iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got some new tools

Started by thedeeredude, July 29, 2007, 07:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

:)  I was at an antique tool dealer today.  Wall upon wall upon wall of hand planes, racks of saws, chisels, drawknives, axes, you name it.  I came away with some prizes.  A hand crank grinder by Dimogrit, A hand drill with bit storage in the handle, a brace, a stanley sweetheart hammer, a stanley 220 block, and a Sargent 410c VBM.  I can see it know, in the shop listening to music, hearing the zip of a sharp plane blade through wood.  No loud machines no fingers cutoff in a second.

mike_van

I'll agree with that - I use a hand plane whenever I can, no dust, you get shavings to start the stove, an excellent finish, and no clouds of dust - There are some really snotty pieces of wood though that leave me no choice but sanding.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Dodgy Loner

Sounds like a good find, tdd.  I love old hand tools, too (my favorites are planes and axes).  I finish just about everything with planes and scrapers nowaday, but I'm not ready to give up my jointer with the three-pronged tail just yet, though ;).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!