iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing a mixed bag this week

Started by brdmkr, August 04, 2007, 12:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

The log fairy dropped in on me today 8)  Several SYP logs, a couple of magnolia (cool as I have never cut magnolia) a big old pecan log, and a couple of red cedar logs 8) 8) 8)

It should be an interesting week of sawing in the evenings.  Any tips for sawing the magnolia?

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

Lean toward flat sawing the magnolia into 4/4 or 5/4 boards.  Saw what the log will stand for widths.

brdmkr

Thanks Tom, I'll definitely flat saw.  Problem is, the log will stand more width than the saw.  I am limited to 6" :(
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

BrdMkr,

Even though my Alaskan mill and Stihl 090s are quiet most of the time these days,
I have been known to slab off some wide stuff.   When my Peterson has cut
the top section of a log into whatever boards seemed appropriate,  and a tempting slab
is just lying there looking pretty,  sometimes that two-cycle oil has to burn once more!

You could do it, too.  Don't need a huge saw for magnolia.

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Thank You Sponsors!