iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pole saw

Started by trapper, August 08, 2007, 01:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

I am considering getting a pole saw for around the yard.  I would like comments
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

beenthere

Hand operated pole saw, or one or a powered one...2-cycle? 

I have a Stihl, and it has performed admirably for many years. I don't use it real often, but on occasion to trim up a ways into trees, and prune walnut trees. If the limbs are beyond reach, I've heard that the shotgun works well.... ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rebocardo

If you want to buy one of the worse pieces of junk, buy a Ryobi pole saw with the gas trimmer engine.  I have two. One as a backup for when the other one doesn't work  :D

Mostly have two so I don't have to switch between the string trimmer and the clearing blade. They have the chainsaw attachment, which works okay. It just will not work with the 3 foot extension as advertised and the worse thing about it is being attached to the Ryobi.

Extended use of the Ryobi will cause the pole part to get hot ... hot enough to melt the plastic drive inside the case.

I think the cheapest pole saw that will still provide some decent results is the Remington electric pole saw with the -> AUTOMATIC <- oiler. If you are only trimming here and there, the manual oiler is okay.

I have used the Stihl pole saw, it is probably the best value, you just have to spend 3x-4x as much money for that value. The nice thing is being able to use the hedge trimmer attachment with it, that folds over at a 90 degree angle for cutting the tops of hedges. That works swell !

Dave Shepard

I have used the Stihl quite a bit and it works well.

Beenthere, it is hard to get a nice clean cut right at the branch collar with a shotgun. ;) :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

;D ;D

Gotta be "right on",  eh eh
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

Quote from: rebocardo on August 08, 2007, 09:17:53 PM
If you want to buy one of the worse pieces of junk, buy a Ryobi pole saw with the gas trimmer engine.  I have two. One as a backup for when the other one doesn't work  :D
Like riding a Harley. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 08, 2007, 09:47:25 PM
Quote from: rebocardo on August 08, 2007, 09:17:53 PM
Like riding a Harley. :D
Hey now! Got a 72 shovelhead here I've had since 74, aside from top ends and paint she's been across the country 4 times and to nova scotia to boot with no troubles.!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Al_Smith

Well,I had an old '54 pan that rolled the speedometer over ,ran like a top,wish I still had it,tank shift and all.

As far as pole saws,I have a Poulan that works like a charm.It isn't nearly as nice as a Stihl but then it didn't cost nearly as much .I think the thing cost 200 bucks ,saved me from climbing quit a few trees.

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

thecfarm

Seems like Stihl has 10 differant attachments.You buy the head and can put a pole saw,hedge trimmer,reg trimmer,tiller,sweeper and forgot the rest.That would be the way to go.I've been looking too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

The Stihl Kombi system pole saw is limited in that it is fixed length unless extensions are added. The dedicated unit is extend able by loosening the clamp and pulling the head out..
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

Actually the Poulan pole saw can also be a multi pupose tool system as well.You can put a weed wacker head,little roto tiller etc. on the thing.This thing interchanges with the ones Sears and Roebuck sells maybe several others for all I know.Again,not as well built as Stihls but many times cheaper.

jokers

The Echo pole saws have a reputation for having stronger extension tubes than the Stihls, I know people who have made a pretty good buck swapping out bent tubes on the Stihls after the saws were let to drop out of the cut and impact something after falling a few feet.

I have an Echo PPT-260 and it has worked well but I haven`t used it all that much. There is now a newer model available.

Thank You Sponsors!