimes too many tools get in our way. It is the skill of the user that is the most important. Better tools give you better speed - but not necessarily better results.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

flip

Either someone has a NICE CNC mill ::)  or they have waaaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands. :D  That is very nice work.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Fla._Deadheader

Flip, you would be amazed at how fast the work goes, when you have the 'sperense.

I fooled around with relief carving, when we lived in Arkansas. Doesn't take that long to get fairly good at it. The "eye" is the most important tool.  ;) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

flip

smiley_dunce  I'd be in big trouble then.  I can barely see a board in a log. ::)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D

Just keep looking  ;) ;D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Dodgy Loner

I saw several carvers while I was in Brazil.  They weren't making stuff of this quality, but their speed and efficiency was really a site to see.  I know one thing, if I lived in Central America, I'd much rather be carving intricate chests than doing the backbreaking work that most of the folks down there do.  Heck, I'd rather be doing that here, I'm just not talented enough ::).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Larry

While in SE Asia I visited one shop where they carved figurines.  Carving tools were broken glass...they kept an ample supply on hand and just picked out a new piece of glass every now and than.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Dodgy Loner

That's incredible (incredibly stupid?).  I guess it worked for them, but I'll stick to high-carbon steel for my carving tools :D.  Where in SE Asia was this shop?

Fla._Deadheader

DL, you would be amazed how quickly broken glass will remove wood. Best thing in the world for smoothing Gun Stocks for refinishing. Works equally well on figured-knotty type wood.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Larry

Thailand...all expense paid vacation some 37 years ago. ;D

Haytrader

::)

R&R

How many was in the lineup?

;)
Haytrader

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on August 17, 2007, 02:24:07 PMDL, you would be amazed how quickly broken glass will remove wood. Best thing in the world for smoothing Gun Stocks for refinishing. Works equally well on figured-knotty type wood.

I've heard of using broken glass for scrapers, but never for carving tools.  But again, I'll stick with my HC steel.  I spend enough money on Band-Aids already ;D

jim king

Carving seems to be a standard South American woodworking ability.  We have several guys here in town also that are excellent.

Thank You Sponsors!