iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HELP !! Initial Kiln Temp vs RH for DH4000 (Nyle L200)

Started by DR Buck, August 06, 2007, 04:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I am using a DH4000 with Temp and RH displays.

If my drying schedule calls for a starting temperature of 90° and a relative humidity of 80% and the outside air temperature is 98°, how can I get the RH up to 80% if the over-temperature vents keep kicking in to control the top temperature to 90°?   

Do I need to raise the starting temperature and RH above the recommended starting points?   Looking at the drying rate index (DRI) in the Nyle manual it shows that I'm starting at a 0.2 DRI.   Do I just use the chart to find combination of a higher temp that is above ambient air and a RH that produces the same 0.2 DRI ?   According to the chart the next 0.2 DRI above my ambient air is 105° and 93% RH

My lumber going in is an average of 30% MC
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Don_Lewis

Set the temperature at 10F higher that the highest outdoor temperature and use the ssme humidity setting

David Freed

When the outside temp is that warm I just keep air drying. Depending on the type of lumber I either leave it out of the kiln or put it in with one or more fans running to speed up the air drying.    David

scsmith42

I'll do what Don suggests and watch my daily drying rate.  If the MC%'s on the test boards start dropping too quickly, I'll crank the RH% to a higher level to bring it back within spec.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!