iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hull-Oakes Lumber Co

Started by JV, July 29, 2007, 10:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JV

While channel surfing this evening, I found something interesting on RFD TV.  It was a

one hour show on the last steam powered sawmill, the Hull-Oakes Lumber Co. in

Oregon.  This was the most interesting show I have watched in a long time.  Here is

a company started during the depression, and with careful management, survived.

Nothing fancy, but good basic practices.  I would like to see that 550 hp engine in

person.  I just checked and it looks like a 117 minute DVD is available.  I think I will order

it tomorrow.  Has anyone actually visited this mill?
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Mooseherder

I just watched it also. It is part of their Classic Tractor series.
It was also the second time I came across that show while channel surfing.
We caught about 40 minutes of it. It was very interesting and educational.
How they keep that mill running with a Steam engine from 1915 is in itself incredible.

Dave Shepard

Is that with Max Armstrong? When my father watches his tractor movies with Max at 130 db he will blow you out of the room.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Gilman

I was going to surprise my fiance with a trip to there on our honeymoon, but I didn't get it arranged in time. :(  I think it is only 3-4 hours from here but haven't made it there yet.

My friend works in field service for Armstrong Mfg (industrial saw grinding equipment, I worked there for a while and designed their auto swager, shaper  www.armstrongblue.com) and he takes overseas customers there a few times a year.  He told me, "yes the boiler is hot, and yes I touched it."

He was there once when they were sawing a 60' beam.  He says it's a must see and the owners are really nice.  I'll try and get some of his photos and post them.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Daren

I caught that too, twice, it was so interesting the first time. I had a vcr tape handy the second time.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Gilman

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

JV

RFD TV is a 24 hour network available on some satellite and cable companies.  It has shows

specifically for rural interests.  Livestock, horses, farming, etc.  They have shows like

the Classic Tractor series with antique tractors and gas engines.  This was the show

that had the Hull-Oakes mill.  Another show that on the network is Rural Heritage,

with interesting features on draft animals and the old ways of farming.  My wife and I

always enjoy many of their shows. 
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Celeriac

My dad and I made it there this spring on a trip to the West Coast.  It is certainly worth the time to stop.  The folks there are nice and we spent some time chatting with one of the owners while waiting for the guide.  It's a slice of living history in the age of computerized log scanners and such stuff.  I have a small video on YouTube --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--/photo_zoom.gne?id=539033240&size=o[/img]
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

Thank You Sponsors!