iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuel Reduction

Started by QwikDraw, July 30, 2007, 11:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QwikDraw

Can someone give me an idea what this encompasses.  Is it removal of smaller trees and dead wood on the ground?   Trees to what size?  Raising the canopy/trimming the lower branches?  Trees have to be X number of feet apart?

Thanks, QD

ID4ster

Fuel reduction can encompass several actions. It can be the removal of understory vegetation that is too thick and acts as a fire ladder to larger more fire resistant stems. It could be a broadcast burn after a harvesting operation that site preps the area for planting and reduces the fuel loading at the same time, or it could be a burning of slash piles after a harvesting operation as required by law. If you'll give us more information about your situation or your woodlot we can answer this question in more detail. In your comments you've also described a precommercial thinning which may or may not entail a fuel reduction.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

QwikDraw

I just read that term and didn't understand what it meant.

Thanks...

Ron Scott

From The Dictionary of Forestry:

Fuel Reduction involves Fuel Treatment and Fuel Management.

Fuel Treatment: Any manipulation or removal of wildland fuels to reduce the liklihood of ingnition or to lesson potential damage and resistance to contriol, e.g., lopping, chipping, crushing, piling, and burning.

Fuel Management: The act or practice of controlling flammability and reducing resistance to control of wildland fuels through mechanical, chemical, biological, or manual means, or by fire in support of land management objectives.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!