iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ok - my reason's not as good as Hiya's for missing the Pig Roast

Started by Woodbender, August 09, 2007, 07:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodbender

But we're on vacation next week and I HAD to get this canoe done.  Our son Chris is an insatiable fisherman and is really looking forward to getting her wet.  I will hopefully have launching photos to post after our vacation.

But here she is.  This stripper has some drop dead gorgeous curves.

This shot shows the side - look close and you can see the portage yoke installed that we made

Bow shot.

And lastly the stern shot.

Construction is Western Red Cedar with a cherry slat seat and ash thwarts.  The gunwales (sides) are an ash /cherry combination which we glued up. Cherry plugs on the sides of the gunwales that you almost can't see in these photos.

She has 6oz fiberglass cloth inside and out filled with System Three Silver Tip Laminating Epoxy (hence some of the rippling you see in a couple of the shots).  All ash and cherry have been sealed with epoxy (cuz ash likes to turn black if it gets wet) and then covered with three coats inside and out with U.V. marine varnish. 

The varnish is a sacrificial coat that WILL get scratched.  Doesn't matter - it gets sanded and a new coat of varnish every year or two gives you a canoe that is literally as good as new.

It was all learning curve but we had a blast.

I was really hoping to get to the pig roast and see you guys & gals & various yungun's but it just wasn't going to happen.
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

tim1234

Great looking canoe woodbender.  Did you make forms so you can make a bunch for your friends ;D

I helped my Uncle finish his redwood canoe.  He and his friends made a bunch of them and after all his friends were done they stopped coming by and left him to finish it by himself.   Only you know how much work it was.  I really like how you matched the wood side to side...like pinstripping.

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

tim1234

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is a piece of wood that goes from side to side at the top of the canoe that you use when you have to carry your canoe around something like a waterfall (Portage).  You flip the canoe upside down and rest the portage yolk on your sholders.
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Woodbender

Exactly so.

Quote from: tim1234 on August 09, 2007, 08:49:38 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but it is a piece of wood that goes from side to side at the top of the canoe that you use when you have to carry your canoe around something like a waterfall (Portage).  You flip the canoe upside down and rest the portage yolk on your sholders.

Tim Eastman (Woodbender)

Quartlow

Man that is one sweet canoe WB! haven't been in one since I was a youngin
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Tim L

Do the best you can and don't look back

asy

Truly magnificent.

You must be very proud of it.

How long did it take you to build?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Woodbender

Hi Asy - it took us over 200 hours but we had a lot of learning to do.

Gotta pack - we're off on vacation today.

Quote from: asy on August 12, 2007, 03:03:39 AM
Truly magnificent.

You must be very proud of it.

How long did it take you to build?

asy :D
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)

crtreedude

That is a lot less time than I thought - I fear for me it might be 200 years...  :o
So, how did I end up here anyway?

asy

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

OneWithWood

Great boat, Bender!!  8)

As your penance for not making it to the piggy roast you owe us a gazillion pictures of your vacation and the canoe in action  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!