iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

watch the wood is smoking on video

Started by alsayyed, July 31, 2007, 02:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Today I have tried to mill this log when I have tried perform the milling smoke is coming form the wood or from the chain. I have checked the oil is flowing into the chain and I have checked the chain is working. I have replaced the chain with other sharp chain and still is  smoking could anybody tell me what is going on. The wood is acacia wood which is the same spices as the eucalyptus wood.

http://www.youtube.com/v/rJ-LzeeMKSM

Furby

Is your chain on backwards?
Sure seems like your chain is dull.

beenthere

Furby's answer would be my first guess too. Just not cutting at all.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Wahl

Could your bar be worn enough that it is not holding the teeth straight?
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

alsayyed

Quote from: fencerowphil  (Phil L.) on July 31, 2007, 07:47:59 PM
Some days are like that. ::)

Phil L.

yes that is the one. my chains are sharp and both of them are  new. that tree is got to be stuborn for today. i will try to play with it tomorrow and see how it goes.

flip

Let us know how it turns out, you may just have the worlds hardest tree :D :D
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

beenthere

alsayyed
Two sides of that log apparently were slabbed off, so it is possible to chain-saw the wood.
Hope you let us know what you discover is wrong with the chain. You won't be the first to put one on backwards.   :) :)
Sure helps to have the video to look at, and enjoyed seeing your set-up.  Your helper needs a safety hat with ear protection and a visor too, like yours.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jpgreen

Seasoned eucalyptus can be hard as concrete, but you can still cut it. What saw jig is that you got there?
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

solodan

I watched the video before reading any of the responses, and I thought the same thing as Furb. I agree with Beenthere, you wouldn't be the first. :-[ I think we've all done it. ;D :D

alsayyed

Today I striped the chainsaw and cleaned it very well and cleaned the chainsaw bar ready for next attack on that wood. I have found out that piece of log is very very hard wood, but even it is very hard at least it should to do the cutting, but I am trying to do it on Sunday afternoon when the temperature is good because right know the temperature around 140F humidity 100%.
I will let you know of what is going on.

jpgreen

-and I've been whining about 104..  ;D
Is that chain on backwards Alsayyed?  It's gotta be. 

What are those buildings in the background? They almost looked bombed out..  :-* Do you ever go fishing in the Arabian Gulf?

TexasTimbers

140 yowza!

I gotta chime in alsayyed I think it is on backward, and I too have done it not once, but twice. If it is on backwards you have finally reached the pinnacle of being a seasoned chainsaw operator. Anyone who has never put one on backward hasn't done much cutting. :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

jpgreen

Sprucegum

Don't some logs get harder as they dry?

You may have been able to cut it fresh but now that it is dry - even a sharp chain will not cut it  :o

You might look at a carbide tip blade  :P

That wood looks like it would be worth it.

Good Luck

P.S. I don't believe he would put the chain on backward every time  :)

JAMES G

please tell me you didnt put your fingers on that chain when the engine was running :o

LeeB

If the chain is not on backward, try making a cut starting at a differrent starting point. You may be hitting junk in the log.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

alsayyed

Believe me it is not  backward.
Even I have go a new brand chain and good condition 20 inch bar still hard. The log is not dry it been cut recently. I am thinking on Sunday afternoon I am going to attack that log.
Jpgreen answering to your question these buildings under construction they are brand new ones. Off course I have to mill my wood in the desert a way from the house.  Going swimming in the sea, the sea it is almost 5 minutes from our house. It is clean and sandy underneath. Regarding fishing I used to go fishing we have big Dow we have sold it. I cannot go fishing because my eye sight  not very well anymore some times finding difficulty driving but I know people they go everyday fishing and they catch big ones. We like the salt water fish, it dose taste different especially when it grilled and stuffed with tomatoes and Arabian spices oh boy suckling if this is right term. Next week I will take picture of these fishing boat and the type of fish and post those in  it on you tube again so you can watch.

Ron Wenrich

I'm wondering if coming from the other direction would make much difference.  Sometimes grain can play tricks on your saw.

Have you tried to cut a piece off without using the Logosol? 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

solodan

I think Ron could be on to something.In the video, I noticed that the feed rope had alot of tension. Is the Logosol feeding correctly. ??? Try cutting a piece with the saw off the mill, and also try feeding the Logosol without a log.

Thank You Sponsors!