iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hearing Protection

Started by inspectorwoody, August 06, 2007, 09:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

Saw this else where and thought I would post it for everyone here. A guy can always use hearing protection and free is always good!  ;)

http://www.hearingportal.com/people

Click the Special Kit Offer link on the left.

When you fill out the form, make sure you put in a company name! Others who have not done this have not recieved anything.

My kit included muffs and six different types of ear plugs, each with a different rating. Others have recieved safety glasses instead of muffs.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Burlkraft

Thanks Inspector....... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

inspectorwoody

Reddog

Thanks, I will give it a try.

LeeB

I strongly urge every one to use some kind of hearing protection before it's too late. Then you won't have to do like I do and just turn off the hearing aids and use em for ear plugs. I have worked in high noise atmospheres all my life and am only 47, yet suffer severe hearing loss because I didn't use any protection. Let me tell you, being deaf ain't no fun. :(
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

RSteiner

I second what LeeB said.

Because I thought I didn't need hearing protection and to some degree didn't know any better I now have a continual ringing in my ears.  My wife hates it when I have to say "what did you say" every time she speaks to me from across the room.  ::)

I use to think hearing protection was uncomfortable and didn't make a fashion statement.  Now, I realize that hearing protection makes you look like a professional and the stuff they have available today is very user friendly. 8)

Randy
Randy

bitternut

Thanks for the heads up inspector. My dad was real hard of hearing the last 20 years of his life and I know he missed a lot because of it. Your senses should be protected to make them last your lifetime.

I have to bite my tongue every time I see a young mother riding around on a lawnmower with a small child on her lap. Not the smartest thing to do for their hearing or the child's safety period.

wesdor

Thanks Inspector,

I currently use a helmet with visor and ear muffs, but would be willing to give this one a try.  At least the price seems right.

amberwood

perfect timing on the topic. I wear various types of ear protection depending upon the application and have done so all my life. My dad is as deaf as a post. I was just thinking that I prob spend at least half of everyday wearing muffs or plugs..dont look at the price tag too carefully they get alot of use and will def pay off in the long term.

My troublesome application is the very low frequency sounds generated in the skidder cab. It gets right into your brain. I was just looking at a better earmuff and this topic came up!  I have completed the survey..lets see if they really send them across the world for free!

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

rebocardo

I have often wondered if wearing ear plugs and ear muffs would be okay in combination. My only trouble is when I am doing a back cut on a tricky tree, I like removing one or both sides to listen for any cracking and the ear plugs seem tough to get out.

inspectorwoody

At work, I wear plugs with a rating of 33.

Main thing with plugs, as is with any PPE, is to make sure they are worn properly etc. If your putting your left ear plug in, your suppose to lift up on your ear with your right hand to aid in getting the proper fit etc. or vice versa.

I have worn plugs with muff/helmet system for added protection but plugs do become a pain if your starting/stopping often.

brdmkr

Thanks for the post.  I go through muffs faster than I can buy them (the vinyl covers on the foam comes off).  It would be good for me to try a different brand.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Ed_K

Don't you just hate it when they turn their back to you and start talking. What?what? I give up!
I'm with amberwood, the detroit needs muffs & plugs to keep you sane  ;D .
Thanks Inspector.
Ed K

submarinesailor

Rebocardo,

What I like to do when we are running the mill, is wear both plugs and muffs.  When I need to talk with my buddy, I pull the left muff off – the one away from the mill.  I do it that way so that if I forgot to put it back on, I still have the double protection on the motor side.  Works petty good for me.

Bruce

amberwood

Ed_K..actually its a 4cyl Fordson..it seem to be harmonic that comes on as soon as you go off idle. I usually wear muffs if possible but in summer its back to plugs to allow for a big hat (sun) and to let your head keep cool.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Engineer

Quote from: brdmkr on August 08, 2007, 09:57:41 PM
Thanks for the post.  I go through muffs faster than I can buy them (the vinyl covers on the foam comes off).  It would be good for me to try a different brand.

I dunno what you use, but I have been using Peltor muffs for years, running woodshop machinery, mowers, chainsaws and shooting.  I have never had problems with them coming apart.

Dale Hatfield

I have found the new style Husky helmet combo to have some pretty good  seals and can cover the scream of a wind mill.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Coon

Thanks for the link.  I was just due to get myself another pair of muffs for the sole reason that my last pair were so worn out that when I was cutting firewood with the chainsaw they fell off and landed right on the chain and were cut bad enough that I had to use duct tape to hold them together so I could finish what I was doing. 

LeeB, I think you have an advantage at times by having very little hearing without a hearing aid.  You have selective hearing....... :D :D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Handy Andy

I hope their salesman doesn't call.  My corporation only has one employee, and I only work part time.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

brdmkr

Quote from: Engineer on August 09, 2007, 08:39:39 PM
Quote from: brdmkr on August 08, 2007, 09:57:41 PM

I dunno what you use, but I have been using Peltor muffs for years, running woodshop machinery, mowers, chainsaws and shooting.  I have never had problems with them coming apart.

Let's just say that they are CHEAP.   I know you get what you pay for, but this is one item that I have not been too concerned with.  I didn't give over 5 bucks for them, so I can't expect much.  I don't know what brand off-hand.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

LeeB

Not being able to hear if you don't want to definatly has it's advantages but I would give it up in a heart beat to be able to hear the birds sing in the morning, alll the sounds of music instead of just a few, ect, ect. Protect what you got my friends. I can't say it enough.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

I wear plugs in the summer and muffs in late fall/winter for warmth. ;D I used to wear muffs in summer, but too hot.  smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawdust

I have worn ear defenders since I was little...I hate noise. I found that I could not wear the big ones when welding and those foam plugs just will not sit in my left ear.
I spent 50 on custom moulded silocone plugs, best money I spent in a long time. I have had them for 4 years now and they are as good as the day they make them.

sawdust

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

SwampDonkey

The ones I use have a short stem on them and rounded foam ends. I hardly know they are in there until a piece of brush sweeps by an ear and knocks one out. About that time a bush knocks the eye protection off as it makes the tip toward the ground. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

Quote from: LeeB on August 11, 2007, 01:01:43 AM
Not being able to hear if you don't want to definatly has it's advantages but I would give it up in a heart beat to be able to hear the birds sing in the morning, alll the sounds of music instead of just a few, ect, ect. Protect what you got my friends. I can't say it enough.
Amen brother.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

You can pick out the old farmers and woodsmen around here, they all wear hearing aids.  ;)

Tom_Averwater

I just got my hearing kit the other day .It has a really nice collection of plugs in it .Everybody was saying, "where did you get that."
He who dies with the most toys wins .

breederman

I got my kit a couple weeks ago I like the muffs better than what I had been wearing.
The company called yesterday to check on me. ;D
Together we got this !

Engineer

I got my kit last week.  They called as well to see how I liked it.  They got the answering machine though. 

Considering all the stuff they send you, almost makes me feel guilty.  That's a lot of free earplugs and a really nice set of earmuffs.  I'd been needing an extra pair or two for the kids, working around the chainsaw and tractor while I'm cutting firewood. 

Of course, now I'm trying to figure out how to get another kit.....   ;)  I'm just gonna go buy some more earmuffs.  I don't like plugs all that much.

flip

Thanks for the link, got mine a coupe of weeks ago.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

beenthere

Received mine too. Also one who feels a bit guilty, but I'll be passing them on to others to try out.
Thanks to Dustin and the company.

I use the soft plugs when woodsplitting, chainsawing, tractor and lawn work..as well as when I go shopping for the places where the music is playing too loud or unforgivable tunes. :)  That is where I'd really like to have the muffs on  ;D ;D  When running equipment, I like to retain some hearing to sense trouble and keep awareness of moving parts.

See the headlines this am?
Warning added to drugs

::) ::) ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

I'd got mine a week or so ago also.  I'd forgotten about them til I opened the box.  Lots of good stuff in there  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

JD350Cmark

I can't seem to open this.   :-[  Says I need to install flash version 8 and tried doing that several times and no luck   :'(  Guess I won't be cashing in on this deal :-\
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Burlkraft

Quote from: beenthere on October 19, 2007, 10:09:51 AM
See the headlines this am?
Warning added to drugs

::) ::) ::) ::)

That's why you ain't been able ta hear me lately...... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

Burlkraft

Ya gonna have ta speak up
smiley_old_guy

:D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

brdmkr

I got mine as well.  I would feel guilty, but I have been telling everybody I see how good their stuff is.  I intend to bring some samples in for my current employer as well.  Those guys make some nice stuff!

Handy Andy

I got mine last week, thanks for the post, yeah I'm guilty too.  The gal called couple days ago, said could get more at Graingers catalog. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

inspectorwoody

Glad to read ya'll got your plugs  ;)

I never got a check up call but if I remember I also put in 000-000-0000!  ;D

WH_Conley

Got mine, really goods stuff. Put them at the mill so my log suppliers can try them.
Bill

Ed_K

Rita brought my kit home last week. Opened it and says "Wow what a haul".
I have been handing a baggie with 1 of each kind to people I know need them.I also got a call from the nice sounding lady and found I can get more at Fastnels in town.Oh, rita got the head phones type  :D .
Ed K

ellmoe

Ad me to this list. It really is a large selection of their products. I see they make earmuffs with AM/FM radio. I am always having problems with the Peltors so I think I'll try them out.

Thanks for the link! :)

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Justin L

One thing I noticed when wearing hearing protection, is that my hearing gets more sensitive. I suppose its making up for it being too quiet! If you are around loud noise your hearing turns itself down(although it's being damaged) so this must be the opposite effect.

The only thing I can't hear is a baby crying with a dirty diaper :)
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

sawdust

I felt almost guilty when I opened the box.
Money has been flowing out awful fast lately, the box arrived unexpected. (i forgot about asking for it)
My cup just felt overfull er box

could we ask these people to be sponsors? They did not send a price list, I think everybody may get ear defenders for christmas.

sawdust

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Thank You Sponsors!