iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

South America suggestions?

Started by Paschale, July 31, 2007, 03:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

So on my trip to California, I volunteered to be bumped due to an overbooking.  I got a $400 travel voucher, plus an upgrade to first class, along with a free stay at a hotel.   8)  Anyway, it got me thinking about a week that I have free in the middle of February, which is when I really go nutso with Michigan weather.  I started thinking of some warm places to go, but I didn't want to just go to Florida, since I've been there tons of times.  I want to go to another country.

Any suggestions of great places to visit?  I've been thinking about Buenos Aires, maybe Macchu Piccu in Peru.  Chile's always fascinated me, and I have friend who lives in Brazil.  Of course we have a few FFers in Costa Rica too.

Any suggestions?
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

asy

Come visit me, Puh!

February is nice and warm, we'll chuck ya in da lagoon and you'll forget there's even snow IN the world! Promise.

Also I'll cook forya. Promise.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Paschale

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on July 31, 2007, 08:27:02 AM

How's yer Spanish ??

I want to start learning..I plan to get some CD's to play in the car from some sort of language learning series, since I'm in the car several hours a week.  And then I'll practice at all of the Mexican markets and restaurants near me, and have some great tacos at the same time.   ;)

crtreedude

Yeah, Paschale - we aren't South America - we have better weather. Besides, Harold is a handful and I need all the help I can get keeping him on the straight and narrow... ;)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

If possible, look for LATINA Spanish. Mexican is just different enough, that it works better in Mexico than CR or further south, so I'm told.  ::) ::)  I used a Latin American-English Dictionary, and it worked pretty well.

Now, it's more fun to keep them all guessing  8) :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Harold is right, you want Latin American Spanish - not like they speak in Spain.

Raider Bill

I go to CR and or Honduras once a year. Can't speak lick of any type of Spanish but never have a problem getting understood. Makes for a good time actually discribing what I'm looking for or want.
If you like white water rafting consider CR. Great friendly people, decent food, prices are right, country is beautiful. 8)

crtreedude

Wait one dang minute - you are visiting CR and not visiting us? Now, I can understand perhaps with Harold, but me? It isn't something Jeff said after he visited was it? Honest, we didn't take a kidney... :D

Raider Bill

Had I known........................
I generally spend a week rafting then a week recovering and hunting Ticas. ;D ;D ;D

Jeff

Paschale if you go to Costa Rica and spend anytime at all, you wont want to leave, and since your a single man your going to have some of the most beautiful women as a group I think I have ever saw to make you want to stay even longer. Fred picked a great place to migrate to.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Yes - I would say pretty much everything is easy on the eyes down here, except perhaps Harold and me...  ::)

crtreedude

Just remember Jeff - you can run Forestry Forum from anywhere... :D

Raider Bill

Having traveled all around central America Costa Rica is by far my favorite. Between the rafting, beaches, people and the Tica's it can't be beat.
Our money is good there, language has never been a problem, transportation is cheap and easy. The beef leaves something to be desired but there's plenty of other good eats.
Put Tamarindo on your list.

Paschale

Quote from: Jeff B on August 01, 2007, 01:17:48 PM
Paschale if you go to Costa Rica and spend anytime at all, you wont want to leave, and since your a single man your going to have some of the most beautiful women as a group I think I have ever saw to make you want to stay even longer. Fred picked a great place to migrate to.

Costa Rica just skyrocketed to the top of the list!   8)

I'm thinking about Peru too, since I've always wanted to see Macchu Piccu, or however you spell that.

Raider Bill:  is Tamarindo a city there?

crtreedude

Tamarindo is a beach town - pretty good size now I think. There was an old movie called Endless Summer about some surfers tasting the surfing all over the world - Tamarindo I think was one of the first if not first places on the list.

Raider Bill

Roger that! Playa Tamarindo is exactly that. Very laid back surf town. If you go I suggest Captian {Suesieos} SP resort Hotel. Not sure how to spell it. They have bungalows pretty much right on the beach. Very nice and relaxing after a week rafting in the mountains.

Fla._Deadheader

I have a Gringo  friends, that have a rustic motel on the beach, in Playa Samara. That's where we spent our honeymoon.

There daughter is nice, and single. Has a couple kids, though  ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Raider Bill

Everytime I go there I'm envious of the beauty.
I've given up trying to see the Volcano.[arenal} I've been close enough to feel the mountain vibrate under my feet but never saw the top due to clouds.

This year I think it's going to be Honduras as friends of friends have built a Dive resort on a island they own. All I have to do is get there.
I've been to Honduras twice before and even though it's right next to Costa Rica it's not even close in comparison.
You sure are living in paradise.
And the coffee! oh my.....................

Fla._Deadheader

Raider Bill, just for you. Our house is on the right side of the photo 8) ;D

First, it is ridiculed;

Raider Bill

Beautiful! didn't think it was ever clear there.

jim king

Try this web page, it is our local expat newspaper.   http://www.iquitostimes.com/   

Rum $3 a bottle and $1 a liter for ice cold beer and all the wood and jungle you will ever need.

Ironwood

All I can say is WOW Machu Pichu (sic) is INCREDIBLE. Take the "locals" train from Cuzco, it is a trip you will not forget (ever). Stay over night on the mountain or in Aguas Calientas (sic) at the base, get up there before, or as close to sunrise sunset as possible. Also climb Wachu Pichu, the mountain just adjact (in the back round of most Machu Pichu pictures. Becareful at night in Cuzco, stick close to downtown with your hotel or only travel during the daylight hours if your hotel is out of hte immeadiate downtown area.

These ppics are HIGH in the Andes, we were playing soccer at our base camp @ 15,000' with our local friends when the ball blew, we were devestated (no me I was sucking wind, altitude sick to boot but could pass up the competeitve spirit of the moment, I am on the left.), then these pics of the Lama pens and the skulls on the fence were of local folks ancestors. They were living at 15,000' + as there ancient ancestors did, note the euthenised skull on the stone fence.

Ironwood

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Steven A.

Two years ago I spent time at Machu Picchu and then went on to Boliva. Other than the abduction and robbery in Lima I had a great time. :)

Visited several mines and spent 2 days in the remote mining town of Potosi, Bolivia. Hired a local guide who took me into the silver mine where men work with picks and shovels for $2.00 a day.   icks
Spent one day riding a bus on the Death Road, scary!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yungas_Road

I'll be pleased to answer any questions.

Steve

Ironwood

Steve,

We spent an afternon and then evening accending / descending a road up into the high Andes out of Cuzco to the town of Tinki (sic) perilous. The herdsman and the guides had just lost 11 freinds in a van. They had not been there since the accident the previous week. We stopped and they did a coca leaf ceremony. The van was still 1500-2000' below although the bodies were removed. The road was a single track with few turnouts. The jungle triaxles stacked, fuel, wood, and passengers (in that order) were always afforded the right of way. No guardrails, dry (thank God) but HUGE drops and questionable bed rock stability at the edge. There were gov't surveyors there trying to figure out how to make it safer. It is the only way into and out of the rainforest in that part of Peru. PERILOUS. I can appreciate your fear, luckily our bus was a charter, which in that part of the world USUALLY make it a safer bet.

Did the little boys chase your bus down from Machu Pichu?

Worth mentioning also is the ability to stay at the "hotel" up at Machu Pichu, which is usually booked, but for a solo traveller, perhaps a cancellation could land you a spot.

Wachu Pichu is the mountain is the immeaditate back round.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Steven A.

No little boys chasing the bus. I did have a great time there. One morning my guide and I hiked to the top of the mountain [sungate] overlooking Machu Picchu before dawn. We watched the sun come up and illuminate the ruins below.
Spent a couple of afternoons in Aqua Calientes drinking beer with a contractor building a hotel there. 25 men breaking up large boulders by hand then carting the rubble across town in wheelbarrows to another contruction site.
18th century technology... I bought the whole crew pop and they were as grateful as if was gold.   I was by myself, therefore I could spend a good part of the trip drinking with miners and construction and railroad men. It was a "guy" trip. :)

Ironwood

Steven,

I actually cherish that part of traveling hte most, veiwing how others do and live. I do see the natural spots , but don't care much for the museums and such. I love to view the day to day, 

These are the national historical crew working behind one of the churches in Cusco. Homemade jointer, tablesaw, and handbuilt scaffold out of bambo and wood held together with rebar wire. I love this part of travel.

Steve, your "wide angle shot" is from sungate, yes? We hiked to there also.
               Ironwood

Steven A.

Thats the kind of people I visited with. Many of them were pleased that a tourist would pay attention to them. In Bolivia I stopped at a one man welding shop, the guy makes man powered mine ore carts. A dark old place like the blacksmith shops here in the 30s. He had a Milwaukee grinder though, I mentioned it was made near where I live. " Milwaukee,  bueno, muy bueno" he said with a grin.
The picture is from the trail on the way to sungate. 
I don't care for heights, that trail scared me poopless. Never would have made it up there except that it was dark on the accent so I could not see how far I'd fall if I slipped.

Ironwood

Met a guy near Pueblo Mexico that his great grandfather had a soap factory (now a climbers dorm) and the biggest machine was made in Titusville Pa. before the turn of the century HUGE. He was very proud of it and the stories passed down, he was exstatic that I knew were that was and lived near there and EVEN been there.

Wachu Pichu was even worse (even for someone who climbs, no ropes of course) looked like you would land in Aguas Calientas.!!

FUN, Ironwood

Paschale

So I'm about 80% sure I'm going to head to Costa Rico.  It sounds fantastic!  I've been reading up on things to do and see, and I think I'd head to San Jose first, then explore some of the national parks, do some canopy tours, maybe some whitewater rafting.  But here's what I'm wondering:  should I rent a car while I'm there, is public transportation very workable?  I also understand I'll be going during one of the peak vacation seasons for Costa Ricans...will finding hotels be very difficult? 

Anyway, any suggestions on what to see would be appreciated! 

Handy Andy

Wow, Deadheader, that is some view!  Makes me think of joinin you there.  But no way my wife would ever leave our grandgirls.  Don't think they'd let me go for more than a week either. Carly wants me to take her along on our trips.  Figures she could go divin with me.  Her only concern is if I would hold her on the boat.  Divin looks easy on the video to her.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!