iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

electric hp vs diesel hp

Started by Celeriac, August 04, 2007, 10:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celeriac

I'm new to the forum would like to start out by saying thanks for what I've learned already, there are certainly many knowledgeable people here who are willing to share from their experience.   I expect this topic has been addressed previously on the forum but I didn't have any luck finding it so feel free to direct me there instead of rehashing.  I'm semi seriously looking to buy a sawmill  splitwood_smiley and see a lot of mills that are electric.  Three phase isn't available here.  I can't see where running a genset would be an efficient solution, although I do see some mills advertised that are setup with them.   Is there a general conversion factor from electric to diesel?   :P   The only information I've found so far was has lead me to believe that it would take about a 225 hp diesel to replace a 75hp electric motor.  I'm thinking that is a over sized to compensate for the low speed torque of an electric motor. Thoughts?
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

Dave Shepard

Welome to the forum!

Typically when comparing electric to gas/diesel most people figure on doubling the electric HP. A 25hp electric would be equal to a 50hp diesel. There are many people out there running sawmills off of gensets. I run a Woodmizer LT40 off of a 25kw genset. The key to doing this is to size the generator to your load. If you only need 50kw, a 250 kw generator is not going to be efficient. My 25kw genset will run a theroretical 33HP. The mill is 15hp, which leaves me room for a 10hp edger motor, a 3hp edger feed motor, and enough left over for a hydraulic pump or blower, should we need them. As it is right now we are only running the 15hp mill motor. I haven't had the chance to calculate how much fuel it uses, but I don't think it is a lot more than the 24hp gas motor that is on the other mill I run which is a twin to the electric, and the genset runs on cheaper off road diesel.

What type of mill are you thinking about? Production circle mill, small circle mill, bandmill? If you are thinking about a genset, you will need to have a plan in place before you buy it so that it will be matched to your operation. I am guessing you are not thinking about portable sawing. Running a genset as opposed to running a diesel engine to power a sawmill has advantages. You can put the generator in a shed away from the saw, which will reduce noise.  The genset can power all of your accessories. Three-phase electric motors can be had very reasonably. All of your engine maintenance is all in one engine. :)

Let us know what type of operation you are thinking about and I am sure someone with a similar setup can give you some pointers. Here is a picture of the electric mill I run, it's not in a house yet, but we just set it up:

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Celeriac

Thanks Dave.  I'm leaning toward a portable band mill although I can see some advantages to a stationary mill.  I'd like to make a business of it but with so many Amish in the area I think it'll end up as a hobby or sideline to something else. 

If I go portable I'm leaning toward buying a Timber Harvester and most of the used ones I'm seeing advertised are electric.  Most edgers I see are either electric or without power.  How would it be to have a portable genset in the truck bed to run a portable saw and edger?  move_it "Look pa, here come the Clampetts with their saw rig!"
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

Dave Shepard

I don't know of anybody going portable with a genset, but I am sure there are. The generator in the picture weighs at least 5000 pounds, maybe more, so you would have to have a heavy truck. Newer gensets probably have a better power to weight ratio. I would think if you are going to go to a job with a generator, sawmill and edger, you would want the job to be fairly big to make it worth your time. A mill with gas/diesel power would certainly be worth looking into. I know Baker, Woodmizer and others have gas/diesel edgers mounted on trailers as well.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!