iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blowin logs (again)

Started by sawyerkirk, April 08, 2003, 10:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyerkirk

gotta huge honey locust, 40" small end, and 16' long. I have blown many oak logs with black powder, but never any other species except a soft maple that didn't do well. anyone ever blown a honey locust? sure wish I had a swing blade. Any of you swingers wanna come to southern indiana for the day? PS: if you need to move this to the members section, feel free

redpowerd

hey, uh, can you use that powder to, uh, split a, um, tractor?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

sawyerkirk

If I try to lift this log with my loader, I won't have to worry about using powder!!

MM

if you go to blow that let me know. I would like to be there and watch..... :o
M.L. Morrow
812/614-1825

redpowerd

ha ha, its my loader im talkin a'boot. :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

ElectricAl

SawyerKirk,

We have not blown a Honey Locust yet, but it should react like Red Oak.

The big challenge is the 16' part ???

If the log is to be blown as one piece, then you'll need two powder charges.
The safest way to ignite two charges is with a device called an "Electric Match". It replaces the fuse in each hole. 12 volt is plenty of power.

Use your standard 40" charge for the small end, but add 10-15% for the butt if there is a lot of taper.

Use a digital camcorder to record the event. A tri-pod is a must, there is no way to hold a camera still.
BOOM  :o

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

sawyerkirk

I have blown a 16' white oak with just one charge in the middle, I may have "over powdered' just a bit, when the smoke cleared the two pieces were 9 paces apart (27'). this big monsterin coming in on a load of tie logs this morning, so I'm anxious to see it!

sawyerkirk

got my big log in this morn, it has an obvious twist to it, so I think I may try to saw it in half with my stihl 036. never done it that way, but I'm worried it will "blow funny" so I set here by the fire while it snows outside!!

Ron Wenrich

We've had a few that we had to cut before we put them in the mill.  We stood them up on end and sawed down through them.  We stood on the loader forks and used a saw with a 5' blade.

Seems a lot easier than having them lay flat on the ground.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

highpockets

I just unloaded some Cyprus logs about 30" (8'6" cuts) at the butt.  Can someone give me an idea of how much black powder it might take to split one.  I saw something about 40" charge but that does not mean anything to me. I been reloading since 1964 but smokeless powder only.   
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Tom

Highpockets,
We've stayed away from the details of doing this to keep some youngster from using us an instructional base for a dangerous venture.   An IM might get some information from experienced members.  :)

Ralph

Dan_Shade

a chainsaw and some wedges work wonders, i've seen reference to using a jack, but you have to make sure it will work horizontally.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Daren

Quote from: Dan_Shade on October 06, 2006, 01:35:43 PM
a chainsaw and some wedges work wonders,

This log is better than 50", popped right in half with chainsaw/wedges. The one under my name here at the side is curly and (don't remember 40"+?) the wedges didn't do anything but get stuck. I had to saw her all the way through. Don't get me wrong, blowing stuff up is cool ;D. I just can't do it in town (well, maybe ONCE  :D), I prefer the saw anyway. But just once I would like to watch one blown and see if it is as clean and easy as it sounds. I doubt it, give me an hour and I can get it done my way. Explosives are for fishing  ::), not milling.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quartlow

I don't even want to think about the work involved in this, bad enough first of the week we are taking down a white oak at my brothers that took a lightning hit this year. I'm guessing its 40 inchs I'm bebating on splitting it or skimming some off of each side.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

highpockets

Tom, you are right. I forget about being young and experimenting. The only difference is that when I was young, I'd been trying it on trees or fish, not school houses, etc.  Everything we do or say anymore, we have to consider the PUNK FACTOR. Ain't it a shame.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

dail_h

I can remember as a kid ,Dad sending me to town for dynamite to blow stumps. Hardware store right across from the police station. Loaded two cases in the back,caps and fuses in the cab,nobody even raised an eyebrow,just wanted to know if I wanted helo loading. Times sure do change
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

sawguy21

:D :D I remember the farmers using 40% to blow stumps. Don't get caught carrying powder, fusee, and caps in the same vehicle now.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

solodan

I woulda drove out to Indianna for the day with my Lucas if you want to pay for my fuel from California, but after all this talk about blowin stuff up I don't want to use the Lucas on something that we could just blow up. Even if you decide to use the chainsaw, I still think you should blow somethig up, and make sure you film it cause we want to see it. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!