iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wooded or pasture?

Started by Jeff, December 08, 2000, 07:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I was asked to post the following question on this board for your advice. Perhaps "Rufus" will get over his shyness, and register for the forum. I know you all will be of some help.

submit_by = ******

ask_the_forester_question =

I'm looking to buy 10 acres in Clare county,Mi, To build a house on and to have a few horses for 4H for the kids.

This is my question? I have a lead on 10 acres and it cost a lot of money but it is set right up for me kind of open for the horses, and a house and barn.

BUT

I also have another lead on ten acres in the same area, down a dead end road, which is great, but it has trees on it not good for horses, but the land is in a better spot. The land was selective cut about 5 years ago, so what is left are trees that are 6 inch in diameter to 12 inch in diameter all mostly Oak and Maple.

This is my question. How much would it cost me to have someone cut and REMOVE all sign of trees including the stumps,to get ready for pasture,on 7 out of the 10 acres. (I don't want it all clear cut,is my question.But the stumps gone.) and the land is a little cheaper per acre. Which one would be the better buy.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

The best way to remove stem and stump is to get a dozer in and push everything over.  Not sure of your regs out there, but it maybe it coud be burnt.  Other options are to sell for firewood or cut to pulpwood length and sell to a pulp company.  Tub grinder could grind everything to mulch.  At best, this would be a zero sum game.

The bigger problem arises from the stumps that are in the ground, but already cut.  These would have to be dug out, and that will be more expense.  The other problem will be filling the holes after being dug out.  

You need some advice from an excavtor.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

You need to analyze the land values of each parcel and determine which will meet your objectives at the least cost. One area will meet your objectives as is but costs more; the other costs less and needs land clearing, but has a better location at the end of the road. You need to determine how much value you place on the location attribute. Location is usually a preferred attribute.

I would get a copy of the Clare County Soil Survey from the local Farm Agency Office and review the resource interpretations for each parcel. Determine from the resource interpretations which parcel provides the maximum benefits an values/acre.

The trees on the parcel needing clearing may be sold first commercially as pulpwood, firewood, and chips if possible to recapture some of your costs. You will need to get bid prices from landclearing contractors for the specific land clearing and leveling with or without the timber. This cost will vary between contractors. Get recommendations.

You may want to have a Consulting Forester or the local Conservation District Forester field check both parcels and provide you with recommendations.

~Ron

NFL

My suggestion is to get an offer from someone to buy the wood and do the necessary stump work.  Then you can compare the costs of the two pieces of property.  The  wood value ought to more than cover the extra work expense.  A person to start with could be Gary Bucklin with the Conservation District office.  He covers Clare, Isabella and Missaukee Counties.  He should be able to help you out by looking at the property and then referrring you to others who can make you an offer.  Gary's number is (231) 839-7193, and his assistance is free. His job is to help you. You could also find out who cut the property last time and contact that person for an offer. Many loggers do excavating too, and could handle the extra work.

Of course, some might argue that you ought to just buy the open land and not convert the forestland to pasture.  Hating to cause any reduction in forestland, that is probably what I would do, but that is up to you.  

If Gary Bucklin is not able to provide you with what you need, let me know and I will send you to someone else.

Thank You Sponsors!