iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brisket BarBQue

Started by Norm, July 29, 2007, 11:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

We're have a family get together today and I'm trying out my new to me indirect smoker. My son Brett spotted it for sale in front of a small apple orchard. Patty stopped in and bought it for my birthday present albeit a couple of weeks early.

Todays the first day I've used it and I'm trying it out on a beef brisket. Hopefully it turns out alright, I bought hot dogs just in case. :D

Don K

Nice rig Norm, I think I could cook a hog on that. ;D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Mooseherder

Awesome Rig Norm 8)
Those type grills are also perfect for Beer Can Chicken. ;)

Good Luck with the Brisket. Let us know how it turns out. :)

Patty

He put the brisket on this morning at 7:30 or so. It is 10:45 now, and boy does it ever smell good.  8)    Wish I could find that picture of our BBQ boy!  :o
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Brad_S.

Quote from: Norm on July 29, 2007, 11:31:52 AM
My son Brett spotted it for sale in front of a small apple orchard.
Did they throw in a few chunks of apple wood to use as a buying bonus? :D
I can almost smell it from here. digin_2
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

sprucebunny

Cool rig !!!

I'll bet the brisket is goo-oood !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Raider Bill

Those offsets smoke great!
I'd be looking at 1.5 hours for each pound at 225 avg temp. Brisket should fall apart.
What did you use for rub?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Coon

You people are making my mouth water......  I can almost taste that BBQ Beef Brisket all the way up here. :D :D  That is one mighty fine b-day present if you ask me.  I bet it even keeps you even busier than ever cooking for family and friend gatherings. 

A friend of mine has a BBQ setup very similar to the one you now have.  He raises his own pork and him and his wife cater for all kinds of functions such as weddings, anniversaries, family reunions etc.  Joe cooks the best hog around for miles.  We have even used the BBQ for a smoker.  2 years ago we smoked 6 northern pike (that were all 15 lbs. or larger) at one time.  Joe has a smaller barrel that is attached to the unit and inside the barrel you simply light a small fire to put your smoking chips in.  From this small barrel the smoke simply enters the large cooking area providing the smoke.  Works great for hot smoking but as far as cold smoking we haven't really tried it much.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Raider Bill

I have a "cookshack" smoker that I can also cold smoke with using either a thick plate insert inside or a old weber kettle grill connected to the smoke hole escape in the top.
Have cold smoked coffee beans, cheese, nuts and beef.

thurlow

It's hard for me to believe they don't have pig meat in Bangor, IA. and that you have to cook parts of a dead cow on a rig that looks that good.   :D  
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Raider Bill

Hard to beat a good brisket with pig. I love them both but if done right Mr Brisket will trump them all! food3

WV_hillbilly

You are a very lucky man there Norm . I thought I do good in the toy department but you got me whipped . A  dozer and a smoker in the same year . how 's a man supposed to live like that.

Congrats  and Enjoy.
Hillbilly

Raider Bill

WV_hillbilly

It 's a real nice New Holland if I remember right .  All shiny yellow .
Hillbilly

Raider Bill

Wonder if his wife has a sister that wants to become my future ex wife? ;D

Larry

Looks like a well made and attractive smoker. 8) 8) 8) 8)

With all the delicious threads about BBQ in the last couple of months, I've also been thinking about acquiring a smoker.  Let's see...not long till my birthday...wonder if I leave this thread open...will she get the hint? ;D

Of course we will need all the details on how the brisket came out...you can take a short nap after you eat first though. :) :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Larry on July 29, 2007, 01:32:46 PM
With all the delicious threads about BBQ in the last couple of months, I've also been thinking about acquiring a smoker.  Let's see...not long till my birthday...wonder if I leave this thread open...will she get the hint? ;D

TAke a hard look at the CookShack smoker. I can't say enough good about it.
As I type I'm smoking a pastriami. Been on since 11 last night AND I never missed a minutes sleep.

Rocky_Ranger

Ya'll got any good rub recipes?  I got some brisket int the freezer that needs used and the last time I fixed it was delicious.  Need to try and find a good rub to go along with it though, just plain old hickory soaked and on a bed of coals works great but I want to "live" a little........ 8)
RETIRED!

Raider Bill

For Brisket

1 c light brown sugar
4 T garlic salt
1 T celery salt
1 T onion powder
6 T paprika
1 T ground red pepper
1 T dry mustard
2 T black pepper ground
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp thyme
mix and store in a air tight jar.

LeeB

Nice gettup there Norm. I got one like it but it's not mounted on a trailer.
Could somebody tell me about cold smoking?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

RichlandSawyer

Yep Norm, I think i like the new one better!!

Dont even think about touching Patty's BBQ!!!!!

Keep cookin' Norm she's got yer back.
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

Raider Bill

That's a heck of a way to start a fire!
I always thought they sold computers at the end of that road.

Norm

Well the brisket turned out pretty darn good if I do say so myself. The cooker was easy to use but used more wood and charcoal than I expected. I made a run over to our old apple orchard and did some trimming just in case. It took ten hours to do it to 150 degrees on the thermometer. I'm thinking of getting a 100lb pigger to try on it next.

My brother in law showed up and we dug out a bunch of q-sawn wo from my saw shed. Wouldn't you know it the stuff he wanted was at the bottom of a huge pile. When we got done the three of us were soaked with sweat and pretty much done for the day. A cool shower some liquid refreshment and we felt much better.

I didn't  buy the dozer Patty showed in an earlier thread. It just wasn't big enough for what we need to do around here so I sent it back and will most likely look for a decent cat d-6 this fall.

scsmith42

Norm, that is one sweet looking unit!  I haven't had good brisket since my last trip to Texas, and that's been too long!

I can't believe that you didnt' buy that dozer - that means that I still have at least  :D one toy that you don't!

Bill - thanks for posting the recipe - I'm going to have to try that out soon.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

Scott,
You are very welcome! I have a 3 inch loose leaf notebook filled with BBQ recipes if you ever need any. Don't know much about sawing logs but I can Q!

Norm, I generally get my brisket to 190 degrees and hold it there for a few hours so the meat breaks down and tenderizes. Actually the same goes for pig.

Thank You Sponsors!