iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First big sale

Started by sawwood, August 08, 2007, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

JR , Oldsaw and Me have been cuttting logs and stacking lumber for a couple of years now hoping to make some sales. We have sold some small lots but Sunday
a Cabinet maker i know needed some Walnut for a job he is doing. Making a wine
cabinet and table and the customer wanted it to look rustic so they wanted some
walnut with knots and spits, After going threw three stacks we came up with
enought to fill his order. We sold 415 BF of air dryed rough walnut and made $1.035.
Now if we could sell the rest of what we have we will be doing good. Do most of you
FF sell lumber s3s or rought ? have been thinking of planning what we have but that
would take some time and don't know if it would sell that much better.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Radar67

I wouldn't plane it unless the customer wanted it that way.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DanG

A seasoned cabinet maker who has been using rough lumber for many years will likely know what he's looking at.  The average week-end woodworker will only see a brown blob that looks unattractive to him, and that's why he's willing to spend $7 a board foot at Lowes for their s4s Red Oak.  Try running a few boards through the planer on one side so they can see the wood, and you might do a little better.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawwood

Thanks Stew and DanG. Thats what i was thinking Dan, just plane a couple of the
diff kinds to show, Then if they want it planes i can run it threw the planer at 15 or
20 cents a BF, Now that i have the spiral cutter i guess i better sell some wood to
pay for it. I am also looking for a 10 or 12" jointer to go with the 18" planer.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

rebocardo

If I was selling the wood, I would sell it rough, but, charge for planing as long as they bought the wood first.

I would keep some planed examples on hand along with some planed and highly polished pieces with a nice clear finish (with three to six finely sanded coats) to highlight what you have in stock that had a mirror finish that they could see themselves in.

Daren

I keep a few pieces finished like rebocardo said, right where everyone can see it . Not stuff like walnut/cherry/oak, but honeylocust, osage, mulberry, curly anything, any non typical wood I have to sell..., stuff most guys don't see every day. A guy who has the sense/good fortune to come to a mill to buy lumber usually knows what he is looking for. He has seen rough sawn hardwood like oak before and will buy it from past experience, he has planed plenty. Gotta show them something different if you have it. They may come after 400 bft of what they know and leave with that and 200 bft of "Hey, what is that, sure is pretty?"
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thank You Sponsors!