iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some "Whack" Info?

Started by ARKANSAWYER, July 30, 2007, 09:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

I would guess that this load of walnut would be called a "Whack" of logs.  I mean it was pert-near a truck load and pretty good stuff.  There is no clear size to a "Whack" like in a cord or ton.  This leads me to wonder about another pile I gots.

So would you call this pile of walnut a "DOUBLE WHACK" of logs?

ARKANSAWYER

farmerdoug

Arky, I am afraid you are well beyond a whack of logs. :o  I would have to say it looks like you are now in the 'abundance of logs' arena.   ::) :D :D :DIf you want to get back to the 'whack of logs' arena, I will give you my address to have the extra shipped to me.  Then you will be safe again. ;) ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Arky,
I wondered where all the nice Walnut logs had been going!

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Bibbyman

We got plum "Wacky" with walnut logs around here at one time.  You couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a wack of walnut logs.  That was a couple of years ago.  We got them sawn up and gone.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

I was told not long ago that there was no good walnut in Arkansas worth cutting.   ???  So I have just been piling it up wondering when I would hit "Doulble Whack" rating.  Got about 8 mbdft cut and ready to ship with three more TT loads a comming and a whack and Double Whack stack to cut.  And do you think I can get LeeB to come over and help me?  NOT!
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

I'd say a majority of the logs we got up here came from down there.  The Missouri River tends to be the boundary between "good" walnut and "not so good" walnut.  So all you have to do is cut it in the south and bring it to the north to sale it.

One logger I talk to said that he (some time back) would go to southern Missouri and buy walnut logs and haul them north of the river and double his money.

Many, many years ago when my dad cut veneer walnut,  they would not buy veneer logs south of the Missouri river because of mineral stain and bird pecks.
Sawing since '94

Daren

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 30, 2007, 09:53:07 PM
You couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a wack of walnut logs. 

:D.  I love those kinda sayings. "toad strangler" and "gully washer" for a big rain off the top of my head .My Grampa has a million, took my wife -city girl- awhile to catch on but now she uses most of them in the office and makes coffee shoot out of the other ladies noses  :D
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

oakiemac

I need a good whack of wallynut logs. It seems like they have completely dried up around here. I keep asking around but no walnut logs to be found. I could buy them from a logger but I hate paying his prices. :(
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

LeeB

I recon as how being as I'm off an' gone right now it might be a tad tough to help ya jes now Arky. To be quite honest,  I haven't wanted to embarrace myself up agin a sure nuff profesional sawyer. I'll check with my social secretary and see if she can spare me some time to play when I get home.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Norm

You guys in Arkansas sure have lots of office help. Arky's got a sexatary and now I find out Lee's got a social secretary.  :D

I do have lots of walnut though...wonder if we can work a trade. ;D

OneWithWood

Arky, I hate to be the one to break it to ya . . . .but that first pic is a representation of a short whack and the second pic is a representation of a long whack.  You have a ways to go to get to double whack  ;)

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

TexasTimbers

It is a Multi-Whack Arky. I think it is also known in some parts as "Several Consecutive Machinery Payments"

No thanks Mr. Banker . You can get your interest elswhere I don't need a loan anymore. ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

LeeB

Well Norm, I don't really think your other half would appreciate me trading mine to you for a whack o logs. Even if I had a mind to do so, I'm sure it would be cheaper to keep her. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Norm

I know what you mean Lee. I never understood those folks that have more than one wife, heck I can barely afford one. :D

Dave Shepard

Can you convert a whack into metric for me?  ;) ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Furby

thurlow

How about metric into whack?
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Furby

Hmmm..........
KCAHW

How's that ???

SCSawyer

Some body call the police there is where all the walnut in the south went :o I cant find any within 100 mile of my house :-[
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

ARKANSAWYER

Well today the power steering was out of the tractor so it slowed us down a bit today.  But I was able to take photos of a days sawing since I could not remove any bundles of lumber.  We just loaded the logs onto a trailer and then pulled the load and loader down to the mill and moved the logs.  I am not sure if any one has told you but if you have a LT70 and a few hands you can sure cut a whack of lumber in a day.  With an electric mill they have to talk bad about you under their breath because you can hear them.  ;D  ;D  ;D

ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

What happened to the KB loader? 
Sawing since '94

Furby

That's how they moved the logs.
Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on July 31, 2007, 07:16:50 PM
We just loaded the logs onto a trailer and then pulled the load and loader down to the mill and moved the logs.

Larry

I got a big whack of walnut...but it is all in the vertical position.  Who ya selling to?

I figured out why north Missouri veneer walnut is better than the Arkansas veneer.  Arkansas has these really really huge big woodpeckers...when one hits a tree the bark flies. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ARKANSAWYER

Yea, but they taste better then spotted owls.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!